• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    First of all this isn't a feel sorry for me or a whining post. This is more about taking a man's word at what he says. I have always made sure that my word was gospel, I was raised that way. Afterall that's all we really have in life. I have always taken the members here for their word, sadly that has changed. I'm not going to flame the member in this post, I will save that for the member feedback. Some wil say that's it's my fault for letting it happen. I agree it probably is.
    1/27/23 a high dollar battle rifle is posted up for sale or trade, just the type that I really prefer. Buy the description, sound good. His feedback here looks good too. I contact the member with a very good trade offer. He accepts the offer. We meet, I do a quick check of the manufacturer information on the receiver and give the rest of the rifle a look. My first mistake. Member assures me that this is a fine running rifle and he has never had any issues with it. Says he has rwo and decided to unload this one. Ok, deal done.
    I didn't get the chance to check the rifle out completely for a few days. 2nd mistake.
    Finally got the time to check this thing out and quickly became aware of the blatant lies from the seller.
    1. Only thing on the rifle that was correct was the upper receiver and barrel assembly.
    2. Lower receiver was a cheaper aftermarket part.
    3. Buttstock was a aftermarket part covered in para cord. Camouflage?
    3. Rifle was totally UNSAFE to even shoot due to the Bubba work on the framelock. It would probably unlocked when firing the weapon, not a good thing.
    Yes. I would have noticed this if I had taken the time to do a proper inspection. Yes, I took the man at his word, yes my fault.
    I did reach out to the seller about my findings. Of course, no response.
    Just wanted to give a heads up about trusting people, even members here with great feedback, you can't really trust every man at his word.
    I will fix this rifle and move on after relearning a valuable lesson.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I gave a man's word to the man whose daughter I asked to marry.

I gave a man's word to the daughter who said yes.

I have no doubt there have been some disappointments to both along the way, but they have not outweighed the blessings of the word.

A lesson I have learned...don't take a man's word lightly....and be careful of those that give it lightly.

Just some off topic ramblings of a blessed man.

Hope the rifle matter works out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. Do tell. Others need to know to avoid this user. The feedback is what makes us different than other sites.
    DEFINITELY feedback on the transaction. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Posting a "-1" post in this thread is optional.

Last edited:

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    It is a hard lesson. I grew like you. Everyone I knew growing up were true to their word. There was never a question once a person gave their word, male or female. You knew whatever was agreed upon was fact, period. As with you, this was a problem later in life when I entered into business agreements with other people who had no regard for what their word meant and no reservations for betraying their own agreements. It is a hard pill to swallow when someone deliberately deceives you. Caveat emptor is a sad state of affairs, but is the reality today. Good luck.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Asking for an opinion.
    When a tentative agreement has been reached in the classies, what then is the appropriate time to wait for a response? Given you have seen activity from the other individual since reaching said agreement. I know we all have lives to lead so that is to be taken into account. A few days? A week? More? Or just drop it and move on? How long are you expected to abide by your word? You also have a life.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Asking for an opinion.
    When a tentative agreement has been reached in the classies, what then is the appropriate time to wait for a response? Given you have seen activity from the other individual since reaching said agreement. I know we all have lives to lead so that is to be taken into account. A few days? A week? More? Or just drop it and move on? How long are you expected to abide by your word? You also have a life.
    I give it 48 hours. If they wont respond to the PM because they are spineless and cant own changing their mind (which is their prerogative) I just let it go. That is assuming the PM shows read and I am seeing them puttering around here reading forums.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I give it 48 hours. If they wont respond to the PM because they are spineless and cant own changing their mind (which is their prerogative) I just let it go. That is assuming the PM shows read and I am seeing them puttering around here reading forums.
    Thanks, can’t tell/find a indicator of read receipt. How do I tell? I opened the all feature and compared to ones I know are read and see no difference.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks, can’t tell/find a indicator of read receipt. How do I tell? I opened the all feature and compared to ones I know are read and see no difference.
    In the message in question, look to the right of the first message. There is a box called conversation info. it tells the last read date of each person in the conversation.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I gave him 48 hours, I still had his phone number in my phone. I texted him twice, no response.
    I will survive this and I will move on. Just to let all the member know that if I attempt to buy or trade a firearm with you, please don't be upset if I show up with a bag of tools and a gun vise to disassemble your firearm and inspect it LOL!!!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I gave him 48 hours, I still had his phone number in my phone. I texted him twice, no response.
    I will survive this and I will move on. Just to let all the member know that if I attempt to buy or trade a firearm with you, please don't be upset if I show up with a bag of tools and a gun vise to disassemble your firearm and inspect it LOL!!!
    And the saddest part? As a swap, It wasnt like he could say "sorry, I already spent the cash. I cant give you a refund." All he had to do was say "Sorry, I didnt realize it was an issue. My mistake. Here is your rifle back." With an optional "We can try the trade later once I've made mine right if you want."

