• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I generally don't enjoy typing my thoughts anymore but in the interest of making this community (INGO) better as a whole I'll give it a try.

Who: Paul Sharp, Cecil Burch, Larry Lindenman

What: From the description, "Dealing with an entanglement, whether standing or on the ground is one of the toughest and most harrowing aspects of a violent encounter. It takes a lot of sweat equity, training, and knowledge to come out on top without relying on luck. And now there is a great opportunity to go deeper into this part of being an Integrated Multi-disciplinary Thinking Tactician."

When and Where: 1/27-1/28. Jordan, Minnesota at the SCALE training facility. Side note, I stayed at SCALE and initially it was confusing to get around. Then I found out it was a former mental institution. Made more sense after and was way cooler. Dorm type rooms (Bed, sink, attached toilet with another room) that were clean, too warm, and had the necessities (sheets, pillows, towels, and even soap for the showers).

Conclusion: Your draw and shoot times from concealment do not matter if an attacker can close without you knowing.

Day 1: The first day was all about the stand up grapple. Working hand fighting and getting to the T (an area under the armpit) and from there working towards the back. From there we worked strikes in the clinch, then throws from the clinch. After that we worked managing the clinch while also managing the space between you and a second attacker. In fight weapons access from all angles was covered. This ended with an evolution that I won't give away but you will have an opportunity to work all of the skills taught throughout the day. If anyone has been to ECQC I do have a quarter size scab on my forehead today.

Day 2: On the second day we took everything we learned while vertical and applied it to being horizontal. Weapon access in the clinch, weapon access as the good guy with a weapon, as the good guy without a weapon, and when both have weapons. Some great blocks (periods of instruction) on sweeps, wrist control, positional control on top and bottom, and striking while grounded really tied it all together. Day two ended with another evolution to put together all of the lessons from the day.

Breaks were short. We all worked hard (even the guy with one leg). I'm pretty beat up, similar to any 16 hours of a combat sport. The pace was quick to get plenty of work in. We spent a ton of time drilling. We only got stories when everyone was gassed (two of them are nice). I had my most embarrassing moment in a class (buy me a beer and I'll tell you). My jiu jitsu gave me much more of an ability to problem solve on the ground (no stripe white belt). My boxing gave me good feet throughout the class. My wrestling gave me positional awareness while standing.

Overall I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to take the class. The flight was cheap ($120) round trip, staying was cheap ($28 per night), the food was good, and the company even better.

I ask every instructor for book recommendations. I usually get one or two. I got way more than that from them. The highlights are:
    Willpower
    The one thing
    Traction
    Left of Bang
    Pre-Suasion
    The daily stoic
    Peak
    Relentless
    Mindset

I'll be starting these after I finish Musashi, the book is huge.

Any questions, post them up!

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Awesome! Those are three guys I would recommend anytime. I have taken a number of classes with Paul, and always walk away feeling like I gained something. I have only had short 2 hour blocks with the other guys but still good. How much different did you see this class from Paul's MDOC? (I think you have been to that, maybe I am confused)

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I haven't been to MDOC. I have been to ECQC.

Looking over MDOC it looks very similar down to having the same sweep taught in class posted in the event picture. The big difference was having 3 experts roving around giving pointers, maybe?

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I follow all three of them on Instagram and Facebook. This class came up in the MRSA group. (Midwest Region Shivworks Affiliate)

Realistically I've been waiting for this class since I missed it last year in Chicago.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There are few things as unnerving as wrestling with someone who is trying to pull your gun from its holster.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    There are few things as unnerving as wrestling with someone who is trying to pull your gun from its holster.

This class did a great job of teaching why so many people have "timing issues" during ECQC. They didn't necessarily teach why they were timing issues, rather their solutions helped me make the connections.

To poorly quote Mas, 'When you have a gun on every encounter is an armed encounter."

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I am past the point of wanting to be in grappling matches. I am too old and brittle for that stuff these days. But sometimes you do not have a choice.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am past the point of wanting to be in grappling matches. I am too old and brittle for that stuff these days. But sometimes you do not have a choice.

I went past that point in 1994!

You're right about not having a choice in some cases. It's also true that some people have to accept that if they get grabbed by someone who is above average in strength and skill, they're going to get hurt. You need a certain base level of physical ability and fitness to train stuff like that, and some of us won't have that again. All of us will reach that at some point in life if we don't bite it before then.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I went past that point in 1994!

You're right about not having a choice in some cases. It's also true that some people have to accept that if they get grabbed by someone who is above average in strength and skill, they're going to get hurt. You need a certain base level of physical ability and fitness to train stuff like that, and some of us won't have that again. All of us will reach that at some point in life if we don't bite it before then.

90% of the population would have a serious problem if someone of above average strength AND skill grabs hold. If you have neither, you're screwed. If you have one, maybe you have a 30% chance. If you have both (are on par with the attacker) it's still 50/50 unless you really outclass them in one or the other.

People of above average strength and skill are not to be meddled with without due care.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    90% of the population would have a serious problem if someone of above average strength AND skill grabs hold. If you have neither, you're screwed. If you have one, maybe you have a 30% chance. If you have both (are on par with the attacker) it's still 50/50 unless you really outclass them in one or the other.

People of above average strength and skill are not to be meddled with without due care.

A major problem isn't with the population, rather the gun owning population population. The majority of the gun owning population believes the firearm is some talisman that will enable them to win the grapple, shoot the bad guy, and end the fight there.

Top Bottom