• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtball

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    I would like to cut roughly 2 inches of my AK barrel then pin/weld my brake making a 16" rifle. Is there any variance in length/twist in 7.62-39? I'm not even sure what the current twist is, I had it built a while back. It's a milled UF Bulgarian kit, with a dark bore. But any who...if I take that said 2 inches off the barrel, tumbling issues?

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I have a Romanian that I cut to 12" and permanently installed an extended length Bulgy Beer Can (CNC Warrior) on. I have seen no adverse effects as far as POI shift, loss of accuracy, or key-holing. My barrel tiwst rate is 1:10, btw. Either way, my rifle is reliably accurate enough to trust, using Wolf 123gr FMJ. YMMV

7D656357-5E57-492F-8D71-0FE03D0B9B45_zps7ruut35c.jpg

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    N_K_1984 - that's a nice looking weapon there.

Dirtball - They make pistols out of them...I'm sure it will be fine. And it's not like the AK was meant to be more than reasonably battlefield accurate when employed by Russian peasants to begin with. And just curious, why pin/weld and not thread the barrel?

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I'm assuming the OP plans to cut the barrel, crown, and thread it. And then he'll pin and weld the FH to achieve the legal OAL.

Thor's logic is sound, Dirtball (Def the first time I've ever typed that sentence, ever.). I don't think you'll have any issues as long as your crown and your FH threads are cut properly AND all is aligned properly once reassembled.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    That's a great AK you have there N_K. Did you do the threading and crowning yourself?

I want an ak but by the time I set it up about like yours I'd have more money in it than I would an AR! It would be nice to enjoy the ammo price break but I can't afford the rifle at the moment... One day soon though!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    That's a great AK you have there N_K. Did you do the threading and crowning yourself?

I want an ak but by the time I set it up about like yours I'd have more money in it than I would an AR! It would be nice to enjoy the ammo price break but I can't afford the rifle at the moment... One day soon though!

I know there is a reputation that AK's are kind of a caveman's rifle. We've all seen the pictures of the kyhber pass stuff with receivers made from road signs, rifles fielded by children in 3rd world countries that look like they've been to hell and back, and not to mention some of the crap assembled here in the US from demilled parts kits. But don't fool yourself for a minute, a quality AK is every bit as capable and deadly as an AR. And if you ever get the chance to build one, you'll see there is a lot more skilled work and labor in building one versuses bolting an AR together. I've got several that cost much more than a run of the mill AR, but they are much nicer rifles IMO.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know there is a reputation that AK's are kind of a caveman's rifle. We've all seen the pictures of the kyhber pass stuff with receivers made from road signs, rifles fielded by children in 3rd world countries that look like they've been to hell and back, and not to mention some of the crap assembled here in the US from demilled parts kits. But don't fool yourself for a minute, a quality AK is every bit as capable and deadly as an AR. And if you ever get the chance to build one, you'll see there is a lot more skilled work and labor in building one versuses bolting an AR together. I've got several that cost much more than a run of the mill AR, but they are much nicer rifles IMO.

Oh I agree, it's just hard for me to buy a nice ak when I can buy a Daniel Defense AR for the same price... I would however love to build an AK! If the RifleDynamics class wasn't $2k I'd take it. Sadly I don't have any idea how to put together an ak for the reason you are stating

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Jeez, I didn't realize those classes were that much :spend: I would watch around for a build party. There was one a few years ago @ Marion County Fish and Game through INGO, and there looks to be another coming up (although I think it's already full) in a members garage. It's a really neat process, especially bending the receiver and heat treating it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Jeez, I didn't realize those classes were that much :spend: I would watch around for a build party. There was one a few years ago @ Marion County Fish and Game through INGO, and there looks to be another coming up (although I think it's already full) in a members garage. It's a really neat process, especially bending the receiver and heat treating it.

Where could I buy all of the needed parts? And how much $$ are we talking? I am interested in going to an AK build party for sure!

And yeah it's super expensive, but you're getting a better than $1k rifle out of it but still it is some mula that is for sure. I mean if I had it I could maybe see spending it if there was a class close but that some $$!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    AK Builder is a good place to start for the flat, rivets, etc... Finding a decent kit with an original barrel is the real tricky part nowadays. AK Files is a great place to look though as well as Gunbroker.

Top Bottom