• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Okay. If it looks like this picture, then here is the shepherd's crook. Since you mentioned Red Star Arms, didn't know if you were installing the plate or had one already. We can help you with the install, no problem.

shepherds_crook.jpg

Last edited:

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wow. I didnt expect this much intrest but I'm really glad that so many people are willing to help. I have my kit but I'm waiting on my receiver. Is there someone thats organized one of these that can list all the things needed to get this party rolling? Or is there someone that can kind of sponser the event?

Thanks!

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    I would LOVE to build my own AK from a flat. I'll host the party at MCFG if you all wanna do it! I dont know squat about AKs but I want to learn!
    +1 on the build, I've been reading up on the build process, I have a HF hydraulic press, is a 12 ton I believe ? smallerfloor model I can lend to the process if needed. I'm still looking at parts kits.
    Can someone make a suggested parts buy list for a fixed stock 7.62 ? I'm seeing a lot of receiver and incomplete parts kits ( minus barrel )

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay. If it looks like this picture, then here is the shepherd's crook. Since you mentioned Red Star Arms, didn't know if you were installing the plate or had one already. We can help you with the install, no problem.

shepherds_crook.jpg
    That would be great! I like learning this stuff and appreciate any pointers! :ingo:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    The AR build party is later this month. I would recommend talking to VUPDblue about hosting an AK build party in late Feb. That would give everyone time to get a flat or five so they can have a receiver and others can get parts together that plan to build.

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    Looks like this BP is starting to taking shape. Do you know any supplier that has the flats with rails and center support in stock? Also could you demo the heat tretment process for us?

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I found a supplier that's supposed to have flats in stock. However, I'm wondering how realistic this is since we'll have to add rails as well.

As I understand it, the rails have to be welded in, yes?

Has anyone here done an AK build?

Anyway - I'm ordering parts, though I won't likely have the parts kit yet since they're backordered at the moment until March.

This is the link to flats: http://armsofamerica.com/ak47762flatwithrailstrunnionholes1995.aspx

Their website shows in stock and allows you to order, but they warn you that it may not be in stock if they are overwhelmed with orders at once. They'll notify you if it's backordered.

Even if it is in stock, it'll take 2 weeks to ship.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I'm interested as well, but totally clueless on what is needed, how it goes together and a cost estimate. As to not drag the thread down, if someone that knows the deal wants to PM some info I'd be grateful. Open response on the thread is okay too if you think it will benefit all.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I'm interested as well, but totally clueless on what is needed, how it goes together and a cost estimate. As to not drag the thread down, if someone that knows the deal wants to PM some info I'd be grateful. Open response on the thread is okay too if you think it will benefit all.

I've never done a build, but I've been researching it the past couple days.

I believe you need:

1) AK-47 Parts Kit (with trunnions or you'll have to buy those separately)
    2) Barrel
    3) Receiver (either buy one or build one with an AK flat)

You will need to make sure it's 922r compliant. If you use a US made receiver (or make one in the US) and US made barrel, as well as a US magazine and no flash hider you'd be 922r compliant.

There's a calculator here to make sure you're 922r compliant: Section 922r

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I've noticed a lot of the flats I'm seeing say they are not heat treated. How would you even go about doing that?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Also wondering if anyone could bring jigs for barrel pressing, trigger guard riveting etc

1. You can work the barrel with a puller made from all thread and a nut and a bushing you have to make. I have the parts and intend to get them machined before the party.

There is at least some chance I *may* be able to borrow a 110v mig welder, but I wouldn't put any heavy cash bets on it. No spot weld attachment but my experience is that a spot weld can be formed well enough for most purposes by drilling one piece and welding the hole. I assume drilling small holes in the rails should work if we have to improvise.

2. Any bendable flat will require heat treating. It can be done with a torch heat treating the wear points or taking the whole bent flat and having it treated whole in a proper heat treat oven. Trying to heat up the whole thing with a torch generally results in warping and bending.

Last edited:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    1. You can work the barrel with a puller made from all thread and a nut and a bushing you have to make. I have the parts and intend to get them machined before the party.

There is at least some chance I *may* be able to borrow a 110v mig welder, but I wouldn't put any heavy cash bets on it. No spot weld attachment but my experience is that a spot weld can be formed well enough for most purposes by drilling one piece and welding the hole. I assume drilling small holes in the rails should work if we have to improvise.

2. Any bendable flat will require heat treating. It can be done with a torch heat treating the wear points or taking the whole bent flat and having it treated whole in a proper heat treat oven. Trying to heat up the whole thing with a torch generally results in warping and bending.

Yeah - read that in a pinch the rails can just be install with machine screws. It just takes away from the factory-built AK look.

Shootin'IN said:
    Here is a place that has flats.
    AK Flats & Rails

Be careful - they only have AK74 in stock. Don't buy that if you want an AK47 build.

Also, I bought a basic cheapo flat bender on GunBroker. The feedback on it was good, so hopefully it does the job. This particular bender does not require a shop press. However, pressing in barrels might still require it.

Top Bottom