• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

If you do not care about the individuals involved in the Secretary of State (SoS) race here in Indiana please choose Mike Wherry for Indiana SoS. By posting this I am not trying to change anyone's mind. I know that if you have a preference you should vote it! I only hope to illuminate how important this race is to us.

The reasoning is simple: by Indiana State law any party that gets just 2% in the SoS race is considered a minor party and has unlimited ballot access statewide. So as long as Mike gets 2% we get ballot access for every seat. This is a huge benefit to us because our candidates do not have to go get petitions signed to get on the ballot.

This is also a huge benefit to Hoosiers, because anytime there is a 3rd party candidate this completely throws off any gerrymandering that the olde parties have put in place. Also, by having a Libertarian Candidate as a choice it allows us to bring in new and fresh ideas along with focusing on fiscally conservative ideas and pushing to keep big brother of of little brother and sisters business.

By Indiana State law IF we were to get 10% in the SoS race then we would be considered a major party and that would REALLY, REALLY change the political landscape.

Thanks for your consideration!

Regards,

Doug

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I know I'm voting for him. I looked him up the other night, and he seems to be in step with my ideals.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    To All,

If you do not care about the individuals involved in the Secretary of State (SoS) race here in Indiana please choose Mike Wherry for Indiana SoS. By posting this I am not trying to change anyone's mind. I know that if you have a preference you should vote it! I only hope to illuminate how important this race is to us.

The reasoning is simple: by Indiana State law any party that gets just 2% in the SoS race is considered a minor party and has unlimited ballot access statewide. So as long as Mike gets 2% we get ballot access for every seat. This is a huge benefit to us because our candidates do not have to go get petitions signed to get on the ballot.

This is also a huge benefit to Hoosiers, because anytime there is a 3rd party candidate this completely throws off any gerrymandering that the olde parties have put in place. Also, by having a Libertarian Candidate as a choice it allows us to bring in new and fresh ideas along with focusing on fiscally conservative ideas and pushing to keep big brother of of little brother and sisters business.

By Indiana State law IF we were to get 10% in the SoS race then we would be considered a major party and that would REALLY, REALLY change the political landscape.

Regards,

Doug

You just personally though this effort gained for your candidate at the very least 4 votes from my household he may have not other wise gotton.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Not trying to start a fight, because I understand what you want to accomplish. Does anyone else have an issue with manipulating the voting process to benefit a particular political party? Isn't this exactly the kind of corruption we rail against Republicrats for?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Not trying to start a fight, because I understand what you want to accomplish. Does anyone else have an issue with manipulating the voting process to benefit a particular political party? Isn't this exactly the kind of corruption we rail against Republicrats for?
    How is a request to vote for someone any different than a commercial that asks you to vote for someone? Do you consider it manipulative for a candidate to attempt to garner your vote by coming here on INGO and talking with folks? (Granted the only one to actually do this was Rebecca. The others just don't care enough to ask for your vote). This request wasn't manipulative in the sense you're trying to convey. It was just a request to vote for a good candidate. One who's better qualified than either of the others, too.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    To All,

Regards,

Doug

How is a request to vote for someone any different than a commercial that asks you to vote for someone? Do you consider it manipulative for a candidate to attempt to garner your vote by coming here on INGO and talking with folks? (Granted the only one to actually do this was Rebecca. The others just don't care enough to ask for your vote). This request wasn't manipulative in the sense you're trying to convey. It was just a request to vote for a good candidate. One who's better qualified than either of the others, too.

Look at the highlighted text from the OP and explain how this request is not an attempt to manipulate the process?

This was not a request to vote for a person. It was a request to vote to benefit a party.

Raoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009

So asking people to vote for a particular candidate so that voters have more, better options to choose from in the future is un-American?

Everyone who votes is attempting to manipulate the election process to the benefit of a partifular party, person, or group. That's what an election is.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    So asking people to vote for a particular candidate so that voters have more, better options to choose from in the future is un-American?

Everyone who votes is attempting to manipulate the election process to the benefit of a partifular party, person, or group. That's what an election is.

But the request is not "so that voters have more, better options to choose from in the future". It is so that the Libertarian Party doesn't have to work to achieve it. Read the OP again.

Except that in this instance the request is made to circumvent state law. That should be a red flag to anyone, regardless of party or political leaning.

So? I have far less problem with this than all of the extremely negative campaigning.

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other, but ok I guess.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    To All,

Regards,

Doug

Thanks for posting. It was one race where I was "on the line". Wherry now has my vote.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Look at the highlighted text from the OP and explain how this request is not an attempt to manipulate the process?

This was not a request to vote for a person. It was a request to vote to benefit a party.

Was it a vote to help benefit a party? Yes.

Was it manipulative? No. At least, not in the sense that I'm being manipulated.

I want to see more Libertarians on the ballot, even if I don't vote for all of them. I guess I could see why you might think that voting for someone you don't believe in, just to get a party on the ballot next time, could be considered manipulation. But I won't vote for someone I don't believe in, despite constant scolding from 3rd-party-can't-win-so-vote-for-the-lesser-evil Republicans. (Those Republicans are the ultimate manipulators, IMO.)

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    But the request is not "so that voters have more, better options to choose from in the future". It is so that the Libertarian Party doesn't have to work to achieve it. Read the OP again.

Except that in this instance the request is made to circumvent state law. That should be a red flag to anyone, regardless of party or political leaning.

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other, but ok I guess.

If you want to see real manipulation, then you should look further into how the Republicans/Democrats have manipulated the laws/rules in order to keep out 3rd parties/ 3rd party candidates and independents.

p.s. I just voted straight Libertarian.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Pick a system, any system, and without even knowing what it is, I can state with confidence that people are trying to game it. It's the nature of systems and the people who participate in them.

Top Bottom