• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Thinking about getting an air soft replica type of pistol for a different kind of practice in the garage next to dry fire.

Have you done this and has it been valuable to you, or was it kind of “meh”.?

New to air soft and I see you shouldn’t reuse the plastic bb’s. Has anyone built a trap house to where the bb’s keep in good condition to reuse?

How did you set up a target station for your indoor practice?

Green gas seems cheap, will the gun last?

Interested in this one: any feedback would help:

Basher

Expert
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    If it’s a quality GBB, it should last quite awhile.

BBs can be reused, but you run the risk of one coming apart in the gun if it’s cracked, and then you have to deal with the necessary repairs. If you shoot into a box filled with foam or a bunch of newspaper, they’ll likely be just fine though.

Green gas is pretty inexpensive, but you can use gas from Duster (keyboard cleaner sprays) as well. Takes a little work to get the process figured out, but it’s a lower pressure gas than green gas and may make the gun last longer, if that’s a concern for you.

How useful airsoft is for practice is debatable, as the trigger pull and recoil are often quite different, but if it keeps practice interesting for you so that you do it regularly, that’s a plus! You also do get feedback on sight alignment and several other things, so it’s not entirely useless.

I used to play airsoft regularly before I was old enough to play with the real things, and it’s a lot of fun!

rugertoter

Master
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I went that rout first, but then decided there was no real replacement for shooting for real. I took it one step further...I bought a few decent pellet pistols, two CO2's, one NP, and one pumper. I found that I got more realistic results with sight alignment and trigger squeeze, than I did with "fast draw" kind of shooting. YMMV

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I went that rout first, but then decided there was no real replacement for shooting for real. I took it one step further...I bought a few decent pellet pistols, two CO2's, one NP, and one pumper. I found that I got more realistic results with sight alignment and trigger squeeze, than I did with "fast draw" kind of shooting. YMMV
    If I understand you correctly, the pellet pistol is shooting 177 bb’s powered by co2. What is the cost in your co2 cartridges refills vs cans of green gas? I like this idea.

Found that Air venturi has a hellcat pro coming soon.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    Airsoft practice for action shooting games is popular in Asia/CA asian community, but if you just want "first shot from draw" practice, and require actual hole-in-paper shot confirmation, a decent .177 replica would probably work better.

That's the "thread compliant" answer. The non-compliant but better answer, is just to dry fire your actual gun and learn to use your sights to call the shot. Then you're developing gun-specific muscle memory. It only takes an occasional live-fire session with the same gun to ensure you're not bullsh!tting yourself on your sight calls.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    That's the "thread compliant" answer. The non-compliant but better answer, is just to dry fire your actual gun and learn to use your sights to call the shot. Then you're developing gun-specific muscle memory. It only takes an occasional live-fire session with the same gun to ensure you're not bullsh!tting yourself on your sight calls.
    I practice dry fire often but thought of adding something different. Maybe im just bored with it and wanting to shoot a little indoors. The other part to it would be allowing my 7yo to start handling a pistol and learning open sights.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    I practice dry fire often but thought of adding something different. Maybe im just bored with it and wanting to shoot a little indoors. The other part to it would be allowing my 7yo to start handling a pistol and learning open sights.
    I can't remember if my son was elementary or middle school when I got him the airsoft and indoor setup...but my wife is still pissed about it. We found airsoft BBs in our entertainment center when rerouting some electronics cables last week...and he's in college now :cool:

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    Green gas seems cheap, will the gun last?

Fun fact, green gas is basically just propane with some lubricant. Back in my (hardcore?) Airsoft days, people would just bring propane tanks to fill their green gas mags with.

Look into evike. They are the largest distributor for the US. Typically they have the best deals when it comes to Airsoft gear.

I personally would not reuse bbs. Buy the biodegradable ones and just shoot them and don’t pick up.

I personally would not shoot indoors for various reasons (damage to items from ricochets, you can try catching them but the just go everywhere, kids), but if this is your only way since you live in a condo etc then you do you.

Last edited:

rugertoter

Master
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    If I understand you correctly, the pellet pistol is shooting 177 bb’s powered by co2. What is the cost in your co2 cartridges refills vs cans of green gas? I like this idea.

Found that Air venturi has a hellcat pro coming soon.
    The ones I have shoot pellets, and use a 12 gram gas cartridge. I pick them up as Walmart for cheap...don't really remember the exact price. With a .177, I get about 65 decent shots per cylinder, and with the .22 calibers, I get about 50 decent power shots per.

Chance

Expert
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Yes, I do this frequently while practicing weak hand and point shooting indoors. Although there is no recoil, it has helped me experiment with and improve my grip and draw stroke from the holster.

Top Bottom