• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I wanted a lever action carbine with an octagon barrel. Carbines come with a standard barrel, though you could get a rifle with an octagon barrel. I figured it would be easier and less expensive to get the barrel of a rifle cut down, than have a custom barrel made. I took some recommendations from others here at INGO. I went to AllenM with the idea and a Rossi M92. (24" octagon barrel in .44 mag) I neglected to take a "before" shot. Here are some "during" and "after".

Long barrel marked and ready for the cut.

In the lathe.

Barrel and Magazine shortened.

At home, with the new front sight. You can see a target crown.

Finished product.

I am happy with the work and now have the gun I wanted. Can't wait to shoot it.:yesway:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    What is the finished barrel length? Rossi makes a 92 with a 20" octagon barrel. Regardless, looks like Allen did a great job as always! :ingo:

It's 18". I wanted 16" or 17" but it wouldn't have looked right, the rifle has a longer forearm than the carbine. Magazine went down from 12 to 9 rounds. Butt stock will get a leather piece made in the future to hold extra rounds. Thinking about a large loop lever too.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks for posting Al.
    It was only the 3rd lever gun I have ever worked on but I have to admit it was a fun project. I like the balance and looks much better then the 24" version.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Looks great.. I still hate the stocks on the rossi. It is the single most painful design I've ever shot...

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    89   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Looks great.. I still hate the stocks on the rossi. It is the single most painful design I've ever shot...

Yeah, I'm hoping that a leather piece with a recoil pad will help. I've seen some nice looking leather work online and they look way better than the typical black recoil pad. Not sure but I'll probably have to take that curve off the end of the stock.

Top Bottom