• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As time goes by we are slowly approaching the moment when the last WWII vet passes into the next dimension. We owe them so much. It is hard to imagine what they went through, and we owe them so much, because without their service, there is a good chance we would be speaking another language now.

I plan on spending Christmas with my father, who is unfortunately showing his 87 years. I fear this will be our last Christmas together, but he so far is proving many doctors wrong.

In all my years, I have only heard a couple of bits and pieces of what he went through. I know he crossed that bridge at Remagan, fought through the Battle of the Bulge, and the Hurtgen forest. He told me there were many mornings where they gave thanks for just waking up where they went to sleep, and many days were happy just to gain one foot forward. They didn't have mess halls or barracks to go back to after a day on patrol. They were lucky to find a tree to hide behind many times.

We are blessed to have had them, and need to remind our children and their children what that greatest generation did for our freedoms.

God bless them all!

Top Bottom