• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    First off, let me state from the outset that this will NOT be an AAR like esrice produces. I am neither that talented nor that disciplined. I don't take notes, I absorb ... and then forget, sadly. So, it will be brief and contain whatever high points I can recall.

That said, I have trained with Dave before. He was the Law Officer Trainer of the Year for 2010, and has written books on his experiences and philosophies. His website (Home) contains a lot more info than I will try to impart here. Suffice it to say that, as a career LEO in the Dayton, OH, area, he brings insight into the criminal mindset that we normal people just can't appreciate. In his career, he took time to get to know the bad guys on the street, as well as in the jail, and it was enlightening -- and downright scary -- to see into a criminal's mind. More on that later.

Dave's presentation began with discussing the essentials of encounters in low-light situations. Rarely are we ever in total darkness, and it's the variations in light and dark in a typical low-light encounter that can spell danger to the unwary. Bad guys generally seek out darkness, so each dark area in a room or on a street corner should be considered areas of threat.

After consideration of the legal and civil costs associated with even a valid self-defense shooting, options to an armed encounter should always be considered -- avoid and evade. If avoidance or evasion are no longer viable options, then violent encounter is the only path left.

Dave avoids the term "defensive" in his presentations, because as soon as a bad guy makes an offensive move, we are naturally on the defensive. He feels that we should train NOT to just survive, but to prevail. That means that we must shift from being on defense to becoming effectively offensive in order to prevail in a violent encounter. And sometimes becoming effectively offensive entails behavior that is foreign to civilized humans, but natural to criminals. As he put it, "The winner in a knife fight is the guy who gets to go to the hospital!"

IMG_4783a_zps74b80c7f.jpg

A point that Dave made about his experience in all departments -- jail, patrol, homicide, SWAT, vice -- is the importance of interviewing the bad guys. He spent time interviewing them, finding out what makes them tick, and impressed upon us that they just don't think like we do. They not only often have nothing to lose, but have street smarts and some experience in attacking those unwilling to effectively defend themselves. And while the training we as civilians often take hones our shooting and tactical skills, it often does little to foster a true combat mindset -- one that will do whatever it takes to prevail, not just survive. The harsh reality is that most of us will never know if we have developed a combat mindset until we are forced into a real-life situation that demands it.

On to the range ...

Dave had us warm up with a "fade-back" drill -- shooting 3 rounds into a 3" square, dropping back a few yards after each set, until we were far enough away (about 15 yards) that our front sights completely covered the square. This got us working on breathing, trigger control and sight picture, as Dave made the rounds and assessed everyone's progress.
    IMG_4793a_zpsa431450e.jpg

There were something like 18 in the class, so we ran the exercises in relays. The course called for about 600 rounds of ammo, and I'd say we ran through that and more. Dave has an impish personality on the range, often challenging students with a deadpan look and then breaking into a grin.

IMG_4801a_zps0ffa8734.jpg

IMG_4812a_zpsd623c067.jpg

IMG_4813a_zpsc419c7bf.jpg

We spent the majority of the first day learning various ways to use a tactical flashlight to investigate surroundings and identify threats, and then various holds for the flashlight that allow a shooter to illuminate possible threats and engage while maintaining control of our weapons. We practiced these on the range with the lights on first -- Harries, FBI, syringe, neck index, etc. -- and then with the lights reduced, then finally in near-total darkness. Having taken some low-light training before, I know how easily we revert to the path of least resistance when under stress -- flashlight in one hand, pistol in the other, and neither working effectively, let alone together. However, Dave didn't really induce any real stress in this course, so most of us were able to see which hold worked best for our individual needs and equipment.

Day Two started with a mini-lecture on the combat mindset, which I have already covered a bit.

IMG_4831a_zps2590ebb9.jpg

And the following slide is reflective of some of the content:

IMG_4835a_zps6782ee7a.jpg

That pretty much sums up the combat mindset. We must be willing to do whatever it takes to prevail, not just survive -- even if that means plucking out the eyeballs of an assailant, or using a ballpoint pen as a weapon.

Back to the range. We did the same fade-back warmup drill, concentrating on the fundamentals of marksmanship. Once warmed up, barricades were erected and the lights were extinguished. The relays worked both sides of the barricades, engaging targets without (hopefully!) shooting holes in the barricades.

IMG_4839a_zps56c0902d.jpg

IMG_4852a_zps57284c4b.jpg

IMG_4866a_zps453a5ac2.jpg

I managed to draw blood -- I always do that somehow -- on one of the particle board barricades, and after dripping here and there, got a Band-Aid for it and carried on. The purpose of this exercise was not only to get more experience using the various holds, but to find out what worked in weird situations -- like shooting through a rectangular opening where the light and gun had to be stacked, or shooting around the left side of a barricade, where shooting with the assist hand might be more effective. The targets were scored (somewhat), and multiple hits outside the critical zones often garnered a comment from Dave like, "Son, are you sure you can see your front sight? Can you see the target? Can you see ANYTHING??" And then a slight smile as he walked on to the next student.

We practiced using our flashlights to identify a possible threat to our sides and behind us, using the light first and then turning to address a threat, first with lights up and then in darkness. Then Dave lined us up by relays and did a "twinkle drill," using his light to light up each of our targets randomly, simulating muzzle flash directed by a threat toward us. We would illuminate the threat and fire (standing or kneeling), kill the light and move laterally, usually running into the guy next to us.

While we were topping off mags, Dave was silently arranging barricades and targets by himself.

IMG_4871a_zps56144eb5.jpg

Then he picked up benches and placed them seemingly at random on the range. Then he kicked brass into the area. And tossed brooms and anything else that wasn't nailed down, until it was apparent that there were two distinct fire lanes littered with junk and stuff. The exercise was to start behind a barricade, traverse the mine field of debris and engage the targets from a distance established by glow sticks about 5 yards from the targets. The targets were three bad guys, one behind a barricade, one exposed, and one hiding behind a hostage. Two effective shots on each bad guy. In less than 15 seconds.

