• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    DO NOT SIMPLY WHACK WITH A HAMMER. you'll risk torquing the steel and then your accuracy will go to crap.
    First, On your ak, there will be pins that are driven into the steel between the barrel and the front sight post. remove those pins with a punch, then align the sight, then purchase some steel tube stock in an apropriate width (slightly larger than the previous pins), drill out a larger diameter hole using the previous holes as your guide, and then cut your round steel stock to size and hammer into place.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    DO NOT SIMPLY WHACK WITH A HAMMER. you'll risk torquing the steel and then your accuracy will go to crap.
    First, On your ak, there will be pins that are driven into the steel between the barrel and the front sight post. remove those pins with a punch, then align the sight, then purchase some steel tube stock in an apropriate width (slightly larger than the previous pins), drill out a larger diameter hole using the previous holes as your guide, and then cut your round steel stock to size and hammer into place.

+1 this!!!! Way more safe. Can I ask why are you changing the pins? I just want to learn.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    I've only done it once and am by no means an expert. However, I had a similar issue and spoke with Jim Fuller via Rifle Dynamics. [Incidentally, the only thing I've ever purchased from them have been some AK Mags, despite that Jim was willing to speak to me for 5 minutes, great guy.] This was the method described by him to do it.

The reasoning behind this is to create a more solid union between the front sight post and the barrel. If you adjust it and use the same sized pins (drilling with a similar diameter bit to re-cut the edge of the barrel) you will have a weaker union, and the front sight could get whacked and tilt back to it's original cant/become loose.

At least, that was my understanding and the way that I went about fixing the issue when a friend brought one to me.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    I picked up some scrap at Moab to do it, while I was grabbing some mild steel for pistol targets. I think you can also find something at any lowes, true value, menards, etc.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would make sure you shoot it first prior to touching the sights. There might be a reason the sight is cranked over in one direction, and once you straighten the post, you'll have a hard time finding zero.

I've done the whack it with a hammer method. Works really well. If that doesn't do it, the method outlined above is the way to go.

Top Bottom