• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Can ingo's AK experts recommend a very high quality AK to me? Or maybe a Galil? Chambered in 7.62 x 39

I've always figured I would get an Arsenal, not sure which one.

Want full length and suppressor ready. Thanks!

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Can ingo's AK experts recommend a very high quality AK to me? Or maybe a Galil?

I've always figured I would get an Arsenal, not sure which one.

Want full length and suppressor ready. Thanks!
    Krebs: https://www.krebscustom.com/

I also have AKs from Mike at TFL. I bought several of those Bulgarian SLR-95s thumb holes and had them re-done in 2005-2006 by TFL and I have one of his MLS99s. Solid pieces: https://firinglineoklahoma.com/

There are several others but these are the only "high end" AKs that I have.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am very pleased with my ZA ZPAP. Picked it up for 9 bills. Not certain how high on the hog you want to eat but for a line AK, I am very happy with ZPAP.

The Galils you mention are fantastic, several small things that I am not happy with but truly quality pieces.

For AKs, I would start by watching Misha's vids (William Trotter he is gun shop owner in Arkansas but went by Mike [Misha] when he taught English in Russia).

Attachments

• 1612883760724.png
      1612883760724.png
      2.9 MB · Views: 6
    Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have noticed in several pictures I have seen of American troops carrying AK's, 47 or 74 I don't know which but I'm curious of the rational, can someone explain?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What caliber? 7.62, 5.45 or 5.56?

Of course, all of those are covered by Polish models, which I'm quite fond of.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    First of all, I'll second your nod on the Zastava. Love my ZPAPM70 and can't recommend it enough (and have tried doing so repeatedly across this great forum).

"High quality" feels a bit subjective, so perhaps a bit of context is needed? Are you looking for a 7.62x39 gun or another chambering? For suppression are you leaning toward a more AK-friendly, forgiving Wolverine or a tighter toleranced can?

I love factory Bulgarians, and the stamped SLR-107FR (not the newer SLR-107R) and the milled SAM7 are both terrific guns IMO. I'd say the SAM is going to have a bit higher and more consistent overall QC, but the FR is my favorite AK series. Barrel concentricity is not guaranteed but they are very solid guns overall.

The VEPR series is another well buttoned machine from Russia. The FM models need the least (i.e. "no") modification, and barrels are concentric from my experience. A VEPR FM with a tuned KNS piston, a suppressor, and Brown Bear subsonics is a pretty gnarly formula. One of the "Cadillacs" of factory import AKs if that is still a decent analogy.

Fully ready to be burned by my INGO AK comrades at the bayonet stake here, but Chinese AKs are just *meh* to me. I've owned AK variants - factory and kit builds - from nearly every nation that has manufactured them, and Chinese AKs are the only ones I have chosen to divest of. Nothing wrong with most of them at all ... I just think there is more folklore and legend (pardon the pun) surrounding them, and nothing I have read or experienced on my own makes them any better or worth crazy more money than others I believe to be superior variants. That's just me - take it with a grain of salt.

I'd rank Krebs Customs (Marc Krebs) and Rifle Dynamics (Jim Fuller) in the boutique "gucci gun" camp. Fine builds for the most part, but they are wildly overpriced (again, in my humble opinion) for what you're getting, and they still rely on a lot of the same combloc and US-made components that come in everything else we can get our hands on. If you want to take the kit build or customization route, I can steadfastly recommend some experienced builders who demand your wallet and your patience, but who do a phenomenal job well worth your time and money.

Finally, about that Galil. Ah yes, the mighty ACE. An Israeli evolution of the Finnish Valmet's evolution of the Russian AK-47. It's a not quite AK but with all the heart and guts and related soul of its Russian ancestor. And it's incredible, simply incredible. I am definitely biased and have a fair amount of money invested in the ACE, but it's an astonishingly good gun. The rifle handguards are trash, but there is plenty of aftermarket support if you want a better aesthetic than IWI provides. Yes the ACE is a spicy meatball for your bank account (and perhaps even overpriced a bit), but well worth it if you want a high quality AK derivative that will be mechanically flawless while taking all the abuse you can throw at it. An ACE would be my vote to your initial question.

I'm a bit of a hike from NWI, but I'm happy to connect over PMs or offline if you'd like to try and meet up some time and go shooting. Depending on your short list, I might be able to accommodate and help you make that final decision.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    @Kirk Freeman I'm a bit of a hike from Lafayette, but I'm happy to connect over PMs or offline if you'd like to try and meet up some time and go shooting. Depending on your short list, I might be able to accommodate and help you make that final decision.
    What decision am I making now?

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks for the great advice everyone.
    Clarified up above I'm looking at 7.62 x 39

Not too picky on what suppressor. Something that will last forever.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    First of all, I'll second your nod on the Zastava. Love my ZPAPM70 and can't recommend it enough (and have tried doing so repeatedly across this great forum).

