• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wow, those things are AMAZING! Were they using the lake for exercises or just buzzing it?
    Not really sure, but they seem to keep returning?

Monday, they flew over fairly low. It appeared as though they were observing the roadway. Of course I waved :wavey:!

Wednesday was very windy. Whitecaps on the lake. We could hear the chopper coming before we could pick it out because they were so low.

20210502_221807.jpg

They banked pretty good a couple times still pretty close to the water.

20210502_221558.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you expand a couple the pics out as far as they will go, it really looks as if there is a guy sitting on the big back door hanging his legs off?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you expand a couple the pics out as far as they will go, it really looks as if there is a guy sitting on the big back door hanging his legs off?
    Not surprised. Thats one of the best seats in the house.

When I would skydive, as the camera guy (last in, first out) I would regularly take the same relative position... In the open door, belted in, with nothing between me and the ground but an open door. Man, those were the days.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't know what's up, but this guy has been flying circles, near and far around my house all day. Osprey, right?

Cannot help but hear the rumble of this this thing coming and going.

Sorry for the bad pics, 20210822_193543.jpg 20210822_193354.jpg 20210822_193431.jpg , I missed the only pass where they came in low enough for a good one.

I still wonder why we are seeing so much more military helicopter activity than ever before?

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    There was a thread in Break Room about training at NSWC. It said something about increased air traffic and ending this weekend. We have seen the Osprey flying over Lawrence Co. for the past several days.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    They're coming for you man :nailbite::runaway::tinfoil:
    They're still flying circles over me. I have forced myself to not run outside to get a better pic though. Just blurry lights come through in the pics at night.

You laugh about the :tinfoil:, but the fact of the matter is that the rumble of motors coming and going do get my attention every time.

They are bound to eventually run out of fuel, right? :runaway:

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    They're still flying circles over me. I have forced myself to not run outside to get a better pic though. Just blurry lights come through at night.

You laugh about the :tinfoil:, but the fact of the matter is that the rumble of motors coming and going do get my attention every time.
    Beware the black copters…

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Don't know what's up, but this guy has been flying circles, near and far around my house all day. Osprey, right?

Cannot help but hear the rumble of this this thing coming and going.

Sorry for the bad pics, View attachment 154580 View attachment 154581 View attachment 154582 , I missed the only pass where they came in low enough for a good one.

I still wonder why we are seeing so much more military helicopter activity than ever before?
    Ospreys are some crazy lookin aircraft. Those props are HUGE! USAF Special Ops (AFSOC) has them, but that was after I retired in 07. These things were in development forever. I was a young troop in the late-80s when I heard some horror stories about these things.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ospreys are some crazy lookin aircraft. Those props are HUGE! USAF Special Ops (AFSOC) has them, but that was after I retired in 07. These things were in development forever. I was a young troop in the late-80s when I heard some horror stories about these things.
    I vaguely remember the controversy surrounding the development and cost of these things. I forget what insane amount of money each one cost or what they might cost today?

IIRC the maintenance costs on these chopper/planes is astronomical also?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I vaguely remember the controversy surrounding the development and cost of these things. I forget what insane amount of money each one cost or what they might cost today?

IIRC the maintenance costs on these chopper/planes is astronomical also?
    A crash killed 20 Marines back in the day. As far as maintenance cost, I can't imagine what it costs to keep these in the air.

Top Bottom