• which is the lesser of 3 evils?

• Total voters

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    OK which is the lesser of 3 evils? Set all Legality aside.. Because I know cannabis is not legal. But take in thought the health risks and benefits. The impairment factor of the 3. The social/physiological impact, and may other none defined factors. Below are my opinons... And for reader info I'm an X-Smoker of both 6yrs now and I do drink maybe 2 times a month.

Cigs= cause cancer. They are a dirty and rude habit affecting people around the smoker directly. They are easy to get and most smokers smoke near 20 of them daily. (far more used than cannabis or alchy.)
    lung cancer cause by ciggs kill 100000+ people daily.

Cannabis/weed/pot= OMG people are going crazy...lol (crazy slow)
    could cause cancer (not known for it) could lead to over eating. obesity, laziness, self entertainment. masturbation, lol (my teens...lol) Umm cause paranoia, depression, irrational thoughts mostly- (due to watching out for the Leo's) never heard of this killing anyone (sure its possible) and this is natural and had no additives (unlike cigarettes or alchy) And people don't kill other people because they smoked 1 to many and are pissed off. unlike with alchy

Alcohol = Readily available and advertised! Fun to drink. Some taste like candy and berries. Can even be made into a desert. Its also responsible for impairing people of many hours. If you drink too much you die. (happens every day almost every minute by statistics) not to mention drunk driving deaths and deaths due to drunken anger.

My current opinion is that cannabis is the lesser of 3 evils. Im not set on this opinion and would love evidence to sway my opinion.

My dad does all 3 but only 2 of them is killing him and the other helps with the pain.... can us guess wich 2 is going to kill him?

Seems like a good form of population control and marketing making the most deadly drugs the legal ones....

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'd have preferred one that said which is the GREATER evil.

In which case I would vote for cigarettes.

Alcohol and marijuana fall into the same category IMO. Medically they do as well. If one is legal, both should be.

In any event, all three should be legal for consenting adults. It's your body, if you want to trash it, it's up to you.

2 pathetic attempts to outlaw (or continue the ban) for cig's and weed are both B.S. and I will put both to rest now.

"makes people commit crimes". Alcohol is the contributor to far more violence than pot. Period. As to punishing recreational use of either when the user is at home and not driving impaired for example, it's the same thing for punishing a gun owner because they MIGHT commit a crime. Asinine.

"causes medical problems". First off, what doesn't? Children who ingest high amounts of high fructose corn syrp as kids are nearly 10 times more likely to develop type 2 onset diabetes. Should we ban corn syrup too? When I got life insurance we had to take a number of tests and make certain affirmations. One of which was being a non smoker. They preform tests to find out if you are on different drugs including pot or tobacco. Same deal can be done for people with health insurance and premiums. Just like people who drive a sports car pay higher premiums than people who drive a prius.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I really wanted to add Bacon to the list... Ive been eating bacon like crazy lately. I think I have an addiction. Its either bacon or tacos which is more addicting?...lmao

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Health effects aside, alcohol probably has the most indirect damage to innocents. Pot slightly leads in longer term, chronic degradation of drive and personal priorities but lags behind alcohol in immediate threat to others.

Evilest - Alcohol
    Evil - Pot
    Diet Coke of Evil - Cigs (just one calorie... not evil enough;))

Just my opinion and ONLY based on threat to others. Health problems and your own personal stake in life are your own to choose.

NWI40cal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Hammond
    Oh WHAT?! Skim milk!?! yuck! It's like drinking milk flavored water, no consistancy! whole and 2% mmm smooooth.

"My current opinion is that cannabis is the lesser of 3 evils. Im not set on this opinion and would love evidence to sway my opinion.

My dad does all 3 but only 2 of them is killing him and the other helps with the pain.... can us guess wich 2 is going to kill him?"

I believe this also, Medicine all the way. Epilepsy, multiple sclerosis (Montel Williams is an advocate), glaucoma, serious pain, migraines.. the list of diseases utilizing medical marijuana is ever growing.

Last edited:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I don't drink much, and never drive if I do.
    I haven't smoked in 8 years.
    I've never even seen pot.

*votes for Sex as his vice de'jure*

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I voted for cigs as the least.

Tobacco is addictive, yes, and it isn't good for you. But other than being slightly light headed if you aren't used to it and a bit jittery from the nicotine, it more or less harmless in the short term.

Booze, well we know all about its side effects and it can lead to plenty of damage, up to and including death and death of others.

Weed. While some claim it isn't addictive, I have seen many people who crave it very much like a cigarette. Its effects aren't as bad as alcohol as it is depressant that acts like a proper depressant, unlike booze where it ruins your reactions and motor skills, but makes you think you are full of energy. So the worst a pot head will do is...... not do anything.

Booze = worst
    Weed = middle
    Cigs = weakest

BTW, I just realized that this post is a little funny coming from someone with an avatar of a guy huffing paint. ;)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Any and all of the substances are addictive and potentially dangerous. Being someone that has been around all three:
    Alcohol: dangerous, but in moderation okay to a degree. It is probably the easiest to abuse and is approved by the government.
    Cigs: Many european tobacco companies and similar have no additives in their smokes/tobacco. Why cant the American industries get rid of all the crap in theirs?! I have worked in the tobacco industry for over 5 years. Both have tar and nictotine, but American cigs are chock-full-o-crap. Both will clog your lungs and arteries (nicotine enters the bloodstream and can build up deposits) but can be moderated.
    Grass: Chemicals still present, more efffects than cigs, but not as potent (all in all) as alcohol in ability to make someone do something stupid (people high driving is proven to be less detrimental as a drunk person, but both are bad). If regulated and taxed, LSD and other additives to marijuana would disappear and marijuana would be "safer" at least to the user as some marijuana sellers add crap to the product.

