• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jburns89

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I heard someone manufactured a special kind of .380 ammunition specifically for the Ruger LCP, but I did not find who manufacured it. Can anyone help me out with this?

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Yes it was the Hornady critical defense. Or that was one of the ammunitions tested, and the one recommended in "Guns and Ammo" testing......... or mabey American Rifleman magazine.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The only .380 round I would trust for expansion, penetration and jacket core adhesion is the Remington Golden Saber 102gr. I trust the Federal HST most in my other handguns, but Federal does not make HST's in .380 caliber.

My Golden Saber spitter:
    mylcpin1.jpg

chromegrill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    You must have never seen the vid of the Hornady ammo. Almost 12" of penetration in gelatin and opened up fully, the Rem GS is nowhere near that.

The only .380 round I would trust for expansion, penetration and jacket core adhesion is the Remington Golden Saber 102gr. I trust the Federal HST most in my other handguns, but Federal does not make HST's in .380 caliber.

My Golden Saber spitter:
    mylcpin1.jpg

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I did in fact see the video... I choose to disregard any manufacturer marketing materials and claims. And I choose to focus on 3rd party and end-user obtained information.

I was very excited about the new Hornady product when it was first announced, but I haven't seen anything that makes this product special in real-world testing. You will find some real-world references to Hornady in these links KTOG Forum - Links to .380 Ammo Tests.

I really have no horse in this race. I prefered the PMC Starfire 380 because is was designed by the same guy who invented the HST technology and had many of the same characteristics. After reviewing all the information I could find, I finally choose the GS 102gr round for its superior performance against all the top SD ammo types available. If the Hornady Critical defense ammo starts to show itself superior in unbiased 3rd party testing... I'll be all over it.

I am in the business of marketing, and I can tell you that manufacturers have no problem manipulating what the customer sees, in an all-out effort to get you to buy thier brand. Man... I really hate those marketing guys.:D

chromegrill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Even in the links you gave, I still like seeing personal tests for the Hornady with almost 12" of penetration, with bullets almost to .5 expansion in some cases, which is what the manufactuer says.

Top Bottom