• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Just thought i'd give everyone a heads up. I have been, in the process of a few days, loading up a run of 5,000 LRN bullets. I've been using 5.1g of w231 at an OAL of 1.256. this morning i decided to stop at the 1/2 way point just to check my OAL. What i found kinda surprised me, My OAL dropped to 1.230. I decided to take off my seating die, and to my surprise i found a bunch of lube buildup inside. The buildup was causing me to seat deeper than when i started. Anyways, just thought i'd give everyone a heads up that haven't come across this before.:ingo:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You loadeed about 2500 without throwing calipers on and checking again ? LOL

I had same issue few years ago with some RedLine 240 gr .44 cal cast. It had the stickiest red lube and it was terrible. I ended up getting so frustrated that I just adjusted my seating plug as I went. I was glad to get through those and will never buy them again. Never had any trouble when buying cast bullets from Missouri or Dardas.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    You loadeed about 2500 without throwing calipers on and checking again ? LOL

I had same issue few years ago with some RedLine 240 gr .44 cal cast. It had the stickiest red lube and it was terrible. I ended up getting so frustrated that I just adjusted my seating plug as I went. I was glad to get through those and will never buy them again. Never had any trouble when buying cast bullets from Missouri or Dardas.

I was checking my powder weight every 100 rounds. IDK i just figured once i got the seating die adjusted correctly i wouldn't need to bother with it.

Once i scrapped the lube out(came out as a chunk), it was seating perfect again.

I've never had this happen before, however i haven't loaded up this many in a row before either. Usually everyone 500-1000 rounds i end up switching bullets etc...

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Been there-done that..

Pro, for me+some of the bullets that I load=with Lee Alox, this has been a common occurrence.
    This IS another reason that I use Dillon Dies. You probably know that Dillon has the "Hair Pin" design, where you can dis-assemble your seater die+also the crimp die to clean/remove lube/lead shavings, without losing your die adjustments. For me this is a real time saver.
    I have been "Spanked" by the "Lee Boys" more than a few times on my "Over Priced" Dillon tools, but this is just another example of quality over cheapness...Bill.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Pro, for me+some of the bullets that I load=with Lee Alox, this has been a common occurrence.
    This IS another reason that I use Dillon Dies. You probably know that Dillon has the "Hair Pin" design, where you can dis-assemble your seater die+also the crimp die to clean/remove lube/lead shavings, without losing your die adjustments. For me this is a real time saver.
    I have been "Spanked" by the "Lee Boys" more than a few times on my "Over Priced" Dillon tools, but this is just another example of quality over cheapness...Bill.

Agreed 100%

Dillon is the best out there for production ammo. I have yet to throw a bad round in the 3 months and 10k rounds I've loaded on my 650.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I can not say that!! HA HA....

Agreed 100%

Dillon is the best out there for production ammo. I have yet to throw a bad round in the 3 months and 10k rounds I've loaded on my 650.

Meister, I have a few rounds that have came out--Shall I say less than PERFECT--HA HA..

Each and every of these said rounds were due to "Operator Error" ...Bill.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Meister, I have a few rounds that have came out--Shall I say less than PERFECT--HA HA..

Each and every of these said rounds were due to "Operator Error" ...Bill.

Haha. I can see where that can happen. I'm just super nutty about my consistency so everything has to be perfect.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    You sir, are a true American!

Just thought i'd give everyone a heads up. I have been, in the process of a few days, loading up a run of 5,000 LRN bullets. I've been using 5.1g of w231 at an OAL of 1.256. this morning i decided to stop at the 1/2 way point just to check my OAL. What i found kinda surprised me, My OAL dropped to 1.230. I decided to take off my seating die, and to my surprise i found a bunch of lube buildup inside. The buildup was causing me to seat deeper than when i started. Anyways, just thought i'd give everyone a heads up that haven't come across this before.:ingo:

It doesn't matter if I have ever seen this before. My hat is off to you 110%!

There are folks that haven't and now, they have had the aid of another reloader and they most likely WON'T have the problem because they will check!

WAY TO GO!

:rockwoot:

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    It doesn't matter if I have ever seen this before. My hat is off to you 110%!

There are folks that haven't and now, they have had the aid of another reloader and they most likely WON'T have the problem because they will check!

WAY TO GO!

:rockwoot:

Thanks you Sir!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Thanks for the reminder. I still consider myself new to reloading, so I'm very cautious. I'm not intimidated by the process, but I am certainly respectul about what I am doing. I'm on a single stage and I check my powder measure for accuracy about every 10 rounds and my OAL about the same amount.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Keep up the accuracy Dr. !!!

Thanks for the reminder. I still consider myself new to reloading, so I'm very cautious. I'm not intimidated by the process, but I am certainly respectul about what I am doing. I'm on a single stage and I check my powder measure for accuracy about every 10 rounds and my OAL about the same amount.

GREAT job on staying on point with respect on accuracy.
    For me, if I am loading single stage, I use load blocks, and after I drop the powder charge in all cases, I take one last scan (with a bright flash light) over the powder levels BEFORE any projectile is set in place.

Good for you on establishing safe work habits early on!!
    Rep to Ya...Bill.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That's a good heads-up...if I ever load a large quantity of cast bullets at any one time, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Top Bottom