A good reminder for all of us that carry...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Why does the phrase "I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" come to mind? Like the good book says "to everything, there is a season". It just forgot to include "there is a time to draw and a time not to draw".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And if you pull your gun, and the threat stops, it's not going to look good in court when you then shoot.

And even worse, when you have a post that says you will do exactly that.
    Going back to the moment by moment comment. You can intend to shoot but change your mind.

“Yes, officer, I saw the threat and knew I needed to shoot so I drew my pistol. But as I was drawing he must have seen what I was about to do and changed his mind and ran. So in that instant I decided not to shoot. “

I’m not drawing until it’s time to shoot. But I’m not a missle. I can change my mind before I shoot even though the drawstroke was started and I had already committed to shoot.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Now do Intimidation.
    Not a legal scholar so interpretation is beyond my meager skills.. I can and will repeat what I've heard from BBIs on more that one occasion, "there are 92 counties in Indiana and 92 prosecutors, each one will view each situation differently" . I simply boils down to YMMV.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also...

Remember everybody.
    If you are ever involved in an 'incident', or even suspected of being an 'incident', a lawyer could be going through your posts here on INGO.
    Several INGOers have had that happen. And told everybody about it.

So, be careful with your posts.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Also...

Remember everybody.
    If you are ever involved in an 'incident', or even suspected of being an 'incident', a lawyer could be going through your posts here on INGO.
    Several INGOers have had that happen. And told everybody about it.

So, be careful with your posts.
    For the record my real name name is Fred Smith. ;)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Going back to the moment by moment comment. You can intend to shoot but change your mind.

“Yes, officer, I saw the threat and knew I needed to shoot so I drew my pistol. But as I was drawing he must have seen what I was about to do and changed his mind and ran. So in that instant I decided not to shoot. “

I’m not drawing until it’s time to shoot. But I’m not a missle. I can change my mind before I shoot even though the drawstroke was started and I had already committed to shoot.
    Exactly right. I have drawn when appropriate but not had to shoot. That was as a LEO but the idea remains the same. Things can change.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Again, become WELL versed Indiana law IC 35-41-3-2
    I cannot stress this enough. KNOW THE LAW!!!!!
    If you are pointing your firearm at someone, you have to know WHY. Specific, articulable facts that would lead a reasonable person to believe what you believed at the time you used force, deadly force, or threatened to use deadly force. This would likely (never 100%) save you from fear of charges.

Just a small excerpt:

(c) A person is justified in using reasonable force against any other person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force.  However, a person:

(1) is justified in using deadly force;  and

(2) does not have a duty to retreat;

if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony.  No person, employer, or estate of a person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Again, become WELL versed Indiana law IC 35-41-3-2
    I cannot stress this enough. KNOW THE LAW!!!!!
    If you are pointing your firearm at someone, you have to know WHY. Specific, articulable facts that would lead a reasonable person to believe what you believed at the time you used force, deadly force, or threatened to use deadly force. This would likely (never 100%) save you from fear of charges.

Just a small excerpt:

(c) A person is justified in using reasonable force against any other person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force.  However, a person:

(1) is justified in using deadly force;  and

(2) does not have a duty to retreat;

if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony.  No person, employer, or estate of a person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.
    Spot on. Thank you!

22LRFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 9, 2022
    East Central Indiana
    Defensive gun uses are measured in moments. Sometimes drawing is enough to stop the threat. Not always, but good to keep in mind.

I used to have this same mindset of "if I'm drawing I'm shooting", but I've seen too many videos of defensive encounters now where the decision not to shoot was the prudent choice.
    This ^^^^^

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    The whole hour of this guy was good, IMO... but especially this part. He's a defense attorney and indicates even if you do everything right, and it goes to court, there's still maybe a 10% chance you get convicted anyway... what are the situations where it still would be worth it? Even if you ended up in prison?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The whole hour of this guy was good, IMO... but especially this part. He's a defense attorney and indicates even if you do everything right, and it goes to court, there's still maybe a 10% chance you get convicted anyway... what are the situations where it still would be worth it? Even if you ended up in prison?

That you and/or your loved ones live would be a big one for me. If I defend myself and/or others and go to jail over it, I would feel it was worth it. I would hate the state for prosecuting and imprisoning me for it, but that would be a separate issue.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    That you and/or your loved ones live would be a big one for me. If I defend myself and/or others and go to jail over it, I would feel it was worth it. I would hate the state for prosecuting and imprisoning me for it, but that would be a separate issue.
    Yep, when you realize that, xxck. This is really gonna suck.

Top Bottom