Another bombing, this time at a school. Suspect caught!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Seems like destructive devices are the new go-to weapon-of-choice. In this case nobody was injured, thankfully. And they caught the perpetrator who, as it notes, did not run away. Perhaps this was an attempted suicide bombing:

Kiera Wilmot, 16, Arrested And Expelled For Explosive 'Science Experiment'

Perhaps they can ban pressure cookers and fireworks but it's gonna take some doing to get and destroy all those 2 liter pop bottles!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Misleading title. Did you read the article? The "bomb" produces an "unimpressive explosion." SHE (which speaks volumes) was a good student. Even the principal defended her. Doesn't sound anything like criminal intent. Probably a large dose of curiosity with an even larger dose of the inability to think things through and consider the outcomes and consequences, both of which are common characteristics of teenagers.

EDIT: It also didn't happen IN the school, but only on school grounds.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I assumed jwh20 was using the "implied purple", this is a normal teen, never in trouble before, getting caught up in the gears of the industrial educational system, crushed, and spit out.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    It says she was arrested for "detonating" the thing. That sounds suspiciously "bomb like" to me.

It says they charged her with a felony crime of "possession/discharge of a weapon on school property and discharging a destructive device".

I'll stand by my title but I was being totally sarcastic. I've done my share of "detonating" 2 liter Diet Coke bottles with Mentos. But you have to get that cap on REALLY quickly or you just get wet!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This is just idiotic, every adult involved should be ashamed of themselves, teachers, administrators, and police. We need to quit bringing the police to the schools for every little thing, if all you have is a hammer then everything is going to look like a nail, i.e some kid is going to get arrested. Teachers and administrators need to get rid of this zero tolerance mentality and regain the ability to think for themselves and use some common sense (real common sense not liberal "common sense"). If I went by the book while on the trail I would be writing counseling statements day and night and chaptering so many trainees I wouldn't have a platoon left.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Curious or not... this was stupid on her part. She knew what she was doing and knew it didn't belong in school.

No one should be stupid enough to do this type of experiment in a school.... Stupid games... stupid prizes. She deserves what she gets.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Curious or not... this was stupid on her part. She knew what she was doing and knew it didn't belong in school.

No one should be stupid enough to do this type of experiment in a school.... Stupid games... stupid prizes. She deserves what she gets.

I think we found the cranky 80 year old on the forum, because 16 year olds always make wise informed decisions? I'm sure this infraction deserves two felonies and expulsion from school :rolleyes:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    She faces multiple federal felonies. Stupid prizes?

Nothing was damaged and nobody was hurt. I also read that the experiment was outdoors.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I think we found the cranky 80 year old on the forum, because 16 year olds always make wise informed decisions? I'm sure this infraction deserves two felonies and expulsion from school :rolleyes:

And had it blown off someones hand or sprayed toilet boil cleaner in someones eyes would you feel the same way?

What precedence are we setting here? To me this is much more serious than wearing an NRA shirt or bringing a bubble gun to school. Her intentions were to set off an explosive device at school.... The whole "experiment" thing is a bull**** excuse

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Just a guess, but I'm thinking you have to be under 30 years old. When I was in school, it didn't take a phone call to the police to handle problems like this one; the Dean of Men or Dean of Women were plenty well equipped to do the job. "No Tolerance" policies more often than not equal "We don't want to be bothered having to justify ourselves to parents."

And, of course, you ought to keep your above expressed attitude in mind the next time you get butt hurt over others' opinions that "they deserve what they get" on other subjects.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Just a guess, but I'm thinking you have to be under 30 years old. When I was in school, it didn't take a phone call to the police to handle problems like this one; the Dean of Men or Dean of Women were plenty well equipped to do the job. "No Tolerance" policies more often than not equal "We don't want to be bothered having to justify ourselves to parents."

And, of course, you ought to keep your above expressed attitude in mind the next time you get butt hurt over others' opinions that "they deserve what they get" on other subjects.

I'm over 30...

They used to not call the cops when kids showed up with their squirrel gun too... different times and different society.

If I was dean would I have called the police? Hard to say... I'm not the type of person who over reacts so I doubt it.

Do I feel sorry for her because she knowingly committed a crime and is getting charged for it?

NO....​

If the court system fails her and locks her behind bars for life, then it will be an overreaction and a tragedy. However, our justice system is designed to make that call.

She intentionally broke the law.... the fact that the bomb fizzled away and didn't do anything is irregardless of that fact.

Had this kid been Muslim and an immigrant, you guys wouldn't be saying **** right now so save me the violin talk

(well, maybe Rambone would.... but the rest of you would be calling for institutionalization)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    She intentionally broke the law.... the fact that the bomb fizzled away and didn't do anything is irregardless of that fact.

Had this kid been Muslim and an immigrant, you guys wouldn't be saying **** right now so save me the violin talk

(well, maybe Rambone would.... but the rest of you would be calling for institutionalization)

Just remember you said this the next time some would-be Jihadi detonates a bomb in a crowd.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    How is one charged with detonating something that didn't in fact, detonate?

You're correct. This won't stand in court so the prosecutor will probably change the charge to what it was...a homemade chemical bomb, not a destructive device. Not sure what it is in FL but believe its a (class d?)misdemeanor here.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I'm over 30...

They used to not call the cops when kids showed up with their squirrel gun too... different times and different society.

If I was dean would I have called the police? Hard to say... I'm not the type of person who over reacts so I doubt it.

Do I feel sorry for her because she knowingly committed a crime and is getting charged for it?
    NO....​
    If the court system fails her and locks her behind bars for life, then it will be an overreaction and a tragedy. However, our justice system is designed to make that call.

She intentionally broke the law..
    .. the fact that the bomb fizzled away and didn't do anything is irregardless of that fact.

How do we know this 16 year old girl knew she was breaking the law? People break laws that they do not know exist all the time and a few officers have enforced laws that do not exists. :dunno:

Top Bottom