• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    First you will need a manual (Lyman’s 49 edition is highly recommended). Buy one and read it several times. The rest of what you will need depends on what you will be loading and how much of it you want to load.A Lee single stage press kit including dies and calipers will cost about $250.00 It will be fine for small quantities. A Lee Classic Turret kit with all the extras will run about $300.00. It will work better for handgun because of the higher quantities involved.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    RCBS Rockchucker kit. comes with everything minus dies. I would suggest another manual to go with the one in the kit.
    The RCBS scale and powder drop will be better than the Lee stuff

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    When I decided I wanted to begin reloading, I started talking to people I know who already reload.
    Every last person told me the same thing.
    "Buy at LEAST 2 different reloading manuals, (newest versions you can find) and read both of them front to back BEFORE you buy any components, dies, powders, presses..."

I took their word to heart. I bout 3 manuals and spent almost a year reading, studying, asking more questions.
    Only then did I start amassing the things necessary to begin reloading.

I'm glad I did. There is a LOT to learn BEFORE you get started.
    Do not simply skim through the books.
    Read them until you understand what is being conveyed. If you have questions, ask someone who reloads.

Finally, at least until you know for sure what you are doing, do not use load data that you cannot verify as being published by a powder company, bullet company...
    Do not use Billyjoejimbob's pet load if you can't find it published somewhere.

Be safe, and have fun...

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    RCBS Rockchucker kit. comes with everything minus dies. I would suggest another manual to go with the one in the kit.
    The RCBS scale and powder drop will be better than the Lee stuff

True, but it cost more $$. If you want quality you got to pay. The Lee stuff works and it is the lowest $$.

The Rockchucker kit with dies, shell holder, calipers, and shipping is going to run about $400.00

Last edited:

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    What calibers do you want to reload? How many rounds do you shoot in a week? Month? Year? How much time do you want to spend reloading?

You could safely start reloading for about $30. Or you could spend $2000.

ArmyADub

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Greenwood
    What calibers do you want to reload? How many rounds do you shoot in a week? Month? Year? How much time do you want to spend reloading?

You could safely start reloading for about $30. Or you could spend $2000.

All this, plus what all the others said about manuals. Read one. Then read another. Then research on your own.
    And define what you want to accomplish. The dude who reloads so he can shoot 20k a year has different needs than a competitive high power rifle shooter who is all about hand-rolling his own... And they use different equipment.

Top Bottom