IMG_4872a_zpsb6ef7382.jpg

It wasn't a difficult task, and most completed it without issue. The notable exception was a married couple who accidentally each shot the hostage. We all just assumed that it was a lovers' spat. :D

As is Dave's custom, the class finished with what he calls the "2 x 2 x 2" Drill. Two shots, from concealment, into a 3"x5" card in 2 seconds or less from 20 feet. Why it's not "2 x 2 x 20," I can't tell you. Its roots are in an exercise that a training school for SpecOps and SWAT types did, where an instructor could grab a student at anytime during training and demand that the student perform that drill. On demand. No warning, no warmup. On demand.

Dave hands out challenge coins to anyone who can successfully perform the task. He has had thousands try, and to date only 6 have succeeded. He showed us coin #007, but that's as close as any of us came to earning it. Coin #007 is safe for another class.

IMG_4874a_zpsc70417d8.jpg

In all, it was a good class. For someone with zero experience with shooting at night, I'm sure it would have been plenty challenging. Moreover, it was just a fun class with good students, and an instructor who is good at what he does -- teaching others how to shoot.

The venue was good. Kodiak Firing Range is a unique facility, with a great setup for teaching. In addition to the standard public range with 10 lanes, a couple of them with steel targets set up, there is an adjacent range just for classes that is equally large, with a rubber floor covering about 1/3 of the range, making speed reloads easier on mags. The lighting is adequate for training, but a couple of drawbacks are their ventilation system and the noise from the public range. By the time we would run a drill, there was a significant amount of smoke in the range, and I'm still wheezing today from it. I hear that they will be installing more fans soon, and perhaps that will improve the ventilation.

Also, there was a significant amount of debris ricocheting off the ballistic mats at the end of the range, and everybody got hit with some small pieces. Eye pro is a MUST!

I'll be taking another of his courses in June, and hope that we will have enough time for him to spend a few minutes critiquing my skills (or lack thereof.) I'm pretty sure that if I asked him, he would just look at me with that deadpan look and say something like, "Why? You can't shoot for **** anyway, and there's nothing I can do that will change that."

And then he'd smile and say, "Sure. What do you need?"

Last edited:

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Not like esrice? :rolleyes: Great review!

Haha! Sorry, Anthony. But since you went and left us all up here in the frozen tundra ...

Hope all is well, my friend. I'll lift a shovel of snow in your honor. :):

EDIT: My AAR will not meet the standards set by the likes of esrice and Que.

RacsTrainingCom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Excellent review. I have a lot of respect for Dave Spaulding and I'd like to train with him some day.

Dave Spaulding is a featured instructor at the upcoming RACS Seminar on Saturday, March 15, 2014. The RACS Seminar is held at the Dundee, Michigan Cabela's. (about 17 minutes North of Toledo, Ohio) Now in its 10th year, RACS has drawn attendees from: Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Maryland, and Florida. Click here for complete information: www.RacsTraining.Com

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Dave Spaulding is a featured instructor at the upcoming RACS Seminar on Saturday, March 15, 2014. The RACS Seminar is held at the Dundee, Michigan Cabela's. (about 17 minutes North of Toledo, Ohio) Now in its 10th year, RACS has drawn attendees from: Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Missouri, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Maryland, and Florida. Click here for complete information: www.RacsTraining.Com

The RACS seminar is excellent!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Not like esrice? :rolleyes: Great review!

Yeah WTH. Looked pretty "esrice-ish" to me! He even got pictures!

The only thing missing was a detailed report of lunch and dinner. :):

Don thanks for the excellent AAR! It really helps me understand what the course entailed.

I'm a bit surprised by the absence of . . . . . younger folk. Bravo to those who took the time to develop some very important skills!

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Yeah WTH. Looked pretty "esrice-ish" to me! He even got pictures!

The only thing missing was a detailed report of lunch and dinner. :):

Don thanks for the excellent AAR! It really helps me understand what the course entailed.

I'm a bit surprised by the absence of . . . . . younger folk. Bravo to those who took the time to develop some very important skills!

Thanks, Evan. I never think about AARs until AFTER the course, and then have no pics or details. This time, at least I had the presence of mind to take a few pics. As for lunch, one of the students organized a delivery by Jimmy John's, and not being a fan of doughy white bread, I pressed my lovely spousal unit into food service. She packed me nourishing mystery meat rollup, a bag of baked Cheetos and the ubiquitous celery-and-baby-carrot combo. And water. ;)

As for the dearth of young folk, that's not all that surprising, given that any trip to a public range will reveal that they don't NEED training. They already know it all. :laugh:

But seriously, training is expensive. When I do see youngsters at the range, I realize that it's an expensive hour for someone with very limited means -- range time, ammo, possibly gun rental. This class, for example was over $300, plus 600+ rounds of ammo (I think we actually ran through more like 800 rounds.) That's a lot of moolah for most twenty-somethings, unless Mommy and Daddy fund their hobbies generously. I realize that the days of asking to borrow the car keys are over, but asking for a few hundred bucks to take some firearms training is most likely a no-go for Daddio.

Actually, I wish I had the scratch to sponsor a couple of cop buddies for training of this caliber. I've seen them handle guns, and it's downright scary. And as much as the public likes to hold them up as the paragons of firearms knowledge and skill, the sad truth is that most of them don't have the resources to train adequately, and therefore are surprisingly uncomfortable around guns.

RangerCIB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    Tampa

Where in Florida is the training? Is it near Tampa? That would be a great seminar to go to.

Top Bottom