• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Awesome class and the rain did not ruin the day. A great day to smell gunpowder in the air. I learned a lot about the fundamentals of good kit and keeping a gun scattergun well fed. Now to analyze the slo-mo video.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    OK, so it was said a few times that for a few of us our "Defensive Shotgun" at home was really an AR-15. I fall into this category. I loading techniques taught in this class were things I've never had to do before. The only shotgun shooting I've done in the past was shooting clays, nothing else.

Obijohn and Rhino explained the different actions of shotguns and various ways to keep the guns running at the beginning of class. The first thing we did on the range was pattern our guns. Started off shooting slugs at different distances and then also buckshot to see how our gun/barrel combo was working with our ammo. And the rest of the range portion was used to get repetitions and trying to load the guns in different ways. We were encouraged to try to port load from a dump pouch, side saddle, pockets, etc. This was a very good class and it leaves you wanting to try and practice everything that was covered. We touched on movement and malfunctions towards the end of class.

This was a very well presented intro class and I already want to start bugging them about the next class on this subject.

Thanks again for another safe and fun class from ACT! :thumbsup:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    As usual, GREAT class with the ACT guys!

This class is a great introduction of using a shotgun for defensive use.

First in a classroom setting you talk about different kinds of shotguns, different sling options, and ways to carry ammo. Shotguns and slings are pretty straight forward, but there are a TON of ways to carry ammo. The great thing about this is John brought examples of the majority of these, so we could all fondle them.

Next it was to the range. We shot slugs and patterned buck shot. It was great to see how the different shotguns would pattern, and especially interesting to see what happens when you shoot buck shot out of a rifled slug barrel. I've always heard what would happen but now I know first hand. You can actually spread out buck shot enough at ~7 yards to almost completely miss a man sized target ;)

Next we got into the real meat of the class: how to load and run a shotgun. We all got to try the different methods a few times, and in between trying it ourselves we got to watch our 'buddy' do the same. This was awesome in itself. (especially for me since Jackson was my buddy ;) ). This gave everyone an opportunity to observe what someone else was doing, since its kind of hard to do that while you're running your shotgun. I learned a LOT just in doing this through out the class.

After trying different loading methods and learning what we thinks works best for us we put it together to do a loading drill. Shoot 1, load 2, shoot 1, load 2, etc. Once everyone had finished this drill we through it all together into a modified Henk drill, complete with a dummy round, loading, movement, etc etc.

As usual the ACT guys are top notch. I'm fairly middle of the road competent with a handgun and carbine, but I've never done anything 'defensive' related with a shotgun. It was great to be able to learn what the options were, how to run and reload the shotgun, and apply it to MY home defense shotgun.

Ive still got a ways to go to feel completely comfortable but I've definitely got the tools I need to get there.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    And I choke people really missed a good time. Noone tell him what really happened:):

Oh, so it's going to be like THAT...

Nobody on the interwebz, at least outside INGO, will have any reason to suspect that the AAR photos showing the use of ball gags and leather posing pouches were modified.

Oh yes he would.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    You will have to admit that the Rhino looked good. Scary, weird, but good.

Oh, so it's going to be like THAT...

Nobody on the interwebz, at least outside INGO, will have any reason to suspect that the AAR photos showing the use of ball gags and leather posing pouches were modified.

Oh yes he would.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If I wouldn't have been where I was doing what I was doing...

I'd have tried hard to have been where you all were doing what you were doing. :D

I need another shotgun class...

Top Bottom