• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They dropped the house another $10K and it went pending that night, not us.
    That price change put the price about $10K less than they paid, then did work to it, paint, carpet, appliances, normal flip stuff.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Sounds like this is a non-issue now but if you continue to house hunt, have an HVAC person at the ready to inspect the unit if that's important to you. IMO you DO NOT want the seller or a home warranty to fix or replace it. They will do it as cheaply as possible and you will have to fix/replace it anyway. You simply want to use it as a bargaining chip and budget for a replacement in the future. While none of us want to, HVAC can be replaced after you get the house. Focus your house requirements on things that can't be replaced/changed like location and infrastructure.

Having built one home and purchased another, both had HVAC issues around age 8. Built home needed a new evaporator in a year, this was done under warranty. By year 8 I had the entire AC system replaced. Furnace/air handler was still doing find at that point. I suspect both issues were due to install quality.

Current house had a 3 ton condenser on a 3.5 ton coil and was undersized for the house size and solar heat load. Had the entire system replaced after going through the first summer and not being able to keep the house below 78 degrees when the outdoor temp was >85. I also suspect install quality & design in this instance. I had to add several new duct runs along with the larger system to fully solve the issue.

Top Bottom