• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This weekend I had the opportunity to participate in the National Matches at Camp Perry, Ohio. For those familiar with the event, you know it is the pinnacle of markmanship competition for both military and civilians alike.

For those less familiar, here is a description of the match from the CMP website. National Matches

IMAG0194.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

A few years ago I was bitten by the M1 Garand bug. After purchasing one and shooting it, I was in love, and determined to fire it at the National Match. A few buddies and I made good on that committment and participated in the John C. Garand Match on August 4th.

The experience was incredible, and is something every shooter, no matter how experienced, or inexperienced, should do at some point in their life. The event is very well organized, and as is typical of most firearms enthusiasts, is made up of some wonderful people. As noobies to the event, we weren't sure what to expect. Many people were very happy to help us determine where to go, and how to participate.

Our first day we partnered up with some of the "Battle Rattle" teams from the Garand Collectors Association. We were given the job of "Brass Rats" and were responsible for collecting spent cases and clips as the team progressed down the range through the various stages of the National Trophy Infantry Team match. I was lucky enough to be matched up with the top scoring team shooting the M1 Garand, the GCA Michiana team. While they were not able to effectively compete with the teams shooting the M16, they arguably held most true to the original intent of the course of fire, which was designed around an infantry squad of 6 soldiers and two team coaches firing 48 en bloc clips of M2 ball, for a total of 384 rounds.

After the teams completed the course of fire, we took our turn working the pits. This was by far the most unexpectedly exciting experience of the week. The pits consist of a catwalk behind an 8 foot tall berm, reenforced by concrete, steel pillars, and rail road ties. Behind this berm are the retractable target stands that the teams shoot at. I took a short video of what it sounded like during a stage of fire from 500yds. This was obviously my first time to be down range of several infantry squads firing in my direction. I can only imagine how terrifying this must be if those bullets are being aimed at you, and not targets about 6 feet over your head!

The sound is very unique...and almost sounds like someone set off a big string of firecrackers right above your head. The bullets make a distinct "crack" as they hit the carboard targets. It is worth noting that you really can't actually hear the sound of the shot being fired in the pits, and only hear a very slight whizz then very loud crack of the round over head as it impacts.

Saturday we shot in the afternoon portion of the John C. Garand match. We competed in the "as-issued" class, meaning our rifles were exactly as originally issued with stock USGI components.

The course of fire was 5 sighters from 200yds, prone, followed by 10 rounds of slow fire prone for record. The second stage is 10 rounds rapid fire prone, starting from standing. The final stage is 10rounds slow fire standing.

Those of you that have shot in an Appleseed will be fairly familier with these stages. The only difference is that you can't use a sling during the standing portion. That turned out to be crucial for my score.

The target scoring rings were as follows:

X - 3"
    10 - 7"
    9 - 13"
    8 - 19"
    7 - 25"
    6 - 31"
    5 - 37"

The X, 10, and 9 are black, the rest is a light brown paper color. So, when aiming you are looking at a 13" black circle. It is easily seen at 200 yds, but not easily hit by a novice like myself.

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

Rather than a command to "Fire" you would be commaned to "Load and Make Ready" and could commence firing when the targets popped up from behind the berm. Each lane was designated by the numbers down in front of the berm. I was shooting at target 95.

I was able to shoot a 187 - 1X (78-1, 79, 30 for the stages), which placed me as #1067 of 1112 total shooters. So, I wasn't last, but was a long way from the top. The overall winning score was a 291-6 (100-3, 98-2, 93-1) which was 2 shots off the record. I was pleased with the prone stages, but as you can see, struggled with the standing stage. I was consistently hitting low, and had only 5 scored hits of the 10 shots. I made and adjustment to my POA on shot 6 (had 1 hit and 4 misses to that point) and finished well. Should have done that sooner, but I will admit that the adrenaline was pumping and holding the rifle steady was tough. I know what I need to work on for next year!

IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0197.jpg

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am glad you had a good time. Lots of folks are intimidated by the Nationals but really don't need to be. It boils down to a very large rifle match. You got the t-shirt, next time get a medal too.

It sounds like the numbers are way down this year. 1500 to 1700 has been the norm....

I haven't been able to make it to the Nationals so far this year. I am loading ammo for long range next week hoping that I can make at least the 1000 yard matches.

There are several Garand matches with exactly the same format around the State where you can hone your skills. I hope to see you at one.

The www.fwrr.us Garand match is 25 August.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Glad you had a good time at Perry. It is an experience.

The "crack" you hear in the pits has nothing to do with the impact of the round on the target. It is the supersonic bullet passing overhead.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I wanted to go sooooo bad this year, but I still haven't finished rebarreling my 1903's, and besides, I didn't finish finals until earlier this week. Oh well, maybe next year.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great post! Makes me want to make the trip to Camp Perry next year.

You are welcome come come along with us. We're thinking about getting a full team together to attempt the "Battle Rattle." We could use a well trained and experienced long range marksman to help us.

i always said id make it up for camp perry. looks like a great time, id love to shoot a year or 2 solid at atterbury/ftwayne then make the trip

I would advise shooting in NRA Highpower matches to get a feel for the match environment and that adrenaline that comes with it. I had previously only shot in 1, and wish I had shot in more. I wouldn't wait too long to shoot at Camp Perry, just because it is such a great experience and you learn so much by being there. There is no shame in going up completely green and trying it. In fact, many of the people we talked to commended us on coming up to shoot.

I was expecting some noses in the air so to speak from the guys that have been doing this forever, but everyone we talked to and shot with, was very excited to have some new blood out there on the line.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You are welcome come come along with us. We're thinking about getting a full team together to attempt the "Battle Rattle." We could use a well trained and experienced long range marksman to help us.

