• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Edporch's Stihl thread reminded me...... Both of my Stihl saws (025 and a slightly newer 170) both leak a LOT of bar oil when sitting. Surely this isn't normal? It looks like it is coming from right where the chain enters the powerhead. Since these are older and well-used saws, I'm wondering if something isn't worn out or out of adjustment?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Could be a bad pump/gaskets. I just had my pump replaced on my 028AV for that very reason. It still leaks, but not nearly as bad.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    My Craftsman Professional series does too. Most saws, do... It is recommended to try and run them out of gas and bar lube before putting them away for storage. Typically in mine, when filled with bar lube the bar lube will last a tank of gas.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    i have four saws of three different brands and they all do that to a degree. some worse than others but they all do. the nature of saw is that they scream their lungs out and vibrate their whole life. you could try hunting down and replacing parts but it may still do it.

i would just store with a different side of the saw facing up or run it close to empty for storage. when you should really worry is when it stops pumping oil and it runs the bar/chain dry.

ps. a lot of the professional grade saws, which certainly includes stihl, have an oil pump output adjustment. i doubt it would have an affect on how fast it would leak during storage but you could try turning that screw closed a little. (adjustment may be backwards of what you think)

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My Stihl MS 460 so far doesn't leak any oil to speak of.

But some Stihl saws also have a small hose that the oil goes through that can sometimes crack.
    Don't ask me where it is.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    My brand new MS362 pro saw has a adjustable oiler that I have turned all the way IP that leaks bad when sitting in the box, just the way it works, I keep it ready to go so I say let it leak, if a tornado or ice storm comes through I don't want to have to do more then pull the rope and go!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Looks like I need to:
    1) Make sure nothing is actually broken (they are certainly lubing fine. They just don't seem to STOP)
    2) If it is adjustable, adjust it (doesn't look to be)
    3) Let 'em leak (might need a drip pan on their shelf)

Last edited:

heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    When I bought my Craftman several years ago the guy working there told me they leak due to built up pressure. Try loosing the oil fill cap after you shut it off to releave the pressure. Works for me.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Looks like I need to:
    1) Make sure nothing is actually broken (they are certainly lubing fine. They just don't seem to STOP)
    2) If it is adjustable, adjust it (doesn't look to be)
    3) Let 'em leak (might need a drip pan on their shelf)

Instead of using a catch can get the case for the saw so it will catch the oil and protect the saw during transit.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    i do. most of the oil leakage comes from the pump itself as there is no valve that closes it or anything when the saw is off. its just a rudimentary worm gear just inboard of the clutch. if you can prop that up it may help. but... some saws have the fill cap on top and some on the side and it depends on your saw because sometimes those might leak too. the other two places it would leak is if the hose itself has a crack or if the hose has simply shrunk due to age (the hose simply passes through the wall of the tank and can leak around the outside of the hose if it has shrank) either way, propping up the saw or storing it upside down "may" help or may just cause it to leak fuel instead. i've rarely seen the actual tank crack.

this was a reply to the question from phil502, i just forget to quote.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My craftmans leaks as well...not concerned about it as long as I check levels before using again

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    026 oil bath.

I have an 026 I bought new in May of 1997 and it has leaked bar oil from day one. I keep it in the Stihl woodsman molded case and there is usually about an eighth of an inch of oil or more in the bottom of the case whenever I need to use it. I just wipe it out with an old rag and wipe the bottom of the saw before use. At least the case keeps all the oil inside and off of the floor or shelf. I also notice that even though the saw has always been stored in a shed or unheated garage there has never been a spot of rust on it anywhere so maybe living in a,"oil rich environment", is good for it.

100_4277_zps87335165.jpg

100_4279_zps477f5942.jpg

100_4280_zpsb9202a29.jpg

Attachments

• cscarry700x473_zpsa4212a40.png
      cscarry700x473_zpsa4212a40.png
      65.2 KB · Views: 3
    • cscarry_1_zps34df2c71.jpg
      cscarry_1_zps34df2c71.jpg
      32.9 KB · Views: 3
    Last edited:

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Thanks Caleb. I have done that too with a towel or an old mechanics shop rag. If it has been too long (more than a few months) since I last used it the towel is usually soaked through and there is still more oil in the case though. I finally gave up on that and just wipe up whatever is there now. I do suppose I could drain most of the bar oil before storing it but for some reason I always think I will need it sooner than is actually the case! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom