• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I am out of room in my garage, so I'm thinking about buying a storage to get the mowers, lawn tools, ladders, etc. out of the way. Does anyone have recommendations on what I should be looking for or what I should avoid when shopping for one of these barns? If there's a particular brand I should consider or a certain dealer I should visit, I'd love to hear that as well. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    You may want to check with Miller Barns. They custom build mini barns and usually have a few in stock. I'm not sure how far they deliver but they're located in Washington County I think. They are nicer than the ones at the big box stores.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I once had this discussion with co-workers many years ago and advice I should have taken was what ever size you decide on double it. You have out grown your garage right? It is a fun do it yourself project.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I once had this discussion with co-workers many years ago and advice I should have taken was what ever size you decide on double it. You have out grown your garage right? It is a fun do it yourself project.

I was going to apply gun safe logic to the storage barn problem and double what I think I needed. I'm sure it would fill up fast. As for my carpentry skills, let's just say I have room for improvement in that area. You should see me write a check though. I am amazing at that.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Metal sides means no future painting. White metal roof helps keep it cooler in summer.

Storage barns also activate the secret switch in your wife's brain to buy 87 more lawn decorations. These will fill up your barn every Fall.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    1. If your were to build it yourself, 2x6 everything.
    2. extend roof over the door area by about 4ft( keeps rain off door & saves floor from rotting.) (plus gives extra storage space)
    3. Roll up door, I love it.
    4. elevate entire shed and have a gravel base under it
    5. Build a ramp
    6. waterproof it all with oil based sealant( not thompsons)
    7. build a u shaped loft space
    8. Power is always a good option
    9. interior lighting, because trying to use a light or headlamp to look for stuff sucks!!!
    10. I second the build/buy bigger than you think you need( although expanding length is fairly easy)

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Not sure about Monroe County but here in Grant you can only go so big before you have to put pilings in, or some such. They hit you with a permit as well I think for any size shed.

I refuse to build a little shed for yard junk and have to go thru all that, so I am planning on at least a detached 3 car garage. Would rather do a pole barn, but not sure how much that will save money wise.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    1. If your were to build it yourself, 2x6 everything.
    2. extend roof over the door area by about 4ft( keeps rain off door & saves floor from rotting.) (plus gives extra storage space)
    3. Roll up door, I love it.
    4. elevate entire shed and have a gravel base under it
    5. Build a ramp
    6. waterproof it all with oil based sealant( not thompsons)
    7. build a u shaped loft space
    8. Power is always a good option
    9. interior lighting, because trying to use a light or headlamp to look for stuff sucks!!!
    10. I second the build/buy bigger than you think you need( although expanding length is fairly easy)
    Great list.
    The only thing I'd add to this is exterior, motion detection lighting for security and when ya have to go out there after dark.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Are you talking shed or barn, what kind of dimensions do you have in mind? The way I look at it shed for garden tractor and yard stuff, barn for boat and equipment. Storage only or work space? Heated? Sealed against animals? Plastic, metal, wood?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    When we moved from Hellinois I lost my workshop and ended up with an Amish built 12' X 16' "Lofted Garden Shed." It came with a double door front and two windows along with the upper storage area. Very nice with vinyl siding and metal roof with a color scheme that matches our house.
    Put in power, insulated the walls, enclosed the area under the floor and put in plywood walls. Kerosene heater keeps me warm when I am out there so am happy with all. Jim.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I am out of room in my garage, so I'm thinking about buying a storage to get the mowers, lawn tools, ladders, etc. out of the way. Does anyone have recommendations on what I should be looking for or what I should avoid when shopping for one of these barns? If there's a particular brand I should consider or a certain dealer I should visit, I'd love to hear that as well. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

We bought a shed (carriage house style) from Recreation Unlimited a few years ago. It is perfect for our needs.

LOTS of options available. I finished the inside by adding shelving/storage, etc. Also added a ramp. It was built off-site and delivered complete and set in place on concrete pavers.

Amish Built Sheds - Recreation Unlimited

x0KgyM1_jv7w_sCJcOByEy22aENRmnOscDJLRb021bX8dhqIH9VN4NpgCxYzU1Eul0Qiz-oh-593d51evEDZlF0crFsoMzU9_NvkuBeGr6yDlD1zAywOzNwvCGURvQXE03juBy3OPV1EbmFRSN1aqvDOqkWP3Z1_xLFGhc_aiR0SYbn4EVsF6MymO_VB0Kcv_LmCbYUSv3GKFiuozQZDCi8M2L1dro7iAtt96_XkBYmhjxktujnq1eafDrfMCPzwQLxrsyuCYns2jpxRAeQEB7fE6t3MNuzQ8kCKRQVBcQojb_UtmisNht2kbmxsrj3XeZyJTpA9PBTDQpwHrlYYmWsHY4HETxs6GgrOvTqb6Ico2JzVQSRp85mVE7J9opqq7znHd2NRybzYLuI1xFHXXgkrC8Yx2TnrDEBH1HgPOd9z3lvUdVBxhww4hxfT4F_kUBGHZHsc65NEGgdGyxV-Qdm2fMGCNckqEldIvDMbJC7MydGTYyqnl4ShxnWWl3vFF197dS4JxJ7iLTCIkJe_888lMCG7zZQmsLVl4s_OwVkPQ1sniZi0SFzKCZBqBV-kULGxPgON3GtBA5MBFhxV0gzKUT7lISek6uVwdKoFjHqi-G429qAm8qXwFehKgUoVLQOqy6vTYZjg6piFx7om-k33O1cjRmZy3f2Vjik_M5mrmJ-gbziIYSbKGHvgTNX6idW0pFa8UVq6fPBKFphl5bLR=w1174-h880-no

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    You may check with Monroe Co. to see if there are any restrictions. The City of Martinsville (Morgan Co.) has stated that anything over 200sf will require a building permit, which I have issue with seeing that it is not real property. If it is a temporary structure which is not attached to real property.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Are you talking shed or barn, what kind of dimensions do you have in mind? The way I look at it shed for garden tractor and yard stuff, barn for boat and equipment. Storage only or work space? Heated? Sealed against animals? Plastic, metal, wood?
    This project is in the infancy stages, so I haven't worked out the details yet. I wanted to hear from some of the folks that have been down this road before me so I could maybe get an idea of what direction to go.

Thanks for the input so far everyone. It's exactly what I was hoping for.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We looked at several options and ended up stick building our shed. That was in the early 90's and it still stands strong. Used pressure treated materials. Screwed everything together. Over built the floor and set it on a gravel base on 4X4 runners. 3' deep shelves on the back wall increased storage and gave a place for the insanity that goes on between a womans ears when they see more space to fill with dumb ****.....:):
    It is T-11 siding and has been re-painted twice in the time it has served.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    You may want to check with Miller Barns. They custom build mini barns and usually have a few in stock. I'm not sure how far they deliver but they're located in Washington County I think. They are nicer than the ones at the big box stores.

Good choice. They deliver anywhere as long as you pay the mileage.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    THIS!!!!!!!!! My dad built one, a few yrs later I built mine a little larger. I wish I had doubled the size of his. If you have the land for it... you will ALWAYS fill it.. and still wish you had more.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    This is my current shed. Dad built it when he built our house and it's full. I'd love to have another one too. I thought I had a better pic, but can't find one. It has double doors on the left end.

oKcucRE.jpg

Top Bottom