• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ok, I would like to have FM radio capabilities with my existing home theatre setup. But I don't want to buy a new surround sound receiver for $300+. My existing receiver doesn't have FM radio built in. Does such a device exist that will take co-ax FM antenna input, decode it and turn it into audio signal that can be inputted to my existing surround sound system?

Keep budget in mind, I could buy a new home audio receiver for $3-450, just don't want to spend that much if I don't want to.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just plain L/R a/v style cables I think... I'm not home to double check right now. I think it may also have those funky older inputs for 5.1 that is basically 3 color coded head-phone style inputs.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    depending on your receiver/tv/computer set up you can do many things... I'd look into Bluetooth adapters, if not look to run a out put cable from your computer to your TV/receiver..

Many things can be done, but just don't know what you got...:D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It'd be clunky, but a VCR would probably work.
    VCR will decode FM radio? We have a VCR already... hmm... just gotta figure out how to do that...

I'm a "home theatre" retard...

Our TV is an internet TV and my wife likes the online radio (Tunein, Pandora etc) but it drops out sometimes and the leaves the TV screen stuck on 1 screen the whole time it's playing (bad for the screen I'm sure)...

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    How about an ipod with the fm adapter? Or an fm radio with a 3.5 out with a dual male adapter? I'm sure your receiver has 3.5 stereo.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    There are separate AM/FM tuners available. I haven't shopped for one in years so I can't help you on price. They would connect to your receiver just like any other source, cd, dvd, etc.

powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    There are separate AM/FM tuners available. I haven't shopped for one in years so I can't help you on price. They would connect to your receiver just like any other source, cd, dvd, etc.

I second that. Check thrift stores, or ebay. I see them here all the time (Utah) for $10 or less.

Tip- If you find an older analog one, give the tuner knob a good spin. The heavier/more weighted it feels and slower it moves the needle in proportion, the better. Of course that's for older (70's/80's) units. You're probably going to be looking for something newer and digital anyways.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yes, sounds like exactly what I want.

I second that. Check thrift stores, or ebay. I see them here all the time (Utah) for $10 or less.

Tip- If you find an older analog one, give the tuner knob a good spin. The heavier/more weighted it feels and slower it moves the needle in proportion, the better. Of course that's for older (70's/80's) units. You're probably going to be looking for something newer and digital anyways.
    I'll look around... digital would be a big plus.

Top Bottom