• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Picked myself up a Big Red Air Machine. Late 80's Snap-on compressor. It's got a 5 hp 230v motor with a 110 psi switch hookup. I'm trying to find out what relay setup I need to make it work. Currently the box just has the 12 gauge wires from motor and 14 from switch. Somethings missing in the box.

Thank you

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    dvGtO0H.jpg

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    do you have 3 phase power? if this is at home,i would presume you dont.

there are converters, but most of the time it is easier and cheaper to jsut buy a single phase motor to run it off of.

or if you need somethign more powerful, run a 2 phase 220 line to the compressor.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    You need a new motor my friend. Take a look at the HP rating on the motor's data plate. Find a suitable replacement, I'd recommend surpluscenter.com to start. You'll still need a starter, thermal overload and probably upper and lower limit switches.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Most likely something like this only T1 and T2 will go to your motor wires. How many amps does the motor plate say?

d99caee297ed8b975177d3f83eff8b23.jpg

The above advice was assuming the motor was indeed swapped from 3 phase to single.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's difficult to tell for sure but I would think you'd need at least a 35A contactor with 230V coil. I'm assuming the motor has integral overload protection?

Have you tried googling the model number of that compressor unit? They may list replacement parts.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I don't understand why I need a new motor... It's a single phase unit.. My barn is wired 220, the previous owner ran a Lincoln welder and air compressor that was also a 220 all day no issues

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Didn't realize that. The plate from the starter shows 3phase. I defiently have an Allen Bradley starter and Thermal Overload for you at my place.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Didn't realize that. The plate from the starter shows 3phase. I defiently have an Allen Bradley starter and Thermal Overload for you at my place.

Looks like there are only 2 hot motor wires and not used to seeing capacitors on 3 phase motors.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Your empty starter housing says 3 phase, and your motor is clearly single phase so you need to buy a new magnetic starter assembly. I just recently went through the same issue when the starter on my old 5hp compressor gave up. Going to the Snap On is going to be a lot more expensive than sourcing one yourself. I bought mine off of ebay. On ebay they had some that were very cheap and made in china. I went with a GE unit that was made here. IIRC it was about 130 bucks. The wiring diagram that came with it was very poor, I ended up on Garage Journal to find a wiring diagram that worked. I was told that Simmons and other companies have better diagrams, and if doing it over again I would go with something other than GE. You have to get a starter that matches your motors FLA rating

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Your empty starter housing says 3 phase, and your motor is clearly single phase so you need to buy a new magnetic starter assembly.

snip

You have to get a starter that matches your motors FLA rating

Why? Just use 2 poles of the three-pole starter he has. It's rated at 5.5 kW which is fine for a 5 HP motor at 230 V. Either run a 120 volt circuit for the control circuit through the pressure switch or use a control power transformer. As long as the overloads in the starter match the motor FLA, he should be GTG.

Hornady's wiring diagram above is exactly correct.

Top Bottom