AAR Revere's Riders Carbine Class Dec 10th & 11th, 2016 (Bedford Indiana)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I posted this up first in the Revere’s Riders sub forum butthis type of training and the range itself would likely be beneficial to a muchwider audience. Hence posting it here.
    The class was conducted on the ‘Bedford Contingent’ rangejust outside Bedford Indiana. Although thisis a private range but is available for rent and use by the public.
    AAR Reveres’Riders Carbine Class Dec 10[SUP]th[/SUP] & 11[SUP]th[/SUP], 2016
    First off I need to thank all the folks who put this eventon and made it happen:
    Chilli dog, MohawkSlim, ol' Huff, Rayne, Kevin, Megan, Rob, Josh,Bruce (my apologies if I missed anyone).
    The pictures and video’s are great and tell the story… butnot the whole story. There were a lot ofdrills and rounds downrange that led up to that 1 minute challenge on day two.
    A group of around 22 souls braved the elements on Saturdayand practiced various drills. Shootingfrom 3m out to 300m (use meters and yard interchangeably as its close enoughfor our purposes)
    Good stuff. Practicing walking with your carbine and navigating various obstacles.In fact we got ‘slung up’ on Saturday and stayed that way until the coursecompleted on Sunday. Two point, three point, single point…see what works bestfor YOU during different shooting positions, shooting scenarios,clothing/equipment choices…
    We started off engaging the ‘tango’s’ at 3m shootingcontrolled pairs to COM (Center of mass represented by a paper plate) and theOcular/thoracic triangle (represented by a post it note). 3m is an ideal distance to learn about sightoffset. Unload and show clear before we progressed to the next drill.
    Moved back, en masse to 7m (yds) and practiced the samedrills. Controlled pairs to COM (Centerof mass represented by a paper plate) and the Ocular/thoracic triangle/T box (representedby a post it note).
    Moved back again to the 12m (yds) and repeated the exercise.
    We repeated the exercise moving forward. Holding the carbinein the ready position we moved forward and repeated the drill/s. We did multiple iterations of the drill,moving forwards, backwards and somewhat diagonally. We also incorporated magazine changes (speedreloads and administrative reloads).
    We had the opportunity to check our zero’s at 25 m (yds) andcorrect/adjust to a ballpark 50/200m zero.
    We took lunch break where Pizza was ordered in and wehuddled around propane heaters to warm up around the numerous propane heatersthat were provided.
    After lunch we were introduced to cover/concealment via the useof three plywood obstacles. In thesedrills we not only engaged IDPA targets (again wearing paper plates and post itnotes to concentrate the accuracy) but we also engaged a variety of steeltargets at 100 m/yds and steel torso targets a 200 m/yds. Movement from one cover, magazine changes andall the morning stuff got combined along with resting on the barricade forlonger shots.
    Just when you don’t think it can get any better the movingtarget gets introduced. This alone isworth the price of admission in my book. On a motorized zip line type set up and IDPA target (complete with thepaper plate/post it note set up) can move back and forth. This thing can move FAST. The speed was set to a fast running pace. Wethen got to step out from behind cover to find the ‘BG’ coming fast at us andhad to engage with controlled pairs to the COM and then to the T box. This was a lot of fun. A big thanks to Techres/Joshfor his photography expertise. I reallylike the way he mounted a camera on the top of the target and synched that upwith a GoPro headcam. Thanks for coming out and baring the cold and you didn’teven get to shoot!
    The ‘skills test’/qualifier would comprise of engaging themover with four rounds (two to COM follow by two to the T box), magazine changewhile moving from/to concealment, engaging four other IDPA targets adorned witha paper plates either from concealment (slicing the pie) and/or while moving.Lastly engage, and hit the 100 m/yd steel then the 200 m/yd steel. All to be done within 60 secs. What a great way to wrap up the day and keepwarm.
    Apparently the modern day liberty pole in Bedford is theGolden Coral, especially on a Saturday evening!
    Day two. Warmer thanday one but had freezing rain in the forecast. Less people on day two (12shooters maybe).
    We started off the day with more of the 3m, 7m, 12m drillsto get warmed up. Along with the magazine changes and threat scans we movedboth forwards and backwards.
    The ‘mover’ was set up again and this time two IDPA targets,each with two plates attached-one white one (tango) and one yellow one (goodguy). The targets emerged/ran from oneset of cover to another set of cover, maybe 15m between the two, and all twelveshooters engaged the targets from a common firing line about 7m away. This was repeated a few times and both theaccuracy and efficacy of hits approved substantially. This is another drill you just can’t doanywhere and the results were quite surprising and was a nice way tolearn/introduce ‘time of flight’ (TOF).
    The ‘mover’ and “skills test/qualifier’ was set up again andwe were going to get a chance to qualify. Somehow the four shots at the moving tango morphed into six shots ! (twoto COM, two more to COM then two to the T box) this was to be followed by a magazinechange while moving from/to concealment, engaging four other IDPA targetsadorned with a paper plates, either from concealment (slicing the pie) and/orwhile moving. Lastly engage, and hit the 100 m/yd steel then the 200 m/ydsteel. All to be done within 60secs. Tango’s were located differentlyfrom the previous day. This was the first true carbine qualifier and some folksqualified on their first run, others on their second or third runs (maybe more)but by midday everyone had managed to qualify. Regardless everyone was grinning and having agreat time.
    Before breaking for lunch everyone helped pack up the moverand rearrange the free standing IDPA targets and concealment barricades. The remainder of the day was spent performingvarious drills using both the IDPA targets and the steel targets out to 300 m(yds). The cold, intermittentdrizzle/freezing rain did not seem to dampen anyone’s spirits and I believe wewrapped up and said our farewells around 4.30 pm or so.
    Thanks to all the students that I got to know and the ones Igot reacquainted with over the weekend. We had a lot of laughs. I had never put on weight during a course beforeeither! Pizza, Fried Chicken, cookies,home baked brownies curtesy of Rayne (Thanks), copious amounts of steaming hotcoffee cutesy of Chillidog and much more helped keep everyone warm and fed andprovided opportunities for getting to know everyone.
    This course is perfect for anyone with a basic rifleunderstanding/proficiency on up to the most proficient shooter. There’s something for everyone. If you are even remotely considering acarbine class you owe it to yourself to sign up for this one. You won’t be disappointed. I believe there will likely be another Revere’sRiders Carbine class offered in Spring 2017 and another in the fall (TBD) sokeep a look out for those.
    Happy holidays.
    Nigel

Top Bottom