• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Scam, likely removed a fuse. Offering to prove it before being challenged is a sign of deception.

You listened to your gut. That's the win. Instincts are powerful when you let them work. No need to treat everyone like an ax wielding psycho or your long list twin. Treat them like what they are. In this case a nonviolent con artist.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Scam, likely removed a fuse. Offering to prove it before being challenged is a sign of deception.

You bet it is.

You listened to your gut. That's the win. Instincts are powerful when you let them work. No need to treat everyone like an ax wielding psycho or your long list twin. Treat them like what they are. In this case a nonviolent con artist.

Yes. careful, not paranoid.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I disagree. Paranoia can be useful. I stop 'em with the weak hand up, as stated above, and just say "No, thank you." In the "dad" voice. If anything other than retreat happens, I make a show of reaching. Whether I'm carrying or not. It hasn't gone beyond that yet.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I disagree. Paranoia can be useful. I stop 'em with the weak hand up, as stated above, and just say "No, thank you." In the "dad" voice. If anything other than retreat happens, I make a show of reaching. Whether I'm carrying or not. It hasn't gone beyond that yet.

I'd say the "Dad" voice is a form of establishing "alpha" in almost any situations. Typically most individuals can determine (almost instinctively) very quickly if you are an "alpha" or "beta" and how that will influence your interaction with the rest of the group.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'd say the "Dad" voice is a form of establishing "alpha" in almost any situations. Typically most individuals can determine (almost instinctively) very quickly if you are an "alpha" or "beta" and how that will influence your interaction with the rest of the group.

You bet it does.
    There are three ways to go when it comes to such an uncertain situation: submissive, aggressive, or assertive
    Initially at least, it's always preferable to go with assertive and reserve aggressive for when it looks heading to SHTF.
    You did good with your situational awareness and demeanor.
    BBI was so spot on with his point about the preemptive offer to prove that he was legit, too.
    I don't know if all insurance offers it, but my comprehensive policy offers tows at no charge up to a fairly generous distance, so that's another possible reason for suspicion in this particular instance.

Top Bottom