• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    Yes, the rifle is only a month old. But from what I’ve read online, it’s actually quite common for these reg’s to creep, and they often settle in over time. I dry-fired the rifle once three days ago, and it returned to exactly 1800 psi. It’s only crept a bit under 150 psi since then. Honestly, I’m not at all concerned about it unless it worsens rather than settling in. I’ve got 11 months of warranty left to see how that goes, but it’s far too minor an issue to send a rifle in for service over (and if I request an exchange, it’s likely it could be even worse).
    Keep us posted. The avenger is supposed to be a lot of gun for the money

tbhausen

Master
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Another quick update: the regulator in my rifle has only crept to 2000 psi and seems to have stopped so yes, it is settling in. After several days, it crept to 2150 psi last time. A few more cycles and it will probably be stable at 1800 psi. Now, if the wind would ever stop blowing and it would warm up…

tbhausen

Master
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Here’s the scope I chose. I’m a little bit on the fence about it. I’m seeing a fair amount of chromatic aberration in bright light at 24X. I didn’t expect that. The reticle and illumination are awesome, though:

I forgot to mention, after much debate (especially since I got a good deal on it) I decided to return this scope and, once my refund and store credit came back through, order this one, instead… This scope is well known around these parts but I figure it’s worth our time to share my observations now that I’ve had a chance to look through it and compare it to the Hawke:

I’ll sum it up in two words: no contest! The Vortex glass is way, way better. It has much less chromatic aberration at 24x than the Hawke had even down at 16x. It’s my first FFP scope, and I love having a true MOA reticle at all zoom settings. The eyebox is more forgiving. It does lack illumination; no big deal—I’m never going to use it for hunting.

For two scopes that are essentially direct competitors in spec’s and price, the difference in optical performance is stark. Some of the higher-end Hawke scopes might be better, but this tier (“System H2”) just doesn’t cut it for me. I think Vortex has it exactly right in their description when they say they’re not trading features (like an illuminated reticle?) for optical performance. Then again, the Vortex is FFP and the Hawke is SFP. Again, no contest.

Last edited:

tbhausen

Master
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    C91E61B2-8574-4D9A-B354-1F27C7D20198.jpeg Got the scope mounted on a 30 MOA cant using the XTR Signature Rings (I lowered the front 20 and raised the rear 10 MOA). With 65 MOA of elevation adjustment available and a likely bit of barrel droop, this should put me near the top of the adjustment range. The objective bell clears the barrel shroud by about 2mm, and an inserted magazine just barely clears the scope saddle. I set the eye relief optimally for benchrest (didn’t worry about prone). I don’t think I can do any better than this.

tbhausen

Master
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    288B2C62-5950-4DEB-B057-BE62A66BF159.png Here’s about how the reticle should work out sighted in at 50 and holding over for 100 yards (pending the results of tuning). At 24x, the field of view is just over 50 MOA.

A 55 MOA come up should be good for about 200 yards. That’s achievable if I get near the top of the elevation adjustment range.

Last edited:

tbhausen

Master
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I like this guy’s reviews. His review is the primary reason I bought view AVA after I couldn’t get a Gauntlet 2. It’s really cool that they turned the same action into a bullpup, but when you read the comments, he didn’t seem too impressed at 50 yards.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I like this guy’s reviews. His review is the primary reason I bought view AVA after I couldn’t get a Gauntlet 2. It’s really cool that they turned the same action into a bullpup, but when you read the comments, he didn’t seem too impressed at 50 yards.

I thought it was humorous how he said that the gun was so light it felt like a toy.

It does hit home though. My Mrod weighs 9-10 pounds. Not much for dragging around the woods.

tbhausen

Master
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Scope looks good. Does it have an adjustable objective? Did your regulator settle down yet?
    It’s only creeping from 1800 to a tiny bit above 1900 psi now, so yes, it seems to be settling nicely.

I’ll soon be ordering this FX chronograph, as I’ll be tuning as soon as I put 50 shots or so through to season the barrel. Too bad it’s only good too about 1200 fps—$200 for a Doppler chronograph this easy to set up and use is a hell of a sweet deal. They’re supposed to be working on one for powder burners. If they pull it off, it’ll be a real game changer:

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    It’s only creeping from 1800 to a tiny bit above 1900 psi now, so yes, it seems to be settling nicely.

I’ll soon be ordering this FX chronograph, as I’ll be tuning as soon as I put 50 shots or so through to season the barrel. Too bad it’s only good too about 1200 fps—$200 for a Doppler chronograph this easy to set up and use is a hell of a sweet deal. They’re supposed to be working on one for powder burners. If they pull it off, it’ll be a real game changer:

I just bought an FX chrony after using a Alpha chrony for years. I will not go back! Set up time is less than a minute, which includes turning on my I-phone app.

1200 fps is faster than most air gunners need. Pellets are unstable at supersonic speeds. Unless you are going to shoot slugs, the FX chrony is the way to go!

tbhausen

Master
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I’m not even sure my AVA can push a slug to 1200 fps… but we will find out soon enough. That’s nearly .22LR energy territory right there… it’s probably only a matter of time before nanny-state regulators step in and spoil the fun, like they already have in the UK.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom