• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigShow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    I have a lady friend that moved to Indiana, and I will be visiting her some. I looked at the Ohio reciprocity laws and seen Indiana is not listed. Could someone point me in the right direction to see what I have to do to get an out of state LTCH in Indiana if that is even possible.

Also she is thinking about buying a pistol to shoot, for self defense, and possible concealed carry. So I also need to find the info she needs to own a pistol and then 2nd to get her LTCH. She lives in Evansville area.

Thanks any help is appreciated.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Please see:

Handgunlaw.us

Which is a great resource for questions like this. But if you click on Indiana, you will see that an Ohio permit is honored. In fact, Indiana honors all other state resident permits for non-Indiana residents. So if you have an Ohio permit, you are good to carry in Indiana.

The reverse, however, is unfortunately NOT the case. Ohio does not honor an Indiana LTCH.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm confused. Are you wanting to visit Indiana or is she visiting Ohio? Indiana recognizes all states and foreign government carry licenses, so if you live in Ohio and have an Ohio carry permit, you're good to go to carry in Indiana, too. Otherwise, you can get any state's non-resident permit (Utah, Florida, and Pennsylvania are popular choices).

Indiana itself does not have a non-res permit unless you have business here (for example, if you work more than a certain number of hours per week in Indiana).

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    In answer to your second question. No permit is needed in Indiana to purchase a handgun. As long as you are an Indiana resident and have appropriate ID, like an IN Drivers License, you can purchase (provided you pass the federal background check).

To CARRY a handgun concealed or open in Indiana, you must have a LTCH or License to Carry Handgun. But you can purchase now and keep it at home for defense and you can transport it unloaded and in a case and inaccessible to take it to and from a range or other location. Until you have a LTCH you cannot have access to it in a car.

Legba

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I have a lady friend that moved to Indiana, and I will be visiting her some. I looked at the Ohio reciprocity laws and seen Indiana is not listed. Could someone point me in the right direction to see what I have to do to get an out of state LTCH in Indiana if that is even possible.

Also she is thinking about buying a pistol to shoot, for self defense, and possible concealed carry. So I also need to find the info she needs to own a pistol and then 2nd to get her LTCH. She lives in Evansville area.

Thanks any help is appreciated.

All she needs to buy a pistol is to walk into a gun shop, slap the money on the counter, point at which gun she wants and say "I'll take that bad boy" She will have to show ID, fill out paper work then they will run the background check on her. Once the check comes back clear the gun is hers.

LTCH- She will have to go to the local sheriffs office ask for the forms to fill out for the LTCH. She can take them home and fill them out. The ladies that handled my forms explained every thing right down to the proper amount of postage it took to send it off to the state. Once I returned with the forms filled out and the proper amount of money and postage they finger printed me and sent the forms to the state. Then the wait begins.

If she has the money then I suggest getting the life time permit.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    All she needs to buy a pistol is to walk into a gun shop, slap the money on the counter, point at which gun she wants and say "I'll take that bad boy" She will have to show ID, fill out paper work then they will run the background check on her. Once the check comes back clear the gun is hers.

LTCH- She will have to go to the local sheriffs office ask for the forms to fill out for the LTCH. She can take them home and fill them out. The ladies that handled my forms explained every thing right down to the proper amount of postage it took to send it off to the state. Once I returned with the forms filled out and the proper amount of money and postage they finger printed me and sent the forms to the state. Then the wait begins.

If she has the money then I suggest getting the life time permit.

This, minus the parts about the paper app and prints. App for LTCH is online, and fingerprints are going digital as well.

BigShow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Thank you for all the help, I knew INGO would have the answers I seek. That is bull crap Ohio does not return the favor to honor your LTCH here.

I have talked to her about INGO and when she asked me about finding the info, this is where I told her I would start. She is not planning on staying in Indian for ever at this point, so I do not know if the lifetime LTCH would be in her best interest.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    As I understand it, Ohio doesn't reciprocate because Indiana does not have a training requirement for its license (nor should it). A bill was recently introduced in the Indiana legislature to create a new license with a training requirement to appease gun-grabbing states and hope that they find us worthy of their blessing.

As for your friend, the cost break-even for a lifetime LTCH is 12 years. If she's going to be here that long, then it's worth it. Also note that it actually is lifetime, not just "however long you live here". If she moves back out of state, the license will be deactivated until such time as she moves back into the state again. It will not be valid during the time she is not a resident of Indiana.

dusty711

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    New Albany on the river
    As I understand it, Ohio doesn't reciprocate because Indiana does not have a training requirement for its license (nor should it). A bill was recently introduced in the Indiana legislature to create a new license with a training requirement to appease gun-grabbing states and hope that they find us worthy of their blessing.

As for your friend, the cost break-even for a lifetime LTCH is 12 years. If she's going to be here that long, then it's worth it. Also note that it actually is lifetime, not just "however long you live here". If she moves back out of state, the license will be deactivated until such time as she moves back into the state again. It will not be valid during the time she is not a resident of Indiana.
    I knew that Ohio did not honor Indiana permits but I always wondered why, your post clarified that for me. Thanks, I now know the answer.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Thank you for all the help, I knew INGO would have the answers I seek. That is bull crap Ohio does not return the favor to honor your LTCH here.

I have talked to her about INGO and when she asked me about finding the info, this is where I told her I would start. She is not planning on staying in Indian for ever at this point, so I do not know if the lifetime LTCH would be in her best interest.

You are correct, it is BS that Ohio does not recognize our LTCH. That being true and you being an Ohio resident... I have a job for you. :)

Contact your state legislators. Contact OFCC. Contact Buckeye Firearms Association. Contact, in short, everyone you can think of, and have them all start making noise to your legislators to change the law. Constitutional Carry would be the ideal to seek, however, the likelihood of reaching that goal right now may be reaching too far. Don't let that discourage you. If you can get it, get it. Remove the requirement of a license entirely from the process of carrying a firearm, openly or concealed. (After all, the only reason for having licenses in the first place was to make sure "the wrong people" didn't have guns legally... Of course, back then, the wrong people could be determined at a glance, due to their skin color. "Gun control", at its origin, is racist. Always has been, always will be.)

So make all the noise you can. Remove the prohibition on us carrying there... And give our legislators something to point to and say... "Wow... Look what they did.. Maybe this is something we should think about doing, too."

OK, so it's not a job. It's a favor... I called it a job because the payoff for doing it successfully is huge. How can you beat "freedom" as a paycheck? :D :patriot:

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom