• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Looking for an ankle gun. My hip gun is a m&p 9c, but am kinda looking for a small gun I can carry on my ankle. If I go the pistol route, I would want to keep it to a .380, and if revolver, probably a .38. If I go the revolver route, I want a hammer. Awhile back, jaredjosh let me shoot his hammerless revolver (sw bodyguard maybe?) and I just thought the pull was too heavy for my liking. I would rather take the extra .5 seconds to cock a hammer than to risk pulling a shot and hitting a bystander. I like the bersa .380 for a pistol, but any ideas for either?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I carry a Kel-Tec P11 10+1 9mm in a Renegade Cozy Partner without any problems. Lousy trigger too but you can practice. Same weight as the S&W Bodyguard and lighter than the Bersa and the same ammo as your M&P.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    The Ruger and such small .380 might conceal better. I would look at weight as your biggest issue in ankle carry. Given my references I'd opt for a small J frame .38 in an airweight frame. The Model 60 is the all steel version which I like.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    My ankle carry (and sometimes primary on my hip when off work) has been a S&W airweight .38 spl, hammer version. I have carried this for about 14 yrs now, on and off duty as a Sheriff deputy. More punch than a .380, and reliable

Ejohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Dublin, IN
    I carry a Glock 27 in an ankle rig, but I stay with .40 cal. They make some nice light carry firearms now. You mightconsider a 9mm single stack. I'm considering a Ruger LC9 or similar for my next buy.

ike1018

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Ruger Lcr 38 in Galco Ankle Glove. Light, comfortable, Smooth trigger, much better trigger than the smiths IMHO

ryanbr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Logansport
    I second the glock 27, main thing is not worrying about the weight. Main thing is to insure you have a good quality Ankle holster to carry it in!

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County

dunk50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    South Bend
    My ankle carry (and sometimes primary on my hip when off work) has been a S&W airweight .38 spl, hammer version. I have carried this for about 14 yrs now, on and off duty as a Sheriff deputy. More punch than a .380, and reliable

What he said! I carried a charter arms 38 in an ankle holster for 34 years on the PD. I now carry it retired and it has never failed me yet. I also carry a Kel-tec P-32 in a wallet holster. I also carry a Kel-tec Pf9 in an ankle because the P11 is thicker and heavier due to the double stack magazine. You cannot beat a 38 for size and weight. Good luck

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Try a Ruger LCR. From what I hear the DA trigger is great. I would advise not to cock a DA revolver during a critical event. That extra half second can be a big difference when it counts. Also a single action pull can go off when you don't want it to in a high pressure, adrenaline filled moment. I would get a revolver with a good DA trigger pull and PRACTICE with it. Just mho.

(Tom Gresham from Guntalk has a great piece about the SA trigger pull if you can find it.)

Hints for Handgun Shoppers | The Women's Outdoor Wire

I know its a womens site but Tom explains the point I was trying to make.

Last edited:

rp8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Highland, Indiana
    I carry one of three guns in a ankle rig, a glock 27, s&w 642 airweight(hammerless), or an interarms ppks. The glock is a bit annoying for ankle carry. The airweight is almost perfect, forget its there sometimes.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Sounds like you haven't tried the trigger of a 642. Absolutely amazing for a double action pull. And it even gets better the more you shoot it.

jchuff87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Some kind of Derringer if it going to be a backup for your carry piece maybe. I wondered that if you carried only on the ankle how fast could it be drawn if it was needed?

Top Bottom