Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    July 29th and 30th

This show is only once a year. It is the same promoter and many of the same vendors that did the Kokomo show before that building was rented to the furniture store. Nice big building with air conditioning and good lighting. Also plenty of free parking.

Located in the tennis center on the Howard county 4-H fairgrounds in greentown.

I've included a couple of pictures from the one we did last year to give an idea of the size of the building.
    IMG_20230723_142046~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230723_142215.jpg
      IMG_20230723_142215.jpg
      488.4 KB · Views: 31

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Is this show as large as Crown Point?
    The one last year was close to the same size as Crown Point. There are significantly fewer dealers this year. I'm assuming it's partly because of the difficulties last year (power outage, tornado warning, highway closure, etc.). Most of the dealers last year said they would return, but a few of the bigger ones did not (some of them have quit doing all shows this summer).
    There are plans in the works to rent another building on the fairgrounds in the spring and fall for a show (this building is only available once a year in July). Gun shows are typically much better attended that time of year, so I think it would be much easier to get dealers to come then.
    From what I heard, there was a good crowd in the morning.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The one last year was close to the same size as Crown Point. There are significantly fewer dealers this year. I'm assuming it's partly because of the difficulties last year (power outage, tornado warning, highway closure, etc.). Most of the dealers last year said they would return, but a few of the bigger ones did not (some of them have quit doing all shows this summer).
    There are plans in the works to rent another building on the fairgrounds in the spring and fall for a show (this building is only available once a year in July). Gun shows are typically much better attended that time of year, so I think it would be much easier to get dealers to come then.
    From what I heard, there was a good crowd in the morning.
    It was a good crowd Brian, The buildings A/C and lighting are awesome.
    Gotta wonder why that building was built without restrooms???
    I heard rumor you were working the store today.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    It was a good crowd Brian, The buildings A/C and lighting are awesome.
    Gotta wonder why that building was built without restrooms???
    I heard rumor you were working the store today.
    11 months out of the year they play tennis there. There are 4 tennis courts, so typically no more than 8 people plus observers in the building at a time. It was never intended to be used for anything else except during the fair. They have a small restroom that we are not allowed to use.

I can usually be found at the store on weekends now that I'm semi-retired. The only show I still attend in person is Crown Point, with few exceptions (I'll be in Greentown half the day tomorrow since the store is closed and it's only a 5 minute drive).

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I was there on Sunday, didn't seem like there were many people or vendors there. I got some sweet Kydex EDC trays made and traded for a Sig 365 XL.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    11 months out of the year they play tennis there. There are 4 tennis courts, so typically no more than 8 people plus observers in the building at a time. It was never intended to be used for anything else except during the fair. They have a small restroom that we are not allowed to use.

I can usually be found at the store on weekends now that I'm semi-retired. The only show I still attend in person is Crown Point, with few exceptions (I'll be in Greentown half the day tomorrow since the store is closed and it's only a 5 minute drive).
    Semi-retired? Say what!?? You ain't old enough. S4!t, I'm 60 and still...um...uh hanging out. I don't like saying the "W" word!!

I was there Saturday for 3 or 4 hours.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I would bet she told him he was to be home from now on.
    She definitely prefers it when I'm home.

After doing gun shows for nearly 30 years, while also running the store, a mowing business, a farm and a table rental business during much of that time, I finally got burned out. My plan was always to work really hard when I was young so that I didn't have to when I got older. It was not uncommon to work 120 hours a week and go for periods of two or three years without a single day off. I got my work ethic growing up on the farm working 16-hour days raising hogs, corn, soybeans and wheat.

I have been to well over 1,000 gun shows. I've literally lived in Merrillville for 2 years and Evansville for a year (one weekend at a time). Many other cities I've spent much of my life in as well.

I sold the rental company last year and also quit mowing last year as well. We just got done transitioning the gun shows to where I have a crew that does them for me now so I can be at the store. The only shows I plan to be at are Crown Point because it's such a busy show, and Greentown for part of the day Sunday because it's only 5 minutes away.

The goal now is to update and reorganize the store. We will be knocking out at least a couple walls and replacing many of the display shelves and racks. I'll also have more time for gardening, canning and raising animals. We are trying to be more self-sufficient and avoid buying factory raised meat when possible. In the past I've kept several bee hives and also made maple syrup but didn't have enough time to continue these hobbies. I'll be doing these things again before long.

I'll also have time to do some shooting and reloading, something that I've not done nearly enough. I haven't had time to do any reloading in over 20 years!

Suffice it to say, I'll still be working part time at the store, but spending most of my time doing other things. I'll still be really busy though!

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Ok, I'll let you slide!
    I got to where I was doing 32 to 36 shows in 4 states a year. I was beyond burnt, I was a crispy fritter left in the hot oil too long so I can sympathize. I got to most shows I was drunk most of the time, those that got Natty Ice or bourbon at my tables can attest I drank too much. I quit drinking when I quit "touring". Done. No more liquor!

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Ok, I'll let you slide!
    I got to where I was doing 32 to 36 shows in 4 states a year. I was beyond burnt, I was a crispy fritter left in the hot oil too long so I can sympathize. I got to most shows I was drunk most of the time, those that got Natty Ice or bourbon at my tables can attest I drank too much. I quit drinking when I quit "touring". Done. No more liquor!
    I remember those days. Gun shows were a whole lot different 20 years ago, lol!

Top Bottom