• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    My son is 20 and is moving out of our house and into his own place. He has several guns, a 22 rifle, a couple shotguns, a muzzleloader and a pistol. All of these guns were purchased by me from various gun stores. Is he legally allowed to own them? Should I do some paperwork to transfer them to him? Am I legally responsible for these guns since the paperwork will show them purchased by me? Thanks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    There is no gun registry in IN. You're free to give those guns to whoever you want. The one legally responsible for the firearms is the one who owns/possesses them at the time of something happening.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    If he is 18 or over and not otherwise legally prohibited (serious violent felon, domestic battery, etc) then he can own and possess firearms.

If you are both Indiana residents then you may "gift" the firearms to him without paperwork.

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    Great. I was just wondering about the pistol. He doesn't have his permit at this time, and I am still a little confused because Ive been told you cant buy a handgun until you are 21. Is this correct that you can own one and carry it with a permit but not buy it?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Other things to note:

He can apply for an LTCH (License To Carry Handgun) at 18.
    He cannot purchase another handgun from an FFL until he is 21.
    He can purchase another handgun from a private party is he is over 18 (and not otherwise a prohibited person).

(I know you said he was 20, just referring to the age limits in the Indiana Code)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...and I am still a little confused because Ive been told you cant buy a handgun until you are 21...

This is a common misconception. The restriction is actually upon the seller in this case rather than the buyer.

Federal Firearms Licensees are prohibited from selling or transferring a handgun (or ammo for a handgun, whatever that means) to anyone under 21. That restriction does not apply to non-FFL sales, gifts, etc.

As noted, the age to purchase handguns is 18, but the above restriction limits their buying options to other residents within their state. Very few states have raised that age from 18.

Top Bottom