• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Winterseed? Only on Sunday morning. We enjoyed great weather Saturday and most of Sunday, but Sunday morning was cold, wet, and blowing. The first AQT Sunday qualified and Nick got the Winterseed patch for his efforts. We did not get shut out though, we made five other Rifleman this weekend!

Lemme see what my notes have to say...

Saturday started off a bit slow, we had some work to do with positions and we took the time to make certain everyone was getting the lesson correctly. While it slowed us down a bit following the course of fire it paid off in the improvement we saw by Saturday afternoon. A great bunch of shooters, who were willing to learn, willing to try new things, and open to instruction. The groups tightened up, and IMC was completed, groups moved into the black just in time to get through the positions and transitions. SPQR did a fantastic demo AQT scoring 215 and nailing his re-qualification under the watchful eyes of 14 shooters.

The first and only AQT on Saturday rewarded us with a new Rifleman, well done Nick. We saw several hopeful scores and knew then that the extra time required to fine tune the shooters would be paid back with Rifleman on Sunday.

Sunday's weather was supposed to be a slight chance of light rain early and temps climbing to nearly 60. It was not. Sunday dawned cold, wet, and wind blowing hard enough to worry about losing our mats and pop-ups. We took our safety briefing in the barn and then threw on the rain gear. A Redcoat to get started and then right to squares to get everyone loosened up, check rifles, and do IMC again. We saw wonderful squares, shooters "getting" IMC, and decided to go for AQTs as early as we could.

Then we saw the problem, fussing shots, changing positions, likely due mostly to the weather and the wind. So I threw my secret weapon at them. I gave SPQR the line and told him to give me some 15 minute AQTS. He stepped up and we started the AQT grind. Scores started immediately rising, one new rifleman, one new re-qual, two new rifleman, another re-qual, three more new rifleman! Amazing what happens when shooters start to find the Rifleman's Bubble.

Six Rifleman for the weekend!

Mike was so close as was Kayla, I wish they could have shot another AQT or two, they would have made it I am sure. Jamie got her SHF down and the scores showed it was working, I am sure we will see her again. Corbin locked in all together after his last Appleseed and brought it home with a 210, I love the young shooters. Oreo again nailed a stack of fine targets searching for the next Rifleman score to match his other. He has the skill and when he finds his bubble he will be a force to be reckoned with on the line. Doug, Chuck, POC, Lucas, Malea, Jeremy all showed great shooting.

SPQR - 215
    Nick - 211, 220
    Malea - 220 (irons), 220 (scope)
    Patrick - 225
    Chuck - 220
    Doug - 227
    Corbin - 210

We finished up the day with a bit of known distance shooting, learning that what we teach at 25 yards, works at any range. We did the KD lesson, shot a greencoat at 100 yards, then did our IMC and had everyone on steel instantly.

I love it when a plan comes together.

My thanks to everyone who stuck it out through the weather Sunday morning, came with an open mind, and shared a weekend with us. A huge thank you to the Bedford Contingent for the support they provided. The range, the meals, the spot on advice and encouragement to the shooters, and the warm pant's-melting fire to break the chill.

Some history, learning what it means to be an American, discovering that we still have a country where people want to "exercise the character and dignity of a free people" is what keeps me going. I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend.

Pictures coming soon.

Yellowhousejake

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    And now a little something from HQ and her camera...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a great weekend, and absolutely perfect weather. For February in Indiana I was very excited at our luck! Between everyone that picked up my camera this weekend we took 217 pictures. I haven't had a chance to go through all of them yet- but I picked out some of the more important ones to post this evening. Check back - I'll post more soon!

5466435182_66fe18c125.jpg

One of the many reasons we have grown to love our Bedford Contingent. These guys are a phenomenal group of men! I can't thank them enough for their hospitality.

And without further ado, here are our new Riflemen!!!

5465963261_b8b90ff978.jpg

Corbin!

5465950403_99b1e27691.jpg

Chuck!

5465935007_c6ddc7e04f.jpg

Doug!

5466449910_2196447209.jpg

and Nick!

Congratulations to you all!

And really what would the weekend be without a few re-qualifications?

5466518720_edbacce0fd.jpg

Congrats to POC,

5465900317_95bf8551b4.jpg

and, well, me!

5465867601_163a62a703.jpg

It was a great weekend, here are 'most' of the shooters from this weekend!

