• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm forwarding this information and video that I was sent from a friend. It is truly a touching video and speaks to the amazing men and women who serve in our armed forces. :patriot:

http://www.militarytimes.com/multimedia/video/rpg_surgery/

The story is about Channing Moss, who was impaled by a live RPG during a Taliban ambush while on patrol. Army protocol says that medivac choppers are never to carry anyone with a live round in him. Even though they feared it could explode, the flight crew said damn the protocol and flew him to the nearest aid station. Again, protocol said that in such a case the patient is to be put in a sandbagged area away from the surgical unit, given a shot of morphine and left to wait (and die) until others are treated. Again, the medical team ignored the protocol. Here's a short video put together by the Military Times, which includes actual footage of the surgery where Dr. John Oh, a Korean immigrant who became a naturalized citizen and went to West Point , removed the live round with the help of volunteers and a member of the EOD (explosive ordinance disposal) team. Moss has undergone six operations but is doing well at home in Gainesville , GA. I think you'll find the video absolutely remarkable.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm forwarding this information and video that I was sent from a friend. It is truly a touching video and speaks to the amazing men and women who serve in our armed forces. :patriot:

Dr. Ed Feldman received a Silver Star for removing a live mortar round from a Marine's abdomen at Khe Sanh in 1968. Here's the text of his citation:

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Lieutenant (MC) Edward M. Feldman (NSN: 0-724224), United States Navy, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving as Surgeon of the First Battalion, Twenty-Sixth Marines, THIRD Marine Division, in connection with operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam, on 21 January 1968. When the Khe Sanh Combat Base came under heavy mortar and rocket attack on 21 January 1968, a wounded Marine was taken to the Battalion Aid Station where preliminary examinations revealed a metal object protruding from a wound in his abdominal region. Further examination disclosed the possibility of the object being a live enemy mortar round. Quickly assessing the situation, Lieutenant Feldman directed the erection of a sandbag barricade around the patient over which he would attempt to operate and summoned an ordnance expert to identify the object and assist in removing the suspected explosive device from the injured man. Disregarding his own safety, Lieutenant Feldman removed his helmet and armored vest and exposed himself to the danger of a possible explosion as he began to operate. Displaying exceptional professional ability while performing the delicate surgery under flashlights, he succeeded in removing the live round from the Marine and directed an assistant to carry it outside for disposal. By his courage, exceptional professionalism and selfless devotion to duty at great personal risk, Lieutenant Feldman undoubtedly saved the life of a Marine and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service.
    Action Date: 21-Jan-68
    Service: Navy
    Company: Battalion Surgeon
    Battalion: 1st Battalion
    Regiment: 26th Marines
    Division: 3d Marine Division

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I just watched the video for the 3rd time...

Seeing the video really makes you realize that there is still greatness in this country.

Top Bottom