• USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    AAR - National Pistol Matches @ Camp Perry 2011
    This year I made 2 trips to Camp Perry. The first trip was for the Small Arms Firing School and the Service Pistol Warm-up Match. I attended the SAFS last year and earned 4 leg points in the M9 match. This year I wanted to introduce the sport to some friends and take the Advanced SAFS. While my 3 friends did get to take the SAFS their M9 match got cancelled due to the weather. I shot in the Service Pistol Warm-up Match and then we headed back to Indiana. Other than the M9 match getting called I thought the trip went pretty good. The visit of the CMP store and commercial row made the trip worth it regardless.
    One of the things I took from the Advanced SAFS was the importance of dry firing. At the end of the class a panel of experts took questions from the audience. The panel of experts included 10 time National Champion and first loser on last season’s “Top Shot”, Brian Zins. If you ever get the opportunity to take one of his clinics you will not be disappointed. Someone asked what one thing made the biggest difference in their shooting. Every member of the panel said it was when they realized the importance of dry fire. The guy that asked the question didn’t like the answer (I suspect he was looking for that one magical thing that makes good shooters) and tried asking again but the answer never changed with any of them. I need to see if I can find a list of the other members, off-hand I know an Olympic shooter, AMU armorer, psychologist and 6 time women’s champion were some of the resumes.
    The Service Pistol Match proved to be challenging but after some adjustments on the rear sight I managed to shoot a 94 on the last rapid fire string. The course of fire was the President’s Trophy Match all with one hand.
    · 2 - 10 shot strings of slow fire at 50 yards (10 min)
    · 1 - 10 shot timed fire string, 2 mags of 5 rds, 20 sec each mag
    · 1 – 10 shot rapid fire string, 2 mags of 5 rds, 10 sec each mag
    Total 400 points possible, my sorry ass score was 294. If you plan on shooting at Perry and never have this match is a great starter.
    Up at the crack of dawn Saturday morning my son Patrick and I headed back to Camp Perry. We made good time and after getting my pistols triggers weighed we checked into our room. For $10.98 each person each night the accommodations can’t be beat. AC was cool and the showers were hot. We went to town and checked out a place called Cheesehaven. Awesome cheese and shooters get a discount. We checked out the beach and pier on Camp Perry, made a little tour of the base then lights out. Breakfast in the shooters mess hall was the best yet, all you can eat for 5.50.

picture.php

picture.php

First match is the President’s Trophy Match, first relay, firing point 124 that’s me. Made it to the line early, I hate rushing. My goal going into the matches was to keep the slow fire strings above 85. I thought if I could do that everything else would come together. Frist slow fire string 88, not bad but I started getting a little too comfortable. Second string was a disaster, nervous, sweaty, and stupid. 48 points, devastating end to the match without even firing the timed fire (my best). That’s the Perry experience for you. Tried shaking it off before the next match but I need to work on my mental aspect of the sport. I didn’t throw it in but never could get the front sight to focus the rest of the day. My scores were low but I am glad I went. Last and first time I shot in the National Trophy Individual Match was 1988. I was a young LCPL then and I didn’t appreciate what was going on so I was glad that I made the return trip to pay my dues to Perry. I will take a lot from this experience and come back next year better prepared.
    I didn't do the camer work.:D
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

More pics in my album and here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezRzDeVObNY&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esXd84AcsLw&feature=player_detailpage

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    "Someone asked what one thing made the biggest difference in their shooting. Every member of the panel said it was when they realized the importance of dry fire. The guy that asked the question didn’t like the answer (I suspect he was looking for that one magical thing that makes good shooters) and tried asking again but the answer never changed with any of them."

Some people just want to be told what they want to hear. Please don't complicate our lives with reality and the facts.
    There are many average to below average shooters out there who don't want to face facts and to explain away others expertise by things like gear or natural ability, or because they shoot all the time.

There is not magic bullet for excellence in any field of endeavor.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Excellent AAR. The weather had to be brutal. Savor that 94 for sure.

Ah yes, DRY FIRING, breakfast of Champions. I am a firm believer.

You didn't go to the Bell Mell Tavern? Home of the best pizza in the world?

I think I am just going up for the Garand, M1A, and Rumbold this year. The Rumbold is iffy because we can't find a 4th shooting member. Are you interested?

Last edited:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    :D
    Excellent AAR. The weather had to be brutle. Savor that 94 for sure.

Ah yes, DRY FIRING, breakfast of Champions. I am a firm believer.

You didn't go to the Bell Mell Tavern? Home of the best pizza in the world?

I think I am just going up for the Garand, M1A, and Rumbold this year. The Rumbold is iffy because we can't find a 4th shooting member. Are you interested?

Is Rumbold slang for rattle battle?:dunno: Sorry I don't know but if involves Camp Perry and shooting give me the date and I will see. :D

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    @Dean
    Contact Mogley regarding a fourth shooter. She normally knows who's shooting what.
    @USMC
    Thanks for the AAR. Nice to read about Perry before heading up there.
    This will be my 18th year. Going for the Highpower and Long Range matches.
    The Rumbold is a 4 man Highpower team match.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    :D

Is Rumbold slang for rattle battle?:dunno: Sorry I don't know but if involves Camp Perry and shooting give me the date and I will see. :D

Like Gary said, Rumbold is the NRA Civliian team match. It is held on Monday 8 August. It is held in conjuction with the Enlisted Trophy match, which is the Military 4 man teams.

I was informed that we found a 4th member for our Master, Local Club, match rifle team. I can help find you a team if you want. Guys are always hanging out the morning of the match hoping to get hooked up with a team. One year I shot with a Connecticut team and another year with a Michigan team.

If you are interested in shooting Rattle Battle, I can help you get on a team. It is the most fun match I think, but I won't be shooting it. I think it is Friday 5 August. I don't have the calender handy right now....

Why don't we sign up to shoot the Garand match together and share rifle and equipment? It is Saturday 6 August. You will walk away with at least a t-shirt and maybe a medal. Whaddya say?

Matter of fact bring the young man with you. I will coach him and you if you want. He will have a blast.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What is up with the Lance Corporal with the tats down to his wrist? Have they relaxed the standard? I thought tats had to be covered by the uniform?

I will ask the question to the first Gunney I see at Perry.

And why do you think the still photographer is #1?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It doesn't work for me either. The last pic I can see is the group of Marines with Patrick.

Hey, you wanna shoot Garand match with me too, SmileDocHill? You know, I would forego shooting just to coach all you guys. We could have pizza at the Bell Saturday night......Just say yes.:D

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    What is up with the Lance Corporal with the tats down to his wrist? Have they relaxed the standard? I thought tats had to be covered by the uniform?

I will ask the question to the first Gunney I see at Perry.

And why do you think the still photographer is #1?

I believe the LCPL is a SGT if you are refering to this pic.
    picture.php

Don't know about the standards now.:dunno:

"And why do you think the still photographer is #1?"
    Not following you, :dunno:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    It doesn't work for me either. The last pic I can see is the group of Marines with Patrick.

Hey, you wanna shoot Garand match with me too, SmileDocHill? You know, I would forego shooting just to coach all you guys. We could have pizza at the Bell Saturday night......Just say yes.:D

I tried fixing the link. It worked for me.

Top Bottom