I've known many pot heads that were very active people. I dont think it's the pot that make's people lazy, its the lifestyle of the pothead. Many are younger people that wont do anything anyways :D, but also the "pot head" lifestyle is one of lethargy and laziness. Its usually the cheapest of the drugs available and commonly purchased by people that are (probably) too lazy to buy harder drugs. Crack is absolutely positively evil to me, and by it's extension, cocaine is bad stuff too. Meth dealers should have their bodies burned alive and souls admonished to the damnation of Hell's grim tyrant. Why? Both were "developed" drugs, drugs that were made to make money and enslave people. I've never heard that with marijuana.

Ive known some cig smokers that run and stuff. It's not addictive to them, only an after a huge dinner treat or while drinking. American tobacco to me is lost to the annals of evil. They knowingly take a great product (I am a pipe and cigar nut) and taint it with industrial by products. We have wonderful soil in the US for some of the best lighter shade tobacco in the world, but thrown away due to people wanting to give cigs more "pop" by adding crap. The best smoke I've ever had was a Degaulier (French cig, no filter!!!), followed by Dunhill Reds. Both Euro smoke, but yet to have find a great American tobacco (this also includes American sourced tobacco for cigars and pipes).

I have, in actuality, known very few people that weren't alcoholics. i used to be the type that would wake up in the morning, turn on my side, grab bottles next to the bed, shake them to find a full one and hair of the dog that bit me. I would definitely say that alcohol is the hardest (if addiction of all three is developed) addiction to break. Took me 2 years and I still dont have it beat. The problem is the cold turkey approach. Never works for some folks, but a gentle weaning and LOTS of gum chewing gets one along just fine. I can say without a doubt that I am a moderate person in my drinking.

I think with all items given for voting, they are bad and good, but also filled with shades of gray.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Did not vote. Never have used any of the three, have strong opinions on all.

As far as "cost to society" it's a tough call.

As far as "danger to society" cigarettes would be the least by far IMO, at least now that smoking is not allowed in the places I frequent, though there is the occasional cherry in the lap which causes car accidents.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I did not vote as well. As posted by Karlsbunker, the lesser of three evils is still evil.

I would say that alcohol is at the heart of a lot of pain and problems in our society. Cigarettes kill thousands every year as well.

But I don't think we need one more "vice" legalized. People don't quietly trash themselves in the corner of their apartment with no effects on society. You've got drunk driving deaths, health issues with smoking that we all pay for, etc. The fact that pot is illegal keeps many people from trying it. I think that's a good thing. :twocents:

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I can't really comment on what the worst thing on here is because I don't smoke and I've never done drugs. I rarely drink. But YES, I am still fun to be around.. :D There's a more in depth article via the Environmental Graffiti link below.

I saw this article though and thought I'd share it

Mad Medicine: Sinus Infection? Try Marijuana!

Good news and bad news, pot smokers. Marijuana contains highly-effective antibiotics that could be the key to stopping antibiotic-resistant bacteria. But unfortunately if you smoke the stuff, you become more vulnerable to infection — probably due to smoke damage in your lungs. Nevertheless, your prescription for medical marijuana just got a lot more useful. New research confirms that molecules found in pot called cannabanoids are powerful antibiotics. According to Environmental Graffiti:
    Scientists studying cannabis related antibiotics were now able to pinpoint the basic backbone structure that is common to all cannabanoids, to be the active component in killing off bacteria. Now that the bio-active section of the cannabanoid molecules has been identified, researchers and drug makers are busy developing and testing antibiotic drugs as well as considering potential uses for cannabanoids in various soaps and cleaning products. At present they are focusing their efforts on the derivatives of the non-psychoactive cannabanoids. This is presumably because the US FDA, and other governing bodies world-wide, might have a hard time with people getting high in order to cure a bacterial infection.
    But aren't people with really bad infections the ones who are most in need of a good high? I mean, think about it. When you're sick, you're usually so out of it that all you can do is sit on the couch and watch all the episodes of True Blood stored on your DVR. Wouldn't a nice buzz make that experience better in every possible way?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I was going to add that weed is good for sinus infections. Thanks spasmo for beating me to it. It's also good to help get over the common cold.

Obivously from my last thread on this, my list goes Alchy, cigs, pot in order of greatest to least. While smokes are more harmful no matter how many you smoke everyday, they have almost NO medicinal properties at all. Alcohol has many uses including getting over hang overs, help in getting over the flu, pain reliever, and helps to treat open wounds. Unfortunately alchy is by far the most abused and most addictive. Pot has many many uses beyond it's medicinal value such as rope and things, but however addictive people make you believe it is, it's not that addictive. I quit cold turkey while I can't even put my smokes in the trash without crying and pulling them back out! Marijuana has mind effects that we have yet to fully understand but knowing that, addiction to pot is more mental than it is physical. People feign for pot because they realize it's better than drinking a fifth of Jack.

Have you EVER seen anyone get violent while smoking pot, only pot, and nothing besides pot? I highly doubt it. But I bet we all know someone who isn't allowed to drink because their behavior is WAY too violent.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, any bashing in this thread the mods will shut it down. Just a warning. happened before, rather not see it happen again! Thank you have a nice day! :)

Top Bottom