• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    *Warning* Please note that the following legislation has not even been submitted yet. It is just interesting to read.

Representative Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) has proposed giving a $2000 tax credit to people who turn in an "assault weapon". I'm thinking that the market for various inexpensive guns that fall under this proposal would be in huge demand. Have an SKS, Hi-Point carbine, Keltec rifle, AK, AR, etc sitting around? Sell it for a $2000 tax credit!

Downsides: You can only turn in one weapon (not sure if it is one time or once/year) and the program sunsets after two years.
    Upsides: I consider this the Gun manufacturer full employment act of 2015.

Article: Dems: Pay gun owners to hand over assault weapons | TheHill
    Proposed legislation: http://delauro.house.gov/images/pdf/SAFERStreetsAct114th.pdf

So, what say you INGO? Should we flood Rosa Delauro's office with calls of support?

Disclaimer: I really don't want any additional regulation or government spending. But if this were to pass, I'd have no problem claiming the credit.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Why do the Dems always claim to be for gun control when all they do is stimulate sales?

Do .22lr "assault rifles" count?

Reading the bill, basically almost any magazine fed semi-auto is an Assault Weapon (including handguns). So, as long as that .22 doesn't have a tube fed action and someone makes at least an 11 round magazine, you'd be good (you might have to thread the barrel or put a collapsible stock on there, though).

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Why do the Dems always claim to be for gun control when all they do is stimulate sales?

Do .22lr "assault rifles" count?

Sure, but they need to meet certain requirements:

(D) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine, and that has—
    (i) a folding or telescoping stock,
    (ii) a threaded barrel,
    (iii) a pistol grip,
    (iv) a forward grip, or
    (v) a barrel shroud.

I have a 10/22 that meets that description.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Why are these anti-gunners fixated on barrel shrouds? Maybe they shouldn't have been circumcised, I read that leads to issues in later years.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Man... I could buy three hi-points for what, $300? I know two other adults who could turn them in for me and we split the $4000 for "theirs" evenly. Actually, I know a bunch of people I could do that with. However.... that would require that I support some form of "gun control", and that ain't happenin'.

A handsome young man arrived at a party and, once his Porsche was parked, he was surrounded by beautiful young women. One in particular was making a point of being with him for a large portion of the evening. Finally, he asked her, "If I gave you a million dollars, would you have sex with me tonight?"
    "Well of course!", she purred.
    "How about for a hundred bucks?"
    "What?!", she sputtered, knowing from the Rolex, the tailored suit, etc., that he was a man of means, "What kind of girl do you take me for?"
    "Oh, we've already established that.", he replied coolly. "Now we're just haggling price."

No offense to anyone else, and granted, the OP *DID* say he could "almost" get behind this... But I'm no whore. You can't buy my rights from me.

Blessings,
    Bill

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    No offense to anyone else, and granted, the OP *DID* say he could "almost" get behind this... But I'm no whore. You can't buy my rights from me.

You are reading too much into this. From my reading, it actually doesn't infringe on your rights at all. This legislation would be so spectacularly ineffective that all it would accomplish would be to give you a high return on one of your firearms. Oh... And drive up the prices of cheap semi-auto rifles. Consider it a good means to come up with the money for that expensive AR/1911/whatever that you've been thinking about.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    It's also not a check for $2,000. It's a tax credit:

IN GENERAL.—In the case of an individual6 who surrenders a specified assault weapon to the United States or a State or local government (or political subdivision thereof) as part of a Federal, State, or local public safety program to reduce the number of privately owned weapons, on the election of the taxpayer there shall be allowed as a credit against the tax imposed by this chapter an amount equal to $2,000.

Still, though, I guess it might turn into a check cut by the IRS for a bigger refund.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    So they give a $2,000 tax break, (our tax money) per weapon, the anti-gunners get another gun-grabbing badge to hang on their shirt and we drive the price of these weapons up for a couple years.................NO THANKS!

So in theory, if 50,000 of these guns get turned in nation wide, $100,000,000 in tax breaks will be given out?

They'll never use the angle that gun owners caused a $100 million tax shortfall turning in guns they themselves deemed needless..............Or will they?

It's a free country, do what ya want, but I'll choose not to play in their BS games.

Last edited:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    The problem with cash for clunkers is the price of used vehicles went up and stayed up.
    Its a dumb idea and anybody that supports it isn't thinking it through. We can't complain about how the fedgov is wasting our money on stupid crap and then take them up on one of their stupider ideas simply because it would benefit us.Its our money they are wasting.Whether its a tax credit or not.
    The federal government shouldn't be in the gun buy back business, period.
    Ya'll gotta think this through. Why do they want less people to own what they describe as assault weapons? SO WE CANT FIGHT THEM EFFECTIVELY!

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield

IN GENERAL.—In the case of an individual6 who surrenders a specified assault weapon to the United States or a State or local government (or political subdivision thereof) as part of a Federal, State, or local public safety program to reduce the number of privately owned weapons, on the election of the taxpayer there shall be allowed as a credit against the tax imposed by this chapter an amount equal to $2,000.

Still, though, I guess it might turn into a check cut by the IRS for a bigger refund.

This^^

You would have to calculate your tax burden on 2 grand which, very roughly, is going to be in the neighborhood of 2 to 4 hundred dollars?? Probably close to what you paid for the rifle to begin with. The only way it would ever be a "windfall" is if you had stolen the rifle to begin with or it's a POS you have lying around in the corner collecting dust.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

This, a 2K tax credit in the big picture probably isn't going to do much for your taxes.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

A credit is basically a check for $2k. Some folks are confusing "tax credit" with "tax deduction." Deductions reduce your taxable income. Credits reduce the total owed. Credits can take the taxes owed into the negatives. Deductions can only take it to zero. Credits are significantly more valuable.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    No, no, and no. All it will do is send a lot of fine firearms to the chopping block and make gun ownership just that more expensive as cheap firearms disappear from the market.

Besides, all this will do is give more legitimacy to their definition of "assault weapon". "Look how many we melted voluntarily! Clearly firearms owners agree with this measure, so we should make confiscation mandatory. For the children."

Top Bottom