• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    So after reading and hearing the legend of the Glock Reliability for the last 30+ years I finally broke down and bought my first Glock. It would have probably happened sooner but I have short stubby fingers (Hobbit here) and the vaunted G19 always felt a little like a 2x4 to me. The G43 model changed that whole equation. So me and my cousin Elmo take it to Redbrush along with 10 OEM 10 round mags that I pre-loaded the night before with 80 rounds of Winchester NATO 124grain FMJs and 20 rounds of Federal +P 124 grain HST JHPs. I was able to hit with it pretty good but sadly I had 4 failures to feed and 3 light primer strikes. The light primer strikes DID fire the second time around. The problems were with BOTH ammo types. So I contacted Glock via email, explained the problems and sent it back to Glock on their dime.

A couple weeks later I get it back with NO EXPLANATION as to what the problem was or what they did. Only THIS packed in with the gun:

glock-****.jpg

So this wasn't all that helpful so I emailed the Glock rep back and ask him if he could find any more info on what the specific problems were and what all they did to correct it. This was his reply:

"The armorer was unable to reproduce any issue after testing 60 rounds of Aguila 124gr FMJ. The trigger was replaced due to cosmetic issues on the trigger pad."

WTF am I supposed to do now? I can't trust this as a carry gun! Elmo suggests I try shooting it again...but Glock is saying they had no issues & I don't think either of the parts they replaced would cause a failure to feed---right? It could explain the light primer strikes though....even though the rep says it was "cosmetic".

My incredible luck I get one of the few defective new Glocks ever made and they "can't reproduce the problem".

jhopson

Plinker
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Trafalgar
    Have someone video the gun while you are firing it. Then review the videos in slow motion when/ if there is an issue. This could help determine if you are hitting the slide lock while shooting. Just a suggestion.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Hah...was waiting for that!
    You're just overthinking the whole thing ... wasn't this a new pistol? And you only fired 100 rounds? Give it a deep clean ... maybe there was some gunk/burr causing the firing pin (yeah, yeah, striker) to be slightly obstructed causing the intermittent light strikes. Then shoot it some more ... a lot more.

If things clear up, great. If not, move on.

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    ... determine if you are hitting the slide lock while shooting...
    I have a few guns that, for some reason I frequently touch the slide lock and cause a lock back or jam. Other of the same brand it NEVER happens. I haven't figured it out yet other than to pay close attention to my grip when shooting those. Luckily (or maybe not a coincidence at all) the one I have the most trouble with is the one that I shoot least

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    You're just overthinking the whole thing ... wasn't this a new pistol? And you only fired 100 rounds? Give it a deep clean ... maybe there was some gunk/burr causing the firing pin (yeah, yeah, striker) to be slightly obstructed causing the intermittent light strikes. Then shoot it some more ... a lot more.

If things clear up, great. If not, move on.
    I did purchase one supposedly new from an etailer and there was actually oil in the striker channel. There should never be ANY lubrication of any kind in the striker channel of a Glock.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Can I jump on the dog pile too?

Geez man, shoot the thing more. Most guns have at least a little break in period. I can't imagine sending a gun back after just trying to fire 80 rounds. Frankly, I can't think of the last time I put 80 rounds or less through any pistol I've taken to the range.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I agree with you, OP, that it SHOULD have run 100% out of the box. It's a Glock for crying out loud, not a custom-fit 1911 with tight tolerances that have to wear in.

On the other hand, I also agree with everybody else that the only way to know if it's fixed is to shoot it. It looks like that packing slip indicates that they replaced the firing pin spring cup as well as the trigger. I could see how that could potentially cause the problem you experienced...a deformed or out of spec spring cup could bind on the striker and cause light strikes. I'd say clean and lube it good and put a few hundred more rounds through it before you give up on it.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Failure to feed MAY be a limp-wristing problem. Smaller handguns buck more, plain and simple. A good, firm grip goes a long way in preventing FTF problems. A high speed video of you on the firing line with this gun will reveal that, if it is happening. Or just tighten you grip. I know it takes a firmer grip to control my CM9 or P365 than it does to control a big gun like the P320 or G21. I have to hold my Keltec P32 like I'm trying to kill it control it.

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    I agree with you, OP, that it SHOULD have run 100% out of the box. It's a Glock for crying out loud, not a custom-fit 1911 with tight tolerances that have to wear in.

On the other hand, I also agree with everybody else that the only way to know if it's fixed is to shoot it. It looks like that packing slip indicates that they replaced the firing pin spring cup as well as the trigger. I could see how that could potentially cause the problem you experienced...a deformed or out of spec spring cup could bind on the striker and cause light strikes. I'd say clean and lube it good and put a few hundred more rounds through it before you give up on it.
    One caveat the above: don't over-lube it. Glocks don't need much lube and only in a few places. Too much lube causes more problems than not enough.

Top Bottom