• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Just like tinkering, so I did the BHO mod on my WASR. Now the RO's will be happy when time for cease fire!!!! I like tinkering so probably mod some mags next for BHO. So what do you guys do if you shoot your AK's at the range? Spent case or....? Yah, now I got a hole in my dust cover but AK's never jam anyway right? :rolleyes:

:ar15:

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Looks good!

I have that mod on one my AKs, and it super handy at ranges that require the bolt to be back at cease fire.

I love the concept of the ability, but other than at those ranges, I can't recall ever using it.

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    Nice piece of work.
    My N-PAP of course came with it. At the time I really didn't care if it was there or not. But I sure find myself using it a lot, especially during cleaning. I just put a guide on the muzzle and go to town without romoving cover and carrier. Wish the Serbs put them more forward like you did, so they'll be in sync with their own hold open mags :/

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    This. Though I've heard several times if you do this mod, it puts undesigned for strain on the steel and results in a snapped selector lever.

Well that's why I asked the question about ranges that want the action open and what do you guys do? Of course I have already modded mine but still wonder. I'm not worried at all about stress on the lever. I feel completely safe with the tension of the bolt resting on the lever. Its not slamming into it, seems plenty strong to me. If not, a new lever is cheap enough.

Now I've been looking into the BHO magazine mod and it seems that would definitely put big time stress into the follower with the bolt slamming into it.

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    Now I've been looking into the BHO magazine mod and it seems that would definitely put big time stress into the follower with the bolt slamming into it.
    I know that's what you'd think, but I done this mod on several including TAPCO's with plastic followers and no rounded followers yet with dozens of lock ups. As long as you got a double stack bolt with a nice wide and deep face it mates way down on the follower nub. A besides, locking only half back it's not hitting with the force as full forward with the lack of momentum.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    I know that's what you'd think, but I done this mod on several including TAPCO's with plastic followers and no rounded followers yet with dozens of lock ups. As long as you got a double stack bolt with a nice wide and deep face it mates way down on the follower nub. A besides, locking only half back it's not hitting with the force as full forward with the lack of momentum.

Sweet! I may mod a couple of mags then and give it a whirl. I'd really like that feature. Interesting on the Tapco mod with the plastic follower. I have 1 polymer mag but its a PMAG, don't know if I'll touch it but may tinker with some steel mags....good info, thanx.

nater30/30

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Grant County
    Sweet! I may mod a couple of mags then and give it a whirl. I'd really like that feature. Interesting on the Tapco mod with the plastic follower. I have 1 polymer mag but its a PMAG, don't know if I'll touch it but may tinker with some steel mags....good info, thanx.
    I couldn't tell ya one a Pmag, never owned one. The TAPCO's work killer cause the rear of the nub's nice big and square and extends all the way to the rear of the follower, lots of bearing surface. And on mine, even after many, many, many lock-ups, they're not even scratched. But my first convert, a steel Romanian, that I hastily squared the rear of it's tiny little hollow nub, free hand with a die grinder, is still going strong after hundreds of lock-ups, though it's not pretty lol. Since it's hollow the first couple of hits of the bolt face hammered its own nice little seat, but it hasn't budged since. It's pretty neat...it's like it was always there, but it took the Serbs to discover it lol. It would be real cool if you just happened to have cut your notch forward enough to synch with it, that's where it's at. I'm gonna get a surplus safety and try it out. Heck if it's too weak out there and snaps off, it's not like ya can't shoot the thing till ya pick up another one. Have to rely on your secondary safeties, brain and trigger finger lol.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Forgot to update this just fyi..... I got hold of a Yugo BHO magazine and here is how it compares with my modded safety......no sync. I don't think I'd want to notch the safety that far forward to sync up with the BHO Yugo mag. But regardless, for me, I'm very happy with the results. I've picked up another stock safety and will keep it for originality but I don't forsee any issues. I can still reach up, pull back, flip up, change mag, flip down, and BANG!!! LOL, easy huh?

Top Bottom