AK Muzzle Velocity Test (AK, Draco, Mini Draco)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Mar 14, 2008
    I would love to see the same done with 7", 11" and 16" AR15's if you have not done so already. One reason I went with an AK to SBR was due to velocity being a critical part of the .223's lethality and the risk of a shorter barrel reducing effective range tremendously.

A chrono could help test the theory by measuring speeds.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Interesting stuff. I wonder what the break point is, with the popularity of going to a 14- 14.5 inch barrel and adding a permanent flash hider to keep your OAL at 16. Not sure about that 100 yard limit though, that AK Gabe was hitting with at 500 had a 12.5 inch barrel. (scratch that, it was a 5.45.)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'm kind of impressed with the velocity from the short barrel even though there was a big drop off from the full size 16". I wonder if you went the other way and had a longer than 16" barrel... Do SKSs have longer barrels?

MilitaryArms

Master
    Apr 19, 2008
    I'm kind of impressed with the velocity from the short barrel even though there was a big drop off from the full size 16". I wonder if you went the other way and had a longer than 16" barrel... Do SKSs have longer barrels?
    The Yugo SKS has a 20" barrel, I know because I have one. I didn't test it, but I should have thrown it in there.

It's my understanding that the 7.62x39 was optimized for the 16" barrel. You shouldn't see a 400fps increase in velocity, but I don't know because I haven't fired it over the chronograph. I'll do that next time I have the chrony out to the range.

cwillour

Expert
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks for the post. I have been wondering about the impact of the shorter Draco barrel vs a full-size AK. Since you gave a nominal effective range for the SBR of 100-125yds, did you still use a 100yd sight-in or shorten it up for your red-dot?

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    post-721-12665434476574_thumb.jpg

Number 2 and Number 3 are 20" barrels.

Top Bottom