I would advise shooting in NRA Highpower matches to get a feel for the match environment and that adrenaline that comes with it. I had previously only shot in 1, and wish I had shot in more. I wouldn't wait too long to shoot at Camp Perry, just because it is such a great experience and you learn so much by being there. There is no shame in going up completely green and trying it. In fact, many of the people we talked to commended us on coming up to shoot.

I was expecting some noses in the air so to speak from the guys that have been doing this forever, but everyone we talked to and shot with, was very excited to have some new blood out there on the line.

This is all so very true. Everybody wants to help the teachable newbie.

What is important is not the scores, it is the memories and the willingness to sweat it out with everybody else.

As far as Rattle Battle, the Indiana State team is ALWAYS looking for new members. Did you see the Indiana team under the blue State flag at the Rattle Battle? Plus every team needs at least one new shooter every year. That is the official rule. Heck ya we are going to help the new guys. New shooters are absolutely needed.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

agreed, ive done atterburry a couple times, and was absolutly amazed at how everyone rallied around the new guy to try and help him. i was expecting alot more "serious competitors" than helpfull shooters. i was defintally wrong

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This is all so very true. Everybody wants to help the teachable newbie.

What is important is not the scores, it is the memories and the willingness to sweat it out with everybody else.

As far as Rattle Battle, the Indiana State team is ALWAYS looking for new members. Did you see the Indiana team under the blue State flag at the Rattle Battle? Plus every team needs at least one new shooter every year. That is the official rule. Heck ya we are going to help the new guys. New shooters are absolutely needed.

I didn't see them, but was quickly "recruited" by team Captain Andy from the Michiana team after the GCA team meeting on Thursday evening. I didn't know the rule about new shooters. I guess that is why they asked me to commit to shooting with them next year.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    That would be Andy Giegold. He is a member of FWRR and a true great guy.

If you were a brass rat for the GCA team, you were behind at least one National Champion High Power shooter and the President of Creedmore Sports. Dennis DeMille has been known to shoot on the GCA team... I'll bet there were a couple of National Champs on the team...

You watched them closely? I hope.. Partner, you were around the top shooters in the country. I think I will go to the website and see who shot on the GCA team this year..

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I haven't been able to find the GCA team results yet, but I see that Nick Till won the Garand Match this year with a 291. Nick is from Michigan and lots of us have been shooting with him since he was like 12 years old. He is a past National Service Rifle Champion. He doesn't bother with 6 o-clock or Navy hold. His eyes are good enough that he uses a high center hold. He gets a small crescent over the front sight and sends it into the center.

I also saw that Lynn Richter shot a 295 with his enhanced Garand. Lynn is like 75 years old and has the eyes of a 20 year old. He has been the Indiana State Champ for like 9 times and is a good friend.

I think it is important that we understand our shootng history.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I haven't been able to find the GCA team results yet, but I see that Nick Till won the Garand Match this year with a 291. Nick is from Michigan and lots of us have been shooting with him since he was like 12 years old. He is a past National Service Rifle Champion. He doesn't bother with 6 o-clock or Navy hold. His eyes are good enough that he uses a high center hold. He gets a small crescent over the front sight and sends it into the center.

I also saw that Lynn Richter shot a 295 with his enhanced Garand. Lynn is like 75 years old and has the eyes of a 20 year old. He has been the Indiana State Champ for like 9 times and is a good friend.

I think it is important that we understand our shootng history.

Here was who shot with Michiana:

Competitor Aggregate 1 GCA Michiana 478 -
    Team Captain: Giegold, Andrew
    Team Coach: Topp, Charles
    Steketee, Robert (2235) 0 - 0
    Dean, Thomas (5763) 0 - 0
    Foster, Gregory (11273) 0 - 0
    Scarpino, Franco (11679) 0 - 0
    Quillen, Brian (12855) 0 - 0
    Giegold, Andrew (37206) 0 - 0

I spent a lot if time talking to Andy and Bob. Little did I know Bob was Garand champ in 2011, and President's champ this year. I also had the pleasure of working the pits next to Franco. What a guy!

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    My son started Highpower in May with the Illinois "Hard Dog" Junior team.

We just got back from Camp Perry, I'll add to your ARR.

We both attended Small Arms Firing School (SAFS):
    My son placed 21st out of 650, craziness! (Dad placed around 230th, first time I shot HP)

IMG_0358.jpg

He was the new shooter on the Hard Dog gold 6-man team. He shot a 469 out of 500 in the match placing him in the middle of the group score wise. Their team placed 3rd as Juniors.

IMG_0376.jpg

They also shot the Rattle Battle, next to Garand shooters. The "dogs" were able to get all their ammo off by the 300 yard line. They placed 4th as Juniors with about 850 points.

IMG_0386.jpg

For a first trip to Perry, this was awesome. My son really stepped up and was hitting a stride if you will. I was able to try out the positions and shoot in the SAFS. Team did well. Great people, great times. Looking forward to next year.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    469 is an Expert score. Be sure to get him to to some Leg matches. I think the cutoff for medals and points was 469 at Camp Perry this year.

Great shooting.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I am so interested in shooting some of these but have never jumped in. Thanks for the comments and notes in here. I have had a love affair with the Garand for some time and love shooting it. It would be so awesome to go back to Camp Perry (where I actually bought one of my Garands) and shoot in a match.

I need to be on the lookout for some of the local/regional shoots to get my feet wet.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Great report! Camp Perry is really about the people. If you start shooting there regularly, it is like old home week. I also highly recommend the Small Arms Firing School for rifle and pistol. It is a great way to get "your feet wet" in competitive shooting.

Top Bottom