• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have to agree people all to often come into work ready to take out there emotional problems on other coworkers i guess it makes them feel good gives them a sense of control, problem is you never know how close to the edge someone is. I don't want to delve into the mind of crazy, most not all but most shooters are people who feel wronged and alienated real or not. i cant understand why people can not be nice to people, i know that sounds naive. Being cordial would go a long way.

So many people do exactly what you just refereed to. They take out their frustrations of living a :poop: life on all around them. Driving is a prime example. I have seen these attitudes in the workplace. I never much put up with any of that kind of crap letting folks know up front to leave it at the door and pick it up on the way out. Most folks are not so outgoing.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I was asked to build a local threat scenario for a NORAD facility once. They worked in a near nuke proof facility with armed guards behind thick blast proof glass that you had to get past with proper ID to enter. You'd walk up to the door and if you looked like you belonged there you'd get buzzed into a room with the armed guard who would check your ID and then let you use your code to enter the rest of the facility. Very secure, very restricted.

So, their SOP for a bomb scare? Evacuate the building and go stand by a static display on the other side of the parking lot.

My scenario as part of the exercise? Call in a bomb scare. Wait for everyone to gather around the planned place OUTSIDE. Detonate a simulated device at the rally point and have shooters kill all survivors as they tried to get back to their extremely safe and secure facility.

Sometimes people will not acknowledge the obvious until they have been forced to deal with it.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I will note the sign does mention something that COULD help you if you are caught without protection: Treating your coworkers right.

Acting professional, leaving personal issues at home and treating others with respect can help and has. Several workplace shootings have had people passed over. Interviews with the people passed over have shown they respected and treated the shooter fairly in past interactions. Gee, no ****ing wonder right?

[video=youtube;jMo_HcRBnUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMo_HcRBnUY[/video]

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    HR personnel have their own agenda: Their supposed duties are to hire personnel that can do the job the business they work for at the lowest possible cost and least benefits. Their real objective is to (1) Cover their ass against any liability (and the company secondarily) and do anything necessary to keep the peons in line and working.

I have rarely (and I worked as an Engineer in management) saw an HR person make a definitive statement. Their vocabulary must include the words Maybe, but, possibly, if, unsure, rumor, sincerely when replying to any direct question. They also can talk for 45 minutes straight without stating any facts! A group of lawyers could not find a fact in anything they have ever said that can be used against them. Most of them would make great politicians as their statements are framed to make everyone believe they are on their side in any issue ~ when in fact they don't really give a ShXX about anyone except themselves!

I don't know where they get their propaganda bulletins, but must be from other HR persons that are in the business. Most are entirely useless, some downright lies!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I was asked to build a local threat scenario for a NORAD facility once. They worked in a near nuke proof facility with armed guards behind thick blast proof glass that you had to get past with proper ID to enter. You'd walk up to the door and if you looked like you belonged there you'd get buzzed into a room with the armed guard who would check your ID and then let you use your code to enter the rest of the facility. Very secure, very restricted.

So, their SOP for a bomb scare? Evacuate the building and go stand by a static display on the other side of the parking lot.

My scenario as part of the exercise? Call in a bomb scare. Wait for everyone to gather around the planned place OUTSIDE. Detonate a simulated device at the rally point and have shooters kill all survivors as they tried to get back to their extremely safe and secure facility.

Sometimes people will not acknowledge the obvious until they have been forced to deal with it.

Like the way you think! So did they change their SOP?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County

Similar scenario here for the active shooter. You'll notice each building has a Shelter In Place (SIP) plan? That means your super secret hiding place everyone is to SIP, that everyone practices like fire drills or tornado drills, that one? Yeah, all the employees know where it is and how to get there and the escape routes. If this active shooter is a disgruntled employee you're super secret screwed if you follow that plan. My plan is to go anywhere else BUT there.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Acting professional, leaving personal issues at home and treating others with respect can help and has. Several workplace shootings have had people passed over. Interviews with the people passed over have shown they respected and treated the shooter fairly in past interactions...

Might not be a bad idea to stay away from poking (pun intended,) the nasty beehive of inter-office relationships also.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Similar scenario here for the active shooter. You'll notice each building has a Shelter In Place (SIP) plan? That means your super secret hiding place everyone is to SIP, that everyone practices like fire drills or tornado drills, that one? Yeah, all the employees know where it is and how to get there and the escape routes. If this active shooter is a disgruntled employee you're super secret screwed if you follow that plan. My plan is to go anywhere else BUT there.

I see those places all over Andrews AFB, the Pentagon, elsewhere. Institutionalized idiocy. As I'm almost always a 'visitor' I'm not expected anywhere so like you I expect to be elsewhere.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I still think this is some of the best active shooter instruction out there:

[video=youtube_share;r2tIeRUbRHw]http://youtu.be/r2tIeRUbRHw[/video]

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I see those places all over Andrews AFB, the Pentagon, elsewhere. Institutionalized idiocy. As I'm almost always a 'visitor' I'm not expected anywhere so like you I expect to be elsewhere.

Yup. Was the same way in the sandbox. I always took cover "somewhere else"...you know...just in case one of those friendly ANA or ANP were there to great me.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013

The sad part is I thought of your exact scenario as soon as I read the SOP before I even read what said scenario was.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'd believe 9/10 active shooters or potential active shooters shop at Hot Topic.

Or is it 9/10 Hot Topic shoppers are potential active shooters? I can't remember.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    You really think a rubber band is going to stop an active shooter?

I've been doin a lot of training with it and I'm actually gettin pretty good. I'll get 'em in the eye, dontcha worry about me.:thumbsup:

I've got a paper clip under that stack of CDs if things get too hairy.:p

Top Bottom