• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I was finally able to get out and shoot my Springfield Armory Saint Victor 5.56 AR the other day. Was very pleased with the functionality, it fed and functioned well. I was trying to zero my Aimpoint PRO optic. I was zeroing with Winchester M193 55 grain FMJ ammo. At 25 yards it was fine, but at 50 yards it was abysmal. Horrible groups. I know that each barrel likes different ammunition, but there are also certain brands/loads that are constantly more accurate with certain rifles. Does anyone have any experience with AR`s and 5.56 ammunition, and specifically, what brands have a history of being most accurate in AR platform rifles?

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    1000001909.jpg

I've had very good luck with Australian defense industries 69gr 223. https://www.venturamunitions.com/au...s-223-rem-69gr-matchking-hpbt-ammo-20-rounds/

I've had horrible performance from 68gr Hornady frontier in one to eight and one to seven twist barrels personally.

A fellow shooter however has had decent performance out of a 18-in barrel of a Zastava m90 with the 68 Frontier.

Move up in grain weight, and see what happens.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    View attachment 343702

I've had very good luck with Australian defense industries 69gr 223. https://www.venturamunitions.com/au...s-223-rem-69gr-matchking-hpbt-ammo-20-rounds/

I've had horrible performance from 68gr Hornady frontier in one to eight and one to seven twist barrels personally.

A fellow shooter however has had decent performance out of a 18-in barrel of a Zastava m90 with the 68 Frontier.

Move up in grain weight, and see what happens.
    It left out those 223 varmint 1-10" and 1-12" rifles with 24" barrels. I have two of them, they will loose yaw and tumble any bullets within 40 yds over 60 grain Sierras. Both of mine like 40 to 55 grain bullets.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My rifles are all 1-8.
    I haven't found a 62gr ammunition they like. As in 1moa or less.
    I stick with 75-77gr bullets. Handloaded 90% of the time.
    I did find 55gr Fiocchi FMJBT to shoot well in a few of my rifles. Green box stuff. Just around 1.25 moa to 1.5 moa. Might give it a try if you haven't yet.
    I know every barrel is different. You can buy a bunch of different brands, bullet weights, bullet types and try to find out what it likes also.

I've never had any decent accuracy 1moa-1.5moa with any M193 or M855. I don't even buy that stuff anymore of any brand.

Top Bottom