• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Hi guys. I've been reading threads about getting pulled over by police while carrying. Had a question but didn't want to hijack the thread.

I'm 25 and recently moved from my parents house to an apartment. I recently renewed my Driver's License and put my new address - the apartment - on my DL.

However my LTCH still states my parent's address. Question: What trouble could I be in if I ever was asked to present my Driver's License and Handgun Permit, and the addresses didn't match?

Truth be told, I never really wanted to put my new address on my DL in the first place, because I view this apartment as only a temporary residence - 1-2 years tops - and then I will be ready to buy a house. I wanted as little mail going to my apartment as possible, so there are less things to redirect until I have a permanent residence - my own house. I live 15 minutes away from my parents so it doesn't bother me to make a weekly visit and pick up my mail.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Hi guys. I've been reading threads about getting pulled over by police while carrying. Had a question but didn't want to hijack the thread.

I'm 25 and recently moved from my parents house to an apartment. I recently renewed my Driver's License and put my new address - the apartment - on my DL.

However my LTCH still states my parent's address. Question: What trouble could I be in if I ever was asked to present my Driver's License and Handgun Permit, and the addresses didn't match?

Truth be told, I never really wanted to put my new address on my DL in the first place, because I view this apartment as only a temporary residence - 1-2 years tops - and then I will be ready to buy a house. I wanted as little mail going to my apartment as possible, so there are less things to redirect until I have a permanent residence - my own house. I live 15 minutes away from my parents so it doesn't bother me to make a weekly visit and pick up my mail.

According to Indiana Code dealing with regulation of handguns and handgun licenses (LTCH), you can be charged with a B misdemeanor for not notifying ISP of your address change:

IC 35-47-2-3

(i) If a person who holds a valid license to carry a handgun issued under this chapter:
    (1) changes the person's name;
    (2) changes the person's address; or
    (3) experiences a change, including an arrest or a conviction, that may affect the person's status as a proper person (as defined in IC 35-47-1-7) or otherwise disqualify the person from holding a license;
    the person shall, not later than thirty (30) days after the date of a change described under subdivision (3), and not later than sixty (60) days after the date of the change described under subdivision (1) or (2), notify the superintendent, in writing, of the event described under subdivision (3) or, in the case of a change under subdivision (1) or (2), the person's new name or new address.
    (j) The state police shall indicate on the form for a license to carry a handgun the notification requirements of subsection (i).

IC 35-47-2-23
    Violations; classes of misdemeanors and felonies
    Sec. 23. (a) A person who violates section 3, 4, 5, 14, 15, or 16 of this chapter commits a Class B misdemeanor.

I have cut out several statute subsections not relevant to your question.

In my opinion, it is highly unlikely that the average patrol or traffic officer of your city/county department will push the issue of your addresses being different. ISP may be more strict about it because they are in charge of the issuing of the LTCH. I personally only care that your LTCH is not expired or has been revoked by ISP for whatever reason.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Also keep in mind that when you do change your LTCH address with the State, they will NOT send you a new license, unless you want to pay the $20 replacement fee. So even though your records will be updated and indicate your new address in the system, your old address will still be on your LTCH.

Update your new address, and then update it again when you move in 1-2 years. Its the law.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I actually know someone who keeps it different. Her Indy address is on her DL, but Bloomington address is on her LTCH as that's where she applied for it.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    A few years ago when I moved I updated my LTC address. I figured they would send me a new one,they did not. When I called and asked they said I would not get a new one,but that my address was updated in the computer(I think there was a 5 dollar fee when I sent in the paper work). It is required as other members have said, you are other wise carrying illegally(as your permit is invalid with out your current address on file).Or so I was told...IANAL

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    My LTCH address is for where I used to live, but my new address is in the system. I was told it didn't really matter since the officer was more than likely going to run me through the system. Seeing how it's a piece of pink paper with some ink on it using a generic font I can see why the cops prefer to run it through the system for verification. If they were to give a lifetime license that was like our DL's then I think they'd make you get a new one each time you move. That would be one way of making back the money they'll be losing in a year or so when people would've had to renew their 4 year license. Plus I'd like more than a piece of paper to last around 50 years...or so.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    My DL is different also. I am within 9 months of renewing (to lifetime) so I was not going to spend $20 just to have a updated license for three months. Nothing in the IC says your printed license has to have your current address.

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Just fax the form. Its easy to do. You can fill in the fields before you print. Print it when you're finished and fax it to them. It takes 2 minutes. 3 minutes if you forget to dial a 1 before the area code like I did. :)

Top Bottom