5466480876_0db3030f6d.jpg

And here is after SPQR handed the camera off to Auntie Bellum!

YHJ

22lr

Master
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Thanks to you guys for a great weekend. I came with a mindset that Appleseed was a bunch of internet hicks playing mall ninja/SHTF warrior. I honestly didn't feel like it would benefit me in anyway, but any day that I can shoot is a good day so I came/Nick twisted my arm into coming.

Now looking back I think Appleseed and the RWVA is one of the few organizations that I can really get excited about. And by that I mean I hold the RWVA on the same level of esteem as the VFW in terms of a value to the community. I will be recommending Appleseed to everyone I know, and ill be back to verify my lucky score. The level of instruction was very personal and helpful. And I would like to add that at no point in time did any of the instructors give up and shoot me inspite of me forgetting basic positions and shooting instruction. A great program, weekend and a welcome break from the rigors of a rough semester. Thanks again guys, you will definitely be seeing me again. :patriot:

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    22lr, you did a great job - a model student, really, as were Nick and Jamie, too. I really enjoyed working with all of you this weekend. And really - hick, SHTF warriors? :laugh: I love that despite that preconceived notion that you brought that ever important teachable attitude and were willing to change out that notion as the weekend progressed. Welcome to the ranks of Riflemen, 22lr. :patriot:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    22lr, you did a great job - a model student, really, as were Nick and Jamie, too. I really enjoyed working with all of you this weekend. And really - hick, SHTF warriors? :laugh: I love that despite that preconceived notion that you brought that ever important teachable attitude and were willing to change out that notion as the weekend progressed. Welcome to the ranks of Riflemen, 22lr. :patriot:

honestly, he was going to go skiing that weekend before i got ahold of him. i drug him there against his will.

in all seriousness though i had a blast, and next time you guys see me ill probably be wearing my tricorn.:rockwoot:

Chilidog

Plinker
    Oct 25, 2010
    Bedford
    Hey Guys! It was good to meet you at the Appleseed. I too had the same preconceived idea my first seed. You soon find out it truly is a program that is well worth investing time in. I continue to say you can never invest in anything better than another fellow American. And this program gives you the oppertunity to do just that.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I dont think i would be able to make the time commitment. would VERY RARELY be able to do both days of the weekends because of my fire department schedule.

Putting on a Blue Hat has less of a time commitment, but is as much if not more helpful. You do what you can; we're all volunteers. My EMS schedule makes two-day 'seeds relatively impossible for me, too. There are one-day shoots, too, though, and we do those (among other places) at MCF&G. Toss the idea around. Think about it. If you change your mind, we're here.

Blessings,
    Bill

Niecie

Plinker
    Sep 27, 2010
    Next to Yellowhouse Jake
    Hands off, he is a living history Blue hat and we are talking to him this weekend about it. WHat is it with all these instructors trying to grab the low hanging fruit for an orange hat? :rolleyes:

YHJ on Niecie's iPAD

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Hands off, he is a living history Blue hat and we are talking to him this weekend about it. WHat is it with all these instructors trying to grab the low hanging fruit for an orange hat? :rolleyes:

YHJ on Niecie's iPAD

Did i just get called a piece of low hanging fruit?:dunno::laugh:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

YHJ on Niecie's iPAD

This message brought to you by the colors green, blue, red, and orange, and by the number 7.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    :wrongdoor:

Grabbing the low hanging fruit may scare some people off.

Just sayin'. :cool:

...some people. :@ya:

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Did i just get called a piece of low hanging fruit?:dunno::laugh:

Yes, kinda, well not really... maybe

Forgive us but when we find someone with your enthusiasm we get kinda goofy thinking we got another potential instructor.

Now we have two hats to fill, but I think the Blue one suits you better at this point.

YHJ

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Yes, kinda, well not really... maybe

Forgive us but when we find someone with your enthusiasm we get kinda goofy thinking we got another potential instructor.

Now we have two hats to fill, but I think the Blue one suits you better at this point.

YHJ

dont get me wrong, i would love to be an instructor, i am just not sure of the time commitment. i mean i will work one weekend day two out of three weekends. not sure how well that would work out as an instructor since i would very rarely be able to be counted on for a full seed. and even the two day seeds that i would be able to make, i wouldnt be able to show up early to help set up, so i am not sure how much of an asset i really can be, but i am enjoying every minute of it so far.

Top Bottom