• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    I realized tonight that I have about 40rnds of Ackley Improved 30-06 plus 40rnds of unprocessed brass... Can anyone tell me what this stuff is worth? I may be interested in selling the brass and possibly the live rounds also if the price is right.... This is not necessarily a WTS thread I am just trying to access what it is I have here...

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Not to sound rude, but I doubt it's worth much. Two reasons. First is that not may folks want to shoot someone else's reloads out of their guns, especially one they careenought about to get reamed to a semi-wildcat. Second, one of the advantages to most all of P.O. Ackley's 'improved' rounds is that you can safely fire 'unimproved' factory ammo in the modified chamber to fireform brass. it will aso usually shoot about as accurate, just a couple hundred FPS slower than the improved cases.

Doug K

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Hmmm, Doug is spot-on with this. He must have read the article in the Rifleman about POA a few months ago..lol.. Seriously though, how'd you come across 30.06 AI anyhow? Do you have a rifle for it?

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    Hmmm, Doug is spot-on with this. He must have read the article in the Rifleman about POA a few months ago..lol.. Seriously though, how'd you come across 30.06 AI anyhow? Do you have a rifle for it?

It was my grandfathers... I had no idea what is was, then I was inventorying ammo last night and did a little searching trying to figure out what the "AI" head stamp was... He bought it to shot out of a M1 Garand.... I dont know if the m1 is Ackley Improved however...

Last edited:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Now that is kind of odd. I've never heard of any brass headstamped indicating it was an AI round. It's a wildcat that as far as i know has never been factory produced. Can you post a pic of the case head? I'd like to see it.

Oh, and Blue, nope never saw the article, I"m just old beyond my years!

Doug K

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Well, I couldn't sleep, so I dug out one of my resource books on cartridges and headstamps. (I too am old beyond my years). It seems that your AI headstamp is not Ackley Improved. Like Doug, I was skeptical that the brass was stamped as Ackley because most of his cartridges are wildcats (some exceptions exist). Anyhow, the AI headstamp is Artillerie - Inrichtingen a Dutch manufacturer of small arms and ammunition. Your AI stamped 30.06 rounds are likely wartime manufactured rounds from the Dutch Government. They should be standard 30.06. The Ackley 30.06 would have a 40* shoulder, the only real difference in his load versus the standard 30.06.

hippykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Johnson Co.
    Well, I couldn't sleep, so I dug out one of my resource books on cartridges and headstamps. (I too am old beyond my years). It seems that your AI headstamp is not Ackley Improved. Like Doug, I was skeptical that the brass was stamped as Ackley because most of his cartridges are wildcats (some exceptions exist). Anyhow, the AI headstamp is Artillerie - Inrichtingen a Dutch manufacturer of small arms and ammunition. Your AI stamped 30.06 rounds are likely wartime manufactured rounds from the Dutch Government. They should be standard 30.06. The Ackley 30.06 would have a 40* shoulder, the only real difference in his load versus the standard 30.06.

Ahhh.... Ok thanks for clearing that up for me... All I did was google AI and that is what it spit back to me...

Top Bottom