• ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What kind of pistol?

This does happen in some double-stack magazines, due to the way they stagger.

Are you not keeping the magazine to full capacity?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    My Glock mags do it. Tapping the back or bottom of the mag with a swift palm swat usually stops it. You need not be concerned, unless it's not a doublestack mag.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Everyone seems to think that loose rounds in a magazines are normal. Anybody want to offer an explanation as to why a round is loose in the mag with a spring pushing up on the column(s). This doesn't sound right to me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I went and put 200 rounds through it today. No problems at all.

But I agree that it doesn't seem normal. My others don't do it. It is single stack (staggered) by the way.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It is single stack (staggered) by the way.

Its gotta be one or the other-- can't be both. If you've got the Taurus 24/7, then you've got a double-stack (staggered) magazine.

Here is your basic single-stack magazine, where all the rounds are directly on top of each other. 1911 magazines are a typical example.
    wilson2.jpg

And here is the double-stack magazine, where the rounds are staggered and offset from each other. Glock magazines are a typical example.
    magazin_e.jpg

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I've even had it happen in single stack mags.

It's nothing to really worry about; it's caused my cartridge taper.

If you really don't want it doing that (and I do not), buy a more powerful spring and make sure that the rims are sitting right against the back of the magazine.

I notice this more in shorter rounds, such as hollowpoints, much more than ball (or anything else loaded to near max OAL).

Josh <><

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Everyone seems to think that loose rounds in a magazines are normal. Anybody want to offer an explanation as to why a round is loose in the mag with a spring pushing up on the column(s). This doesn't sound right to me.

it's all in how some double stack magazines "stack" the rounds in the tube. the only real problem with it is if you are trying to sneak around and the rattle would give you away. if the mag functions reliably, then the rattle is of no consequence. i carried a 469 smith for awhile that the spare magazines would rattle when loaded to capacity. the pressure of the slide on the one in the pistol kept that one from rattling. i just downloaded my spares by one round. no worries.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    My BDE Mags do the same thing and I think I posted something about this too. Mine rattle a bit also but if you tap the bottom of the mag with a firm palm slap it should stop. If not do it again. I did it too hard and this was the result...

ammoprobs001.jpg

Like obijohn stated, it's nothing to worry about unless you are going stealth for whatever reason. The only way to really correct this is to buy a stronger spring. I would assume you could run into problems with this aswell, but I wouldn't know. just pimp slap the bottom of the mag and it should stop it for a while.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Josh Smith is correct in that it's related to the fact that some cartridges (lile 9mm) have tapered cases. They touch each other near the case head when in the magazines, but that leaves room to move in the front.

It's more or less likely to happen depending the shaped of the magazine (grip angle) and follower. Some do it more, some less. I've never heard of it causing any kind of problems with reliability.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    My sigpro magazines for my sp2340 (they are still steel despite the polymer frame, no polymer-covered mags) sometimes have a little "round-rattle" to them, but there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. Like one of the earlier posters mentioned, all it takes to remedy it is a little tap into the palm of your hand to quiet them. I haven't experienced any function issues either.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    My sigpro magazines for my sp2340 (they are still steel despite the polymer frame, no polymer-covered mags) sometimes have a little "round-rattle" to them, but there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. Like one of the earlier posters mentioned, all it takes to remedy it is a little tap into the palm of your hand to quiet them. I haven't experienced any function issues either.

One of my mags for my SigPro 2022 has a little round rattle as well. Hasn't affected reliability at all, though I wouldn't carry with that magazine (because of the noise).

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    One of my mags for my SigPro 2022 has a little round rattle as well. Hasn't affected reliability at all, though I wouldn't carry with that magazine (because of the noise).

I have 6 of the 12-round sigpro mags for .357sig / .40S&W, and I have both barrels so I've shot both caliber rounds through all six mags, it seems to be present (just a little bit here and there) on all of them. It bothered me a little at first, but I don't think it's really a big deal. :dunno:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have 6 of the 12-round sigpro mags for .357sig / .40S&W, and I have both barrels so I've shot both caliber rounds through all six mags, it seems to be present (just a little bit here and there) on all of them. It bothered me a little at first, but I don't think it's really a big deal. :dunno:

I have six magazines, and only the one with a glossy type finish rattles. The others with the matte finish don't.

Top Bottom