Active shooter at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think we have a fundamental misunderstanding of what it means to be "in the Constitution".

For the sake of avoiding divisive rabbit trails, I will refrain from making a list of claimed Constitutional rights that are actually not in the Constitution.

Oh, no. I want her to treat the rest of the amendments with the same implications that she's making for the 2nd.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Why not? Lots of people think a bullet will make a gas tank explode like you see in movies.
    Maybe he wasn't a Mythbusters fan.

Also he might have had additional plans to ignite the fuel once he pierced the tanks with bullets.
    Where was his car with the tannerite in relation to the fuel tanks?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Would the shape of the building itself (MB) act as a funnel and channel the sound waves in a pattern ?

That would require much greater analysis from an acoustics expert with much greater information about the building shape and dimensions, and its environment related to other structures. Just looking at a basic diagram of the building and concert venue, being concerned about that gets down into inconsequential minutiae. Hotel shape is a three-pointed star. No two adjacent legs are parabolic (undoubtedly deliberate to avoid light focusing from reflected sunlight) and he was at the end of a leg, not near the center. The prominent effect is not the Mandalay Hotel focusing sound, it's the reflection of it from the high-rise hotels in its immediate vicinity, and from the adjacent facing hotel leg. He was about 315 feet in elevation which gave the muzzle reports nearly unobstructed line of sight to other high-rises. That's substantially different from a muzzle report at ground level which would have all manner of ground clutter absorbing it and limiting what reaches a large glass structure for reflection.

John

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Looking into this further, both Dana Loesch and Colion Noir disagree with the video games angle. Be nice if Wayne stopped taking the lazy route and listened to his spokespeople.

Yeah. I'm sure the high-stakes gambler was addicted to video games. And that's why he did it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think we have a fundamental misunderstanding of what it means to be "in the Constitution".

For the sake of avoiding divisive rabbit trails, I will refrain from making a list of claimed Constitutional rights that are actually not in the Constitution.

Behold the power of "penumbras and emanations."

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Apparently, his car was in the parking garage. But, I'm not sure if that was bad reporting or accurate.

It's what I read too.
    It had to be close to the hotel if he had to carry dozens of guns and ammo to his room.

Not parked near the fuel tanks 600 yards away.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Fyi vegas police say note left in room had numbers on it for wind, elevation, etc.. basically the numbers long distance shooters use.

Yeah it smells more n more...

I'm curious if that guy took some long distance classes.
    Many companies offer those to civilians in the US, like Leupold and others.
    You can probably learn all those things online too.

With such a target rich environment I'm not sure he needed any kind of calculation though.
    It doesn't seem like he targeted specific people put rather just shoot into the crowd.

It's what I was saying.
    It's like 600 yards away.
    I bet I could hit that with iron sights and "no sniper training".
    At least hit one of the two tanks even if I was aiming for the other one. :):

The guy might still have overthinked it and worry about windage even though it was not needed.
    At least the time he took making calculation he didn't use it to shoot his fellow citizens.

IIRC from the pictures, the crowd was 3-400 yds, the fuel tanks were 600ish yds?
    for .223 zero'd @ 100, my 'good-enough-for-3-gun' holds would tell me 4-8 moa drop for the crowd (split the difference and call it 6 moa for ~350 yds) and maybe ~16-18 moa for the towers. I've never plugged in that much downward angle into a calculator, either. I don't know how much difference that would make, if any practical difference at all... Not to sound callous, but aiming center/top of head with that set up would have the rounds dropping right into "center mass." Assuming towers were 20-30 foot tall, just aiming somewhere between the center and the top would get hits.

But for "simulated full auto" into a crowd, I don't think it would matter in the least. I bet holdovers never even entered his crazy sad mind.

-rvb

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    IIRC from the pictures, the crowd was 3-400 yds, the fuel tanks were 600ish yds?
    for .223 zero'd @ 100, my 'good-enough-for-3-gun' holds would tell me 4-8 moa drop for the crowd (split the difference and call it 6 moa for ~350 yds) and maybe ~16-18 moa for the towers. I've never plugged in that much downward angle into a calculator, either. I don't know how much difference that would make, if any practical difference at all... Not to sound callous, but aiming center/top of head with that set up would have the rounds dropping right into "center mass." Assuming towers were 20-30 foot tall, just aiming somewhere between the center and the top would get hits.

But for "simulated full auto" into a crowd, I don't think it would matter in the least. I bet holdovers never even entered his crazy sad mind.

-rvb

The tanks were 2K ft.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    This is a writer for Jimmy Kimmel.

After this tweet, she pulled the "sexism" card at a man for responding to her inane bull****.

DLtld4sXcAA_Kxn.jpg:small

She would have assuredly been one of the "interviews" included in Leno's "Jay Walking" segment . . . for those who remember it. Would have been more hilarious if nearly all he interviewed hadn't been (usually junior) college students. Perhaps that's where Kimmel got her from.

John

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    won't be the last time this is brought up as the reason why the shooting occurred.

Theory of the Case

https://www.steynonline.com/8162/theory-of-the-case

"In this case that is the literal truth. There is only one plausible motive for what this man did. And here it is:

This man wished to telegraph to America in graphic form the hard irrefutable evidence that guns and gun ownership and the ease of gun purchase in America are an evil and must be controlled. On that hypothesis everything now makes sense. And it must be said his concept has a certain demented genius."

Well. To Brits it may seem obvious that this is the case.

Top Bottom