• ...and so much more!
  • thefinnnwi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Northwest Indiana/ Japan
    Just a bit of background to begin with.

I live half way around the world currently, going to be for the next 3 years. My brother lives about 12 hours from Indiana, and my older brother is near by. My parents both live in a pretty good area, about 1hr from Chicago.

In a survival/disaster scenario, i'd like to think they would be fine for 2 or 3 weeks. They have enough food for that period of time, 5 gallon bottles of water, and a natural gas powered generator. However they have medical issues which limit physical activity.

The likely hood of a Red Dawn/ SHTF or total collapse is highly unlikely, but being half way around the world, being in the Navy, and doing disaster relief in Japan, the Philippines, and Indonesia, I've seen the best and worst of humanity.

The earthquakes that occurred last year showed the strength of the Japanese, however I saw the store shelves and food disappear, yet there was no looting and people were still civil (waiting in lines at stores without freaking out). I know in the states things would be a lot different (ie Katrina). People can't even get in line nicely for new Nike shoes (google news that)

Has anyone here got their parents on board for prepping? What can I do? It makes me worried sick knowing if anything were to happen, I can't be there to defend them or help. What are some good basic preps to get them started?

Any advice would be appreciated. Any personal stories on how you got your family/friends involved with prepping would be nice as well. Thanks.

(Also, gun advice won't be necessary. I'm a recreational shooter, have the collection at home, and the basics covered)

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    A lot of it will depend on how much they are willing to do. Some people are content going about day to day and not thinking one bit about the future and some of those people just don't consider the option that something could happen.

Sounds like they at least have a start though by having enough supplies to get them through a couple weeks. That is more than some have. I would focus more about prepping for a natural disaster and being able to get through that. I would communicate some of what you have seen in your time overseas and stress the importance of being ready for the unknown.

I do not know them so whatever you think is the best approach to reach them, go for it. Not everyone is willing to accept the fact that they may someday have to protect themselves by use of force. If they understand that and are willing to do so, then that is great and another topic to cover.

Without knowing them though, my main focus would be getting enough supplies to get them through any kind of long term power outages, no water, off the grid type scenario. Just my :twocents:

Walkersdlx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Evansville
    Maybe some Fish meds? Do they have anything like a Shotgun? Two battle bandages for some heavy firstaid? Gas Mask for the shtf? Tarp for anything a tarp could be use for? Maybe a 36mile walkie talkie for you and your folks and one for your bro. My family members have one so we can all check on each other with out traveling.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    you could always start super simple like a garden canning/preservation of foods is the easiest and simplest ways to start.

Top Bottom