"High quality" feels a bit subjective, so perhaps a bit of context is needed? Are you looking for a 7.62x39 gun or another chambering? For suppression are you leaning toward a more AK-friendly, forgiving Wolverine or a tighter toleranced can?

I love factory Bulgarians, and the stamped SLR-107FR (not the newer SLR-107R) and the milled SAM7 are both terrific guns IMO. I'd say the SAM is going to have a bit higher and more consistent overall QC, but the FR is my favorite AK series. Barrel concentricity is not guaranteed but they are very solid guns overall.

The VEPR series is another well buttoned machine from Russia. The FM models need the least (i.e. "no") modification, and barrels are concentric from my experience. A VEPR FM with a tuned KNS piston, a suppressor, and Brown Bear subsonics is a pretty gnarly formula. One of the "Cadillacs" of factory import AKs if that is still a decent analogy.

Fully ready to be burned by my INGO AK comrades at the bayonet stake here, but Chinese AKs are just *meh* to me. I've owned AK variants - factory and kit builds - from nearly every nation that has manufactured them, and Chinese AKs are the only ones I have chosen to divest of. Nothing wrong with most of them at all ... I just think there is more folklore and legend (pardon the pun) surrounding them, and nothing I have read or experienced on my own makes them any better or worth crazy more money than others I believe to be superior variants. That's just me - take it with a grain of salt.

I'd rank Krebs Customs (Marc Krebs) and Rifle Dynamics (Jim Fuller) in the boutique "gucci gun" camp. Fine builds for the most part, but they are wildly overpriced (again, in my humble opinion) for what you're getting, and they still rely on a lot of the same combloc and US-made components that come in everything else we can get our hands on. If you want to take the kit build or customization route, I can steadfastly recommend some experienced builders who demand your wallet and your patience, but who do a phenomenal job well worth your time and money.

Finally, about that Galil. Ah yes, the mighty ACE. An Israeli evolution of the Finnish Valmet's evolution of the Russian AK-47. It's a not quite AK but with all the heart and guts and related soul of its Russian ancestor. And it's incredible, simply incredible. I am definitely biased and have a fair amount of money invested in the ACE, but it's an astonishingly good gun. The rifle handguards are trash, but there is plenty of aftermarket support if you want a better aesthetic than IWI provides. Yes the ACE is a spicy meatball for your bank account (and perhaps even overpriced a bit), but well worth it if you want a high quality AK derivative that will be mechanically flawless while taking all the abuse you can throw at it. An ACE would be my vote to your initial question.

@Kirk Freeman I'm a bit of a hike from Lafayette, but I'm happy to connect over PMs or offline if you'd like to try and meet up some time and go shooting. Depending on your short list, I might be able to accommodate and help you make that final decision.
    I can find just about nothing to disagree with in the above. Including the comments on Chicom AKs.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Thanks for the great advice everyone.
    Clarified up above I'm looking at 7.62 x 39

Not too picky on what suppressor. Something that will last forever.

The Wolverine PBS-1 is a favorite among AK folks for some obvious reasons, and Dead Air makes very nice stuff in general. The Wolfman is pretty flexible as well, depending on your setup(s). There are lots more options though and I'm not very versed with suppressors, so hopefully others chime in on that.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Also, OP I failed to mention him earlier, but in addition to Mishaco's encyclopedic knowledge of all things Kalashnikov, check out AK Operators Union On YouTube:

Rob Ski is one of the most renowned AK experts. Polish born and raised, now a sniper team leader in the U.S. Army. He's also super entertaining to watch.

I have noticed in several pictures I have seen of American troops carrying AK's, 47 or 74 I don't know which but I'm curious of the rational, can someone explain?

A new thread might warrant more answers. If you have some specific photos you can insert or link, we can dig into them there.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    There should be several discussions on this already if you use the search function. Short answer, poly tech, but not suppressor ready.
    I man of culture I see!

Current answer seems to be the Zastava Z Pap.

AKs are weird. Have to really know what you are buying with so many of them coming in through various means in various states.

If you want an Arsenal, the thumbhole "ban" ones are a good value.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Also, OP I failed to mention him earlier, but in addition to Mishaco's encyclopedic knowledge of all things Kalashnikov, check out AK Operators Union On YouTube:

Rob Ski is one of the most renowned AK experts. Polish born and raised, now a sniper team leader in the U.S. Army. He's also super entertaining to watch.

A new thread might warrant more answers. If you have some specific photos you can insert or link, we can dig into them there.
    Ok, will do.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I am very pleased with my ZA ZPAP. Picked it up for 9 bills. Not certain how high on the hog you want to eat but for a line AK, I am very happy with ZPAP.

The Galils you mention are fantastic, several small things that I am not happy with but truly quality pieces.

For AKs, I would start by watching Misha's vids (William Trotter he is gun shop owner in Arkansas but went by Mike [Misha] when he taught English in Russia).

I get the impression that William Trotter is blind. I'm not sure why but he just acts like it. Surely he isn't but I'm not really sure after watching this video.

Top Bottom