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Just to let all the member know that if I attempt to buy or trade a firearm with you, please don't be upset if I show up with a bag of tools and a gun vise to disassemble your firearm and inspect it LOL!!!
    This is understandable based on your current experience. I would however make it very clear in your negotiations that you'll be doing that.

Personally, I wouldn't agree to those terms. Others may be more comfortable.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    In the message in question, look to the right of the first message. There is a box called conversation info. it tells the last read date of each person in the conversation.
    OK. Found it. Bottom left on my pad.

My “I’ll take it“ Sun. ~ 3:30 pm.

His last read ~ 10:00 am Mon.

There have been 7 total msg. I’ll stand by for a bit, but I’m thinking he would have answered on Mon. if he wanted to complete the deal. Thanks for the help.

I didn’t join this group for or because of the adds. This was my first and probably last interaction with them. Maybe just a case of bad luck/timing.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    OK. Found it. Bottom left on my pad.

My “I’ll take it“ Sun. ~ 3:30 pm.

His last read ~ 10:00 am Mon.

There have been 7 total msg. I’ll stand by for a bit, but I’m thinking he would have answered on Mon. if he wanted to complete the deal. Thanks for the help.

I didn’t join this group for or because of the adds. This was my first and probably last interaction with them. Maybe just a case of bad luck/timing.
    Yeah, bad luck. Ive only had one ghost me like yours did. Overall this place is full of good people.

And I dont get it. Its not like they have to walk up to you and look you in the eye and be embarrassed when they change their minds. Its an email or text. Pretty impersonal and VERY easy to do without feeling too bad.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Yeah, bad luck. Ive only had one ghost me like yours did. Overall this place is full of good people.

And I dont get it. Its not like they have to walk up to you and look you in the eye and be embarrassed when they change their minds. Its an email or text. Pretty impersonal and VERY easy to do without feeling too bad.
    That’s an OK point of view. I guess I might be wired a little differently I lose sleep over that kind of thing if I mess up.

I told freekforge I’d send him a belt to work on last week. 10 buck job. I’ve been wed to the farm since my hired hand went into the hosp. I’ve got a mom down and I’m hand nursing her back to where she can fend for herself. I can’t get to town. Got to load 8 moms and get them to vet in Rensselaer, Fri. PT has me so sore I can’t walk.

My biggest worry is that belt to freek, cause “I Said I Would”, It keeps me up nights.

It’s no big deal, to him I’m sure, except to me. If you say you will do somthing, do it. In print or ftf with a hand shake. If I didn’t have to feed rite now, I’d be in my truck headed to the post office. Welp that’s the end of my coffee time to go feed. BBL.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Asking for an opinion.
    Depends how bad you want the gun. I had a seller on here that I thought ghosted me, sent a few messages, didnt hear back and gave up., a week later he hit me up, had a family issue but made good on the deal.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Depends how bad you want the gun. I had a seller on here that I thought ghosted me, sent a few messages, didnt hear back and gave up., a week later he hit me up, had a family issue but made good on the deal.
    I had an INGOer buy a case of 7.5 Swiss ammo from me a few years ago. He was from up near South Bend I think, and was planning on coming down this way for a ftf deal, but he sent me a check (or money order - I don't remember). I cashed it, but didn't hear from him for probably 2 years, despite sending several PMs. He finally contacted me out of the blue. He had had a lot of major life things happen shortly after we made our deal and that's why he hadn't gotten back to me. I gladly refunded his money (still had the ammo sitting out in my family room!).

Top Bottom