• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    edit: response to post #20 that .223 kills deer too.

Yes, and as I mentioned so does my pellet rifle.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Consider describing your ideal deer rifle.

Well now, that depends on where you are doesn't it? From where I'm sitting looking at the woods that start about 50 feet away I'd want something that doesn't go all off at tangents if it touches a twig and might have a fair chance of busting some branches and still carry enough energy to drop the deer in its tracks so I don't have to spend the next few hours tracking it. That probably means something heavy and slow and since this is Indiana I suppose a 12ga or .44/.45 carbine would do. If I could use it here my .45-70 would do just fine.

Some place with more range it would be something more appropriate. The afore mentioned -06 seemed to work fine in CO for a variety of game.

Whatever you choose it should carry enough energy to make sure that a less than perfect shot will still drop it. .223 is perfectly appropriate for small game.

What's yours?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    223 is more than sufficient for medium game; "energy" matters substantially less than 1. shot placement and 2. bullet design.

Deer don't wear SAPI plates or kevlar.

I've tracked deer far further after hitting them with a 300 grain .54cal muzzleloader slug than I have the two I put down with 223s.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    A lot of guys down south shoot deer with .223 so long as they use the right ammo. I personally would rather have something a bit bigger but that's just me. Some of those same idiots will shoot with a 300WM though I've been told too which I see no point in what so ever.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Consider describing your ideal deer rifle.

Sure but for what species of deer ?
    Sika on the eastern shore of MD and Va along with parts of texas ?
    65 to 200+ lb white tails in different parts of the country.
    Either of the two black tail or blacktail deer or
    Mule deer.
    And a few subspecies I missed.
    Which one are we talking about ?

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    22 has its advantages over larger rounds.

You can carry 500 rounds in your front jean pocket
    It will get the job done on 95% of what you need it to do
    it is not as loud when fired so as to not alert the rest of the zombies of your position. Easier to suppress too.

I'm not saying just take a 22 but I would want one with me

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Some years back I read about a gun that the FBI said they would pay 1,000,000 for. It was used in some twenty murders. They claim it's a S&W K22. This is not saying that the 22 is for home defence. It is saying that people are killed with 22s. Lots of people have been killed with 22s. Don't foo foo the 22. It could save your life. I would rather have it than a sharp stick or a rock.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    There are also situations where a .22 rifle would be better than a larger caliber handgun.

Look at that shootout in L.A. about 20 years ago with the two bank robbers in body armor. All the police had were handguns and they could have easily taken the guys down with a 10/22 aimed at the back of the neck.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    You shot deer with .223?

i killed a boar in South Georgia with a .223.

Dead within 10 feet.

Another in our party shot one with a 30-06. Twice.
    And I thought I might have to help him out with a well placed shot after his pig treed our outfitter.

Shot placement shot placement shot placement.

Deadeye(+)

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2015
    Bainbridge
    Others have put some very good points out there that I agree with. .22 is a good caliber, deadly past 200 in the right hands. But there's also the fact of what you may be against. 5.56 will out range and out power you every time not to mention anything larger. But it has its place. It's light, quiet, and very low recoil, which allows for faster and more accurate shooting. It's all based upon situations

Top Bottom