• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well with what I found last summer?? I would think for those that dont clean and store in a low humidity steel box you could have a problem. I was really surprised when I pulled a handful out of that can and the bullets felt like 220 grit sandpaper. Its been over 20 years since I had loaded them, but I didn't expect that.
    I've never has much problems with them when I used them. It was stainless steel barrel, and I was a guy that had to clean every time I used my firearms. Nowadays I've learned that isn't required for typical range guns.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've never has much problems with them when I used them. It was stainless steel barrel, and I was a guy that had to clean every time I used my firearms. Nowadays I've learned that isn't required for typical range guns.
    I run both carbon and stainless, I've not seen rust in any of the carbon barrels.
    I will pay better attention since what I have seen and you have read.
    Thanks

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    So... I finally found that old can of bullet lube. I coated some.45 Lead bullets, easy peasey. Poured in a small amount, maybe a third of a cup. Poured it over some bullets and shake/ tumbled until they were dark charcoal colored. Poured the batch into a colander over another bowl to catch the drippings. I poured another 500 bullets into the second bowl and shook those... I poured all of the bullets onto a heavy screen to dry. I tried to pour any left over lube back but it was already set up in the bowls and colander . In 20 minutes or so, all the bullets were covered with a hard coat of lube.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    So... I finally found that old can of bullet lube. I coated some.45 Lead bullets, easy peasey. Poured in a small amount, maybe a third of a cup. Poured it over some bullets and shake/ tumbled until they were dark charcoal colored. Poured the batch into a colander over another bowl to catch the drippings. I poured another 500 bullets into the second bowl and shook those... I poured all of the bullets onto a heavy screen to dry. I tried to pour any left over lube back but it was already set up in the bowls and colander . In 20 minutes or so, all the bullets were covered with a hard coat of lube.
    I'm still not absolutely sure what's in this stuff, but while I was working with it , I had one of those smell related flashbacks. My mother used carnauba wax on all her old floors. I'm pretty sure that I'm smelling the same thing.
    So far, I think the fluid is acetone, which smells like fingernail polish remover, and carnauba wax. The powder that's suspended in it is black , and graphite is used in some bullet lubes. I'm getting closer.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I remember on Castboolits.com about 12 years ago a recipe for homemade bullet lube, but not all of it. It had Alox and Johnson & Johnson paste wax.
    Another member was lubing .358's. Fill a baking sheet with bullets standing up , pour melted crayons around them. He swagged a 357 casing so that a bullet would go about halfway into the casing. Made a spring loaded push rod to remove the bullet.

Top Bottom