• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    since you all seem to know what you are talking about I have a question. I am looking at getting an AK. I am 75% russian so I would like to get the saiga. I have seen several versions, Romanian, yugoslavian, century arms. What is the main difference? I also saw an egyptian one. Are they all essentially the same just manufactured in different regions?

Take Century Arms off the list of countries. They are an Importer, one of many. They simply import rifle parts from the various countries and rebuild them according to 922r laws. The people they hire to do the work are not known for doing good work (loose rivets, mag wobble, canted sights, etc.) but they are usually the cheapest.

The different countries had their own versions of the AK-47 and Ak-74. The Egyptians are desired because the Maadi company took Russian tooling equipment to Egypt to build their rifles. So basically you have Russian rifles made by Arabs. The other countries were local machines.

You can often swap out parts from one country to another. I have seen Eastern European rifles with an Egyptian side crutch.

I would take a look at the various rifles out there (and pickings are slim right now) and read various reviews on them. Teach yourself the basics of the AK design before you buy so you can inspect the rifle.

If you get a Saiga AK, make sure it is converted. It's not hard to do yourself but if you are new to the AK platform, it will be a lot of extra work.

Good luck.

Btw, this is a Hungarian AMD-65 that needs riveting and the guts put in it.

amd65_magfit.jpg

Last edited:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Well seeing how the flats are back ordered, I have an offer. I will purchase a press and bring it if someone can spare a flat or two :)

tlfuller27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Nappanee,IN
    never built one

Ok I would be interested. I donot own an ak or even know anything bout first steps in building one but I would like to learn how to . So if I could join in on this it would be great. Let me know when and where.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm in.

I can fit my 12 ton press in my wife's van but I could only stay a few hours.

Does anyone have a spot welder with the attachment from AK Builder?

I don't think you really need that. The video I watched of building from a kit demonstrated how to space the rails with a drill bit (I don't remember the size off the top of my head, nor do I remember exactly how the rails were affixed). All you would have to do is drill some holes in the rails and spot them yourself.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I might be interested if the timing works out. I could possibly bring everything needed to do a build except for a flat bending jig since I don't build with those.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    For those interested and need flats.

Receiver Flats - AK-Builder.com

If you have a drill press or can drill at all, I would recommend the 'Standard AK47 Fixed Stock 7.62 Flat'. You can also get a 'AK47 7.62 Flat With Trunnion Holes' but I learned the hard way that not all trunnions are up to spec (aka they don't match the holes). If you can drill your own holes, you will get a better fit. If you get something else, make sure you understand what type of kit you will need for it.

He is currently out of stock of 1 mm center supports but bending can be done without it.

Barrel was pressed out of the AMD65 and now transferring hole location from front trunnion to receiver (the single hole on the top left of receiver. 5 more to go.

amd65_parts.jpg

Last edited:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    id be interested might get me to finish my two krinkovs or event start my yugo m64's or my crutch folder i could use a spot welder (i was just gonna mig them on)

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I got a maadi that needs fixed. Id show up...Nude...unless it's not that kind of party...then i'll just show up, but let me know now so i don't screw up the dress code. I can't rivet for **** so if someone would be willing to re rivet this rear trunion rivet i'd be thrilled.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I got a maadi that needs fixed. Id show up...Nude...unless it's not that kind of party...then i'll just show up, but let me know now so i don't screw up the dress code. I can't rivet for **** so if someone would be willing to re rivet this rear trunion rivet i'd be thrilled.

Absolutely not! Just think of the innocent and virtuous weapons you would scandalize! :D

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Did you get something that looks like this with your group?

Red Star Arms FCG Pin Retaining Plate
    rsa_plate_new.jpg

or do you only have this?

Shepherd's Crook
    TSC.jpg

Top Bottom