• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    You think he thought he really won those awards, but they simply forgot to have the ceremonies? Saw it on his DD-214, and was like "Yep, they just forgot to give them to me, no skin, it's on my 214, so it's the troof."

Sometimes I agree with you man, but sometimes I think you just like to tear folks down. Whatever you get out of it, I hope it is worth it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And often, medals don't get through the system till after you're out.
    Rules change.
    Medals are added.

Heck, they're still awarding medals from previous wars.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The question is whether he actually earned those awards or not. If he didn't, and by some mistake they appeared on his DD214, should he be able to claim the honors for those additional awards? I say no. An honorable person would immediately point out the mistake, would they not?

You are assuming the intentions of those who broke the story are honorable. Medals for valor don't just appear.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sometimes I agree with you man, but sometimes I think you just like to tear folks down. Whatever you get out of it, I hope it is worth it.

Thieves and liars, living or dead, can't stand them, and never will. I'd rather know. If finding the truth is tearing someone down, I'll accept it.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have awards that are on my 214 w/o any damn ceremony also. I also have service time and promotions from The Marine Corp w/o "proper" documentation due to long ago circumstances. Anybody that wants to meet up and accuse me of anything is welcome to climb out from behind their keyboard and make an appointment. I'm not dead and can and will defend myself from your petty crap.

Bob

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have awards that are on my 214 w/o any damn ceremony also. I also have service time and promotions from The Marine Corp w/o "proper" documentation due to long ago circumstances. Anybody that wants to meet up and accuse me of anything is welcome to climb out from behind their keyboard and make an appointment. I'm not dead and can and will defend myself from your petty crap.

Bob

Do you also have other allegations of making stuff up, that would have people question your future truthfulness?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sometimes INGO just makes me shake my head in disbelief. :dunno:

KJQ, no one is taking away from Kyle's accomplishments on the battlefield. But I'm not ready to Saint a guy who is at best a braggart who relies heavily on hyperbole, and at worst an unapologetic murderer (not related to his overseas service).

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    "The difficulty surrounding the discrepancies are compounded by the fact that some of the records in Kyle's file, who was discharged in 2009, were compiled from non-computer based systems earlier in his career, Pau said."

I read this as military-speak for some of the records were paper and might have been lost/misplaced instead of being converted to the computer system. I.e. a government employee might have circular filed some paperwork rather than typing it in. Egads! This is a first! (ummm, the near admission, that is, not the actual happening)

"Pau told CNN. "The form DD214 is generated locally at the command where the service member is separated. Although the information on the DD214 should match the official records, the process involves people and inevitably some errors may occur."

Yes, it's entirely possible the personnel responsible for generating the DD214 were incapable of counting to 1 and 3, respectively, and instead came up with 2 and 5. (buckets of purple)

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Mines not accurate. I got one a year after I got out.

I never recieved one from the Marines as by the time it was mailed, I was in the Army and not living at the address they had mailed it to.
    Doesn't mean i didn't do it. Some people have issue with that as I don't have the "proof". Screw 'em. On my retirement form it list me as a Basic Marine with no promotions, awards etc for the over 3 years I was with them. It does credit my time so in the end that's what important I guess.

Bob

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I never recieved one from the Marines as by the time it was mailed, I was in the Army and not living at the address they had mailed it to.
    Doesn't mean i didn't do it. Some people have issue with that as I don't have the "proof". Screw 'em. On my retirement form it list me as a Basic Marine with no promotions, awards etc for the over 3 years I was with them. It does credit my time so in the end that's what important I guess.

Bob

Bob

Start Your Military Service Record (DD Form 214) Request

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I've seen so many clerical errors it's ridicous. My Enlisted Record Brief had a bunch of holes in it last year, and I had to provide the documents to get them corrected. Mind you, some of those were in another database, but hadn't made it to the ERB, and others were missing altogether. Heck, I've had to update the same mistake on a simple contact roster 4 months in a row before.

The point is, there is obviously an error here, and it's hard to say which way it goes. While DD214's routinely contain errors, I would place more confidence in its accuracy than what can be obtained through a FOIA request. Kyle was a big talking Texan, and that tripped him up, but calling him a liar over this is shaky at best.

The truth in these matters can be quite elusive. So before we get too entrenched in one position or another, maybe it's best to wait for proof.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    One what?
    Just some ribbon to put on my class A uniform that was probably already dropped off at Goodwill.
    The funniest part of it was, it was for some joint forces exercise that I didn't even participate in. My wife was due any day with our first, and my equipment went, but I didn't.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Probably a medal.

When you get out, medal applications still get processed.
    Decoration (meritorious service/outstanding achievement/heroism)? Medal (Campaign/Good Conduct/National Defense/Korean Defense/GWOT-E/S)? Unit Award (there's a bunch)? Misc ribbon of some sort? Big difference between Silver Star or BSM with Valor device and (in my case) Air Force Outstanding Unit Award (my DD 214 is short an oak leaf cluster, not really a big deal).

Also, what did the FOIA request, request?

